Author Topic: sad day at gun shop  (Read 2940 times)

Offline RANGER RICK

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: sad day at gun shop
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »
I guess i think a little differently then some. My guns are just material things. When i die i could care less whats done with them. I'm an avid shooter and hunter but maybe the next generation will be into something else. Maybe its cars boats or something else. I bought my guns to enjoy and if there's something else they enjoy let them sell them and I hope it makes there life a little happier. There's a few guns that were my dads and my grandpas that i would like to stay in the family but as to mine i could care less.

I am going to have to agree with Lloyd Small on this subject .
I have a safe full of Rifles ,Revolvers and shotguns .
I know when I Die they will be sold and or handed down , no big deal to me all my firearms are shooters and I have no safe queens although my wife will be quite surprised in the money value wrapped up in firearms when they go through the safe .
A lot of them they have not even seen ...
I buy and shoot my firearms for me and at times my son will join me otherwise they mean nothing to nobody but me so if they end up in other peoples hands after I die I hope they have a great time with them ,they will not know the history behind them when they get them and that will be sad  :'(

RR

PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT !!! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!!!!
HOME OF THE FAMOUS TRYANNOSAURUS THUMPERS !!!!!!!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 12:35:41 AM »
hopefully, i will have only one gun when i die because the rest will be where they belong already; in  the hands of who i give them to.  but there is always the chance of the unexpected...

Offline mattt

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »
I guess we all put a different value on things. I have been a plumber for many years and when I go i could care less who gets all my tools or truck but my guns mean alot more to me.I was at a friends ranch shooting this weekend and we were talking about this and he pulled a old  leveraction out of his safe that belonged to his great grandfather that was killed on the ranch more than a hundred years ago.That gun means more to him than you could believe it is part of his family history.He gets choked up when he brings the gun out and tells how his  greatgrandfather the founder of the ranch was shot by men from a nother ranch over use of a road  . His great grandfather was not armed when shot.If a gun you have is just another tool then I guess John Wayne was just another actor and so on. .I still love the bumper sticker I saw a few years ago" What happened to john waynes america? "

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 04:27:16 AM »

I've been on the receiving end of this, with a twist.  My parents were against me even getting a cap gun for a birthday present.  I didn't even know there was a gun in the house until, as a 14-year old in the mid-70s, I watched my dad trade his issue 1911 (WWII) for a load of a firewood.  Every time I think about it, I'm sick.

This thread does remind me that it would be good to involve my now-grown children in my hobby/obsession, or my collection will suffer the same fate as the original poster described.

Don

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »
If this young man was selling them simply for the cash, then yes it is too bad. But there could be other reasons.
1) He may never have had any interest in guns.
2) His dad may have spent all of whatever extra money he got on these guns, and now the widow may
    need the financial help                                                                                                                 3) It's possible that this gentleman may have taken his own life with one of his guns and no one in the
    family wishes to have them around.
Don't be too quick to judge what someone else does just because you would not do it yourself.
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »
If a gun you have is just another tool

My guns are tools, I use them daily.  So are the other things in my life that I use on a daily basis.  I have a decent collection but having had to sell everything once before, I find I have little attachment to "things".  Iron and wood I can replace, heck I can build most of what I need.  I wish I could have the people that gave me those memories.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 12:23:18 AM »
now thats a messed up grandchild. In his case i wouldnt trust him with a gun!!!
  Seems most are bothered by the fact that the family members of the folks that kept these finrearms din't have interest in them or firearms in general.  It's as though that makes these ppl automatically bad folks.   makes some appear to have some narow minds.  One cannot honestly expect other family members - be that children, cousins, siblings, whatever - to have the same interest in what we have.  I have a friend who collects Corvettes.  he has 6 or so now from each of the designs.  A wonderful collection to hand down to his grandchild.   But wait...his grandson likes Mustangs.  Guess that's a misguided, socially unacceptable, moraly deficinet, uneducated and down right stupid kid.  ::)
  Point is...we all want our children to be thier own person, to be an individual so why when they don't have the save affection for what we do is it so very wrong?  ???
blue lives matter

