Author Topic: Anyone got any Fall hunting or fishing trips planned?  (Read 805 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Anyone got any Fall hunting or fishing trips planned?
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:46:03 PM »
  Any of you folks have any hunting or fishing trips planned this Fall?  Me?  In twelve days will be heading to the Sawtooth Mtns. with elk, deer, cougar, and a bear tag in my pocket!  The main purpose of the trip is bowhunting elk, but if I can produce a gutpile, the bear and cougar tag may come in handy. ;D  Taking the fishing rod to do a little trout fishing in the afternoons.

What about you folks?

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Anyone got any Fall hunting or fishing trips planned?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:36:32 AM »
I have been helping my neighbor get his Ruger 280 and Remington 700 7MM Rem Mag sighted in. In a couple weeks he is headed to Idoho for a month for Elk. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 01:53:07 PM »
Dale,
What part of Idaho are you heading for?

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
Nothing out of the ordinary, just my annual deer hunting trip. 9 days in the Shawnee National Forest with a great bunch of guys. I can't wait for November.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
Leaving September 16 for a few weeks in FL, camping and fishing (salt and fresh). Return to TN for a November 13-15th Deer/Hog Hunting trip to Catoosa (muzzle loader). Back to middle TN, staying at Edgar Evans state park trout and smallmouth fishing til Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving with family in Nashville and surrounding. Back to Catoosa for another Deer/Hog Hunt December 4-6 (rifle). Nashville for Christmas. Then to LBL where I plan on staying (camping) and small game hunting/fishing until March 1st when I am headed to New Mexico, Arizona, California and up the Coast to Washington state. Hopefully thru to Alaska by August next year.
If the good Lord is willing and I don't drop dead from the stress of trying to wrap up and sell my home and estate.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 04:55:53 PM »
I have been helping my neighbor get his Ruger 280 and Remington 700 7MM Rem Mag sighted in. In a couple weeks he is headed to Idoho for a month for Elk. Dale
I am not the one going to Idoho. It is my neighbor. We just put a new Bushnell 3200 Elite 4x12x40 on his Remington 700 7MM rem. Mag. today. I have to say it seems to be a pretty nice scope. He is taking his Ruger 280 as a back up rifle. I am sorry but I don't know what part of Idoho he will be hunting. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »
This is a pretty special year for me, I've got  tags for mulie, antelope, two elk, and a once in a life time moose. I've told my wife, my kids and the guys at work not to expect much from me come October! Been scouting almost every weekend since August 1 for the moose.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 07:02:21 PM »
Leaving September 16 for a few weeks in FL, camping and fishing (salt and fresh). Return to TN for a November 13-15th Deer/Hog Hunting trip to Catoosa (muzzle loader). Back to middle TN, staying at Edgar Evans state park trout and smallmouth fishing til Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving with family in Nashville and surrounding. Back to Catoosa for another Deer/Hog Hunt December 4-6 (rifle). Nashville for Christmas. Then to LBL where I plan on staying (camping) and small game hunting/fishing until March 1st when I am headed to New Mexico, Arizona, California and up the Coast to Washington state. Hopefully thru to Alaska by August next year.
If the good Lord is willing and I don't drop dead from the stress of trying to wrap up and sell my home and estate.

alan

Man, I am JEALOUS!!!  Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun in the coming months!!!

Jim

- Albert Einstein

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »
This is a pretty special year for me, I've got  tags for mulie, antelope, two elk, and a once in a life time moose. I've told my wife, my kids and the guys at work not to expect much from me come October! Been scouting almost every weekend since August 1 for the moose.

How many freezers do you have?! ;D  How's the scouting for moose going?  Love moose meat, but packing one out doesn't sound like a great time to me!

Jim

- Albert Einstein

Offline Oldtimer

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 02:04:31 AM »
I just applied for a quota hunt at Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge/False Cape State Park.  It is the only place in Virgina to hunt for hogs.
You only get drawn for one day, but can hunt standby other days.  Toward the end of the week, there are usually open slots each day, but the kill is much lower.  It is a wonderful area to visit, and even if I don't take any hogs, I will get lots of pictures.  They hunt deer there, too, but their best bucks are about the size of yearlings in my area of Virginia, so I have no desire to burn a tag on one of them.
I might go to Georgia in November to do some deer hunting, and am in Louisiana the first week of December on church business, and might get in a little hunting there, too, if I am lucky and not too busy.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »
and am in Louisiana the first week of December on church business, and might get in a little hunting there, too, if I am lucky and not too busy.

What kind of hunting are you looking at in La?  Woodcock is a great time if you have a dog...

Jim

- Albert Einstein

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »
Just the annual pilgrimage to COLORADO to get my year's supply of elk meat.  Couple of buddies and I have cow tags we plan to fill w/ muzzle loaders.   

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 05:58:02 AM »
Already been on two trips this year.  10th of Aug we drove 250 miles to the Taylor Highway and my partners shot two Caribou opening day.  On the 14th I drove down to the Alaska Range and shot a Caribou the next morning.  Moose opened the 1st of September, have not been out yet.  Will probably go next Saturday for a couple of days.  Went out calling for Coyote last night, had several answer, but none came in.  Too many duck hunters on the flood plain during the day, got them pretty edgy now.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 06:26:30 AM »
I will be traveling to North Carolina to deer hunt on my son's lease, at least a couple of times.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »
Already been on two trips this year.  10th of Aug we drove 250 miles to the Taylor Highway and my partners shot two Caribou opening day.  On the 14th I drove down to the Alaska Range and shot a Caribou the next morning.  Moose opened the 1st of September, have not been out yet.  Will probably go next Saturday for a couple of days.  Went out calling for Coyote last night, had several answer, but none came in.  Too many duck hunters on the flood plain during the day, got them pretty edgy now.

Hey Sourdough,
Do any upland bird hunting up there?  If so, what kind of birds and how's the hunting?

Jim

- Albert Einstein

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 05:27:28 PM »
I'm going to Newfoundland for moose in October!

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 05:37:55 PM »
I'm going to Newfoundland for moose in October!

NO WAY!!!!  Wow, now that would be a hunt and a half!  Are you going to buy a bear tag just in case?

Jim

- Albert Einstein