Author Topic: Colt M4 Range Report  (Read 631 times)

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Colt M4 Range Report
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:43:23 AM »
Just got back from the range with my Colt 6920.  I went to sight in my BUIS but I got an unexpected result.  Once I got set up I fired a round at 100yds using the scope that the rifle normally wears.  Then I removed it and proceeded to sight in the BUIS.  Once I was happy with that, I replaced the scope and fired another round at 100yds.  It hit 1/3" higher than the first round I fired.  These things really do return to zero!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
Re: Colt M4 Range Report
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:43:49 AM »
What exactly is a BUIS?  Sounds like you have a great rifle!

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »
What exactly is a BUIS?  Sounds like you have a great rifle!

BackUp Iron Sight

Sounds like it did what is supposed to do.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 01:24:18 PM »
Thanks Syko for the clarification.  my BUIS is a GG&G unit and is basically an A2 sight that has no elevation adjustment. 

Teddy, the BUIS mounts on the back of the picatinny rail and folds down out of the way so i can mount whatever optic I want...in this case a 3-10X44 scope.  if i have to remove the scope because of damage or low light or whatever, i simply flip up the BUIS and i'm ready to go.  it's the setup i use for hogs because the scope gives me long range capability and with BUIS i have a good option if i'm in the brush.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:37:12 AM »
I'm familiar with the back up iron sights and I think they're a great idea.  I just didn't recognize what the BUIS was supposed to mean.  Somebody needs to make a list of all the abreviations people use now.

That's a great setup for how I hear hog hunting goes.  I'm on the edge of getting back into the AR game, but it's going to be a while unfortunately.  What ammo do you use for hog hunting? 

What size groups does your colt shoot?  I used to have a A2 HBar with a 1-7 twist, but that was long before I ever got real serious about long range shooting.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:42:53 AM »
I load my own.  55gr Sierra GameKing SPBT pushed by 20.9grs of H4198.  I've shot some 70gr Hornady AMax's in it and it likes them a lot.  I use 55s because they also shoot well in my Handi Rifle.  It will shoot 1"-1.25" groups with the 55's and sub 1" with the AMax's. 

The GameKings are great on hogs.  I've only had a few run on me.  With a well placed shot it takes them down well and doesn't destroy much meat.