Author Topic: Finally did it!!! Bushmaster.  (Read 1137 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Finally did it!!! Bushmaster.
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »
After wanting an 'assalt' rifle for ages, I have finally broken down and took the plunge.  I had agonized over and over whether to buy an AR or one of the new Ruger Minis.  The AR finally won because it is so much easier to get Hi-Cap magazines. 
I was talking with my wife today about the 'possibility' of Obama getting in office and the fact that if we wanted (she likes them too) an 'AR' type rifle, we had better do it now.  She voiced that would likely be a good idea, so before she could take it back I sprinted to my car! 
With a promise to try to stay within the budget, I had pretty well made up my mind that I needed to fall into a bargan and I would not spend over 'X' amount of dollars.  I walked in and there she was.  A Bushmaster A2 style receiver in a carbine for only $580.  AND it even had a muzzle brake on it which was a feature I wanted.  (Yes, I KNOW they are louder)  The rest, as they say, is history.  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Finally did it!!! Bushmaster.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 02:12:22 AM »
You will enjoy it. My bushmaster is so reliable and accurate.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 03:03:04 AM »
Way to go 44man, welcome to the world of AR's. I must warn you however, that these things are addictive. Be sure and stock up on ammo, as prices aren't getting any cheaper. A friend of mine just joined the AR family, after years of telling me no one needs an assualt rifle, and he's already trying to figure out what goodies he wants to add to the rifle. Have fun!! John R. :)

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:15:09 AM »
I know what you mean John, I'm already looking at another caliber (6.8) upper!  I do like the simple lines of this gun, however.  We'll try that veritcal grip a few times, but I already think I may take it off.  The next upper will be a flat top for easier optics.  44 Man.

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 03:11:09 AM »
Nice gun.  Good price I might add!  Like the other posts state, these things are addictive.  I picked up a Bushy Varminter a few years ago.  I now have a AP4 in .308 on order (about 6 month wait :-[).  I would also like to get a .243 WSSM, a 16" lightweight flattop carbine, and exactly what you have!

Have fun!!!

Offline phalanx

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »
If Obama gets in office you may need that AR.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 06:52:28 AM »
Give that forward pistol grip a good workout. You may like it more than you think. ;)
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:19:31 PM »
Phalanx, I know what you mean!  That's why I finally got off my butt just went out and did it!  Shucks, I didn't need an AR type rifle to shoot .223.  I have a wonderful little single shot H&R that does that wonderfully!  But that's not the point is it.  The Democratic national committe has already announced that they will go after another assault weapons bill if OBama get in, but this time with the added wording making the 'posession' of an AR type rifle illegal.  So I bought one!  OBama is popular with the city folk who don't know any better, but Palin has electrified the gun vote!  This will be a tight one but I think we can prevail, we HAVE to, or we'll be on a long, slippery slope.  44 Man.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:57:14 PM »
Obama is making a real fool of himself ,and the more the Media goes after Palin the more the people love her.
Sarah has weathered this before in Alaska , and i think it will be a landslide for McCain.
Most the Ranchers around here now carry an AR ,  but we live close to the Border and they say that to many times they needed to have something better than just a pistol.
Myself i love my Winchester 94 and 1886 ,and i still shoot my Colt SAA.
But the reality of the day is what you just bought , I hope you like it , if you get crazy again 44Man , go put an Eotek sight on it.
Or a Leupold CQT ,the rifle then shoots better than you do ??
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 03:00:00 AM »
I have only one high capacity magazine for my AR. I think it is time to buy several more.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 06:29:22 AM »
One Mag ? at least get a field pack ,the little mag pouch with three mags in it.
An AR also should have a minimum of 500 rounds on stand by.
I mean what if the Zombies attack ?

P.S. Thats a nice bike.
Constantine III

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 07:25:15 AM »
Right now I have a dozen 30 rounders on stand by. Also have 1500 mil surplus rounds in 50 cal ammo cans. Plus 1800 handloaded rounds loaded on 10 round stripper clips and 2100 cases ready to be loaded if I just get off my dead rear end and load them. And I still don't have near enough. :o

Offline phalanx

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 01:12:52 PM »
I know the feeling Jim , I keep my KM14 mags ready to go  .
You never think you have enough ammo until like when i had to move it all to remodel the room it was in .
Man that was hard on an old man !!!
Constantine III

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 01:33:47 PM »
Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy that "evil assault weapon". I love to shoot mine. I usually use the ten round mags though. It just fits in the rifle rest a lot easier that way. The only ftf I have ever had with mine was actually the ammunition. A primer came loose and fell in the lugs on the bolt.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »
Grimjim, wait until one falls out and works it's way down into the trigger mechanism. Almost impossible to find the problem and royally jams one up.

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 04:44:16 PM »
I just ordered a 5 roung magazine (for legal hunting here in Michigan), 3 20's, and 2 30's.  The 20's seem to be the perfect size for shooting at the bench, and the 30's are just because I can!  I can hardly wait to get it all together!  I also want to put together a 6.8 upper, so I'd better get some of those mags ordered just in case too!  44 Man.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »
You'll enjoy it.  I've had my M4 for about 6 months now and if i could only have one rifle, that'd be it.  With handloads it'll take deer and it is my hog rifle right now.  I'm in Texas so i can hunt with 30 rounders but the 20's are a bit better for weight and not snagging on me or every limb i come near.

Also watch out for all the tacti-cool accessories.  I thought about getting a free-float handguard, but it shoots so good with the factory one that I don't see the need to spend the money...not for what I use it for.  just get what you need and keep it simple.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 08:10:08 PM »
44 Man has been bitten by the Bug ,he is lost to us now .
He will have an H&K 91 real soon.
Constantine III

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 06:40:03 AM »
44 Man,
       Congrats on the new gun and I look forward to hearing about you getting your 6.8 upper!  I've owned a 6.8 and you're going to love it.