Author Topic: First Shot different than all others  (Read 654 times)

Offline tominohio

• Trade Count: (0)
First Shot different than all others
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:41:35 AM »
I have a .54 cal Knight MK-85
Is it typical for the first shot out of a clean barrel, to be several inches from the rest of my shots?
I fire several 209 primers to clean the oil out of the gun before loading.
I am shooting saboted bullets and pyrodex powder.
If I change to 777 do you think it would help?

Thanks, Tom

Offline smokepolehall

• Avid Poster
Re: First Shot different than all others
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
it depends on what you used to clean bore with. i have never had or shot a knight. i have found that using any cleaning solution with petroleum products leaves a residue and even shooting caps doesn't do abit of good. my last bore cleaning after hot soapy water is a 50/50 of 91% rubbing alcohol & windshield washing fluid. nice clean dry bore. all my groups at 100 yds have been no more than 1 1/2 "
Keep yer nose into the wind & slip from tree to tree in the shadows, you have come fer pilgrim! Miss Vixen & Miss Phoenix, I am The Vixenmaster!

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:24:30 PM »
I have a .54 cal Knight MK-85
Is it typical for the first shot out of a clean barrel, to be several inches from the rest of my shots?
I fire several 209 primers to clean the oil out of the gun before loading.
I am shooting saboted bullets and pyrodex powder.
If I change to 777 do you think it would help?

Thanks, Tom
Just how many shots do you think you are going to get with a muzzel loader, The first one is the only one that counts you won't get to fire a group at any game so you should adjust the sights to were the first one will do the job.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:44:21 AM »
You may want to try shooting 777.  I have first shot consistency when using fff/777 loose powder in my Knight and that is my #1 reason for using it.

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 07:08:38 AM »
MOST rifles do put the first shot from a cold, clean barrel slightly off from subsequent shots.  The difference is due primarily to the fouling left after a typical after-shot swabbing, IMHO.  Some rifles exhibit a near negligible difference while with with others the difference can be significant.  Always start with a clean and dry bore, alchohol patches followed by dry patches work well for me.  I would advise you to swab thoroughly clean and allow to cool between shots, effectively sighting in for the cold, clean barrel situation.   

But some rifles with certain loads shoot much better fouled, so a squib load before the bench or hunting should give you best accuracy and shot to shot consistency.  Just don't forget to clean before corrosion rears its ugly head.  (Which can be not such a long time with certain powders in certain climates.)   Hunting with a clean rifle is better of course, aside from the possible increased accuracy fouling might gain you. 

I've a couple of rifles that seem not to care whether lightly fouled or clean, the impact is essentially the same.  Other shooters have suggested simulating the fouling by use of a small wrap of newspaper or teflon tape on the first load.  Many claim the tape method works well with that first shot then grouping with the following.   
WHUT?

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 08:45:28 AM »
The way I look at it...The first shot is on target, set the scope for it after you have done your load work...

Then clean and lube the barrel the same way between shots, so you are sighting in with
the barrel in the same condition each time...

In other words, make every shot the first shot...