Author Topic: first shot inches away from my group  (Read 398 times)

Offline tominohio

• Trade Count: (0)
first shot inches away from my group
« on: August 28, 2008, 07:47:15 AM »
I am shooting a .54 cal Knight MK-85
100gr pyrodex, saboted bullet

My first shot out of a clean bore, is several inches away from the the rest of my group.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom

Offline coryj

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: first shot inches away from my group
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:53:03 AM »
I'd guess you aren't swabbing between shots and thats causing your first shot to be out of the group.  The first shot is on a clean bore and the subsequent shots are on a fouled bore.  You should swab after each shot to try to replicate the conditions of the bore for each subsequent shot.  Or fire a squib load to foul the bore before the first shot.  Others will chime in, but I swab after every shot at the range. I hunt with a clean bore and I know that if I need a second shot on a fouled bore that it will be good enough for hunting accuracy.  But for best accuracy you should swab after each shot.

Offline sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: first shot inches away from my group
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:34:09 AM »
tominohio

For me, the first shot out of any of my ML's could/can be off some where.  I do not even count on the first shot, assuming the first shot is on clean barrel.  I always shoot on a fouled barrel, running a damp patch between shots is not shooting on clean barrel, there is always some fouling left in the barrel.

When shooting at the range or target shooting - I will pop a few caps to clear the BP and somewhat fould the bore.  I then take a almost dry windex patch run that through the barrel to distrute the fouling and somewhat clean the bore.  Then I will load up a charge and a projectile and shoot that not counting on it to be totally accurate - it will be close but not close enough.  From that shot on everything will be right where it will be during hunting season - including the bore.

Now, I shoot T7, so I can get away with this if you are shooting BP or the Pyro's, I could not recommend this.  I take the rifle I plan on using for a portion or all of the season and I head to the woods - i will shoot 3/5 rounds form to verify accuracy and then I will field clean the bore with windex patches and then really lightly oil the barrel - then run a couple of dry patches to get as much oil back out as can - but yet still have bore protection.  The bore/gun remain in this condition for the rest of the season - I should amend - that it might even leave it loaded for several weeks.

I know the rules are T7 will eat your barrel out and you should always shoot an oil free bore - and these are good rules - but the windex neutralizes the T7 residue and the oil protects the bore during the season... but remeber it is a very wery light coat of oil..

Just my 2 cents
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - they are a blast....