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 12:48:44 AM »
now thats a messed up grandchild. In his case i wouldnt trust him with a gun!!!
  Seems most are bothered by the fact that the family members of the folks that kept these finrearms din't have interest in them or firearms in general.  It's as though that makes these ppl automatically bad folks.   makes some appear to have some narow minds.  One cannot honestly expect other family members - be that children, cousins, siblings, whatever - to have the same interest in what we have.  I have a friend who collects Corvettes.  he has 6 or so now from each of the designs.  A wonderful collection to hand down to his grandchild.   But wait...his grandson likes Mustangs.  Guess that's a misguided, socially unacceptable, moraly deficinet, uneducated and down right stupid kid.  ::)
  Point is...we all want our children to be thier own person, to be an individual so why when they don't have the save affection for what we do is it so very wrong?  ???
/quote]

Those Mustangs are ok Lloyd...at least as good as my old CJ-7..maybe ;D

BlkHawk73's points are good ones. That is why I keep an eye on Nieces & Nephews as well as the Son, Son-in-laws, and grandchildren as I look for the right one to inherit my stuff.
I am happy right now as my Son is definately the fore-runner.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
ive been reading these posts and there seems to be a sad majority of bad storys as far at what happens when guns are handed down.i have all the 3 guns my gpa left me and would never sell them. my 12 yr old son has all the guns his gpa on his moms side left him and after i explained what they meant he said he would never sell them or trade them.that was 2 yrs ago ,he is still just as determined to keep them. there is hope for the younger generation but yu have to instill the pride in them of who their ancestors were.if they are proud of where they came from ,then the relics will mean somthing to them.

Offline LarryL

• Avid Poster
  • 2004 - 480 SRH
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 03:20:10 AM »

My dad just passed away this spring at the ripe old age of 83.  I let my brother take his Savage 110 bolt 30-30 to give to his son.  I already have my .22 Marlin and my grandfather's .22 as well, so my brother also took my dad's mossberg .22 and his Remington slide action .22 Fieldmaster.  I got the one gun I always wanted, his Colt Woodsman .22 semiauto.  Dad was a lefty, so the shoulder holster isn't right for me.  But, since I carry my Ruger SRH .480 in a cross draw bandoleer holster anyway, the lefty shoulder holster for the .22 might work just fine.  I may end up feeling like a Mexican bandito, but I'll be set for anything from the errant bunny to a 250# monster buck.

When I pass, I don't know what will happen to my guns.  My 17yo daughter has little interest.  I did get her to go shooting with me a couple times.  She actually liked the .45 Gold Cup better than my SIG 228 9mm, but said "this sure is a lot harder than it looks on TV!"  God help me!  I'm hoping to get her to go again one of these days now that I have the .22.  Might be able to improve her form and trigger control before going back to the bigger guns.  My 15yo son enjoys shooting and hunting with me, but his patience is short, and with it goes his ability to shoot well and walk quietly.  He needs to work on maturity and focus a bit.  That seems to be a problem with teenagers in general these days.  I'll keep trying, and hopefully he will get there.  If he does, I'll have a lot of gems to pass on to him someday.  The 30-40 Krag my granddad gave me, the 12 ga Ithaca 37 with both shot and slug barrels, a Bushmaster varminter with bypod and 6-18X Mueller mildot scope, two .22 semiauto rifles, the Colt Huntsman .22, Beretta .32 Tomcat, SIG 228 9mm, Ruger SBH .44, Ruger SRH .480 with 2X scope, Colt Gold Cup .45, and Kimber Tactical Pro II .45.  If he doesn't share my passion, then I guess they will just get sold off by my wife.  Sure would be a shame...
Success is a journey, not a destination...  Might as well enjoy the ride!! 

Just remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.  You can rely on 911 or on 1911. The choice is yours.

Larry