Author Topic: I am SOOO not impressed with Ilion's work  (Read 3386 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
I am SOOO not impressed with Ilion's work
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:33:34 AM »
Gun arrived late yesterday when the BBT hit the drive at 5:45.  Our delivery guy works late, that's his usual time. 

The boxes looked fine, UPS got them here in good shape. So none of this is their fault.

The recoil pad they put back on it is not mine. In fact it is obvious from across the room that it is not right. It's to big and doesn't sit flush against the stock.  Somewhere out there is another NEF with a small recoil pad, if you get it send it to me and I'll send you this one.

The front sight is missing the fiber optic insert, has a huge gouge across the front that looks liek it either hit a cinderblock wall hard or was dropped on concrete.  It also rattlles around like you wouldn't believe and the mounting screw will not tghten any more, I think it has been bent. don't know yet if I can remove it as I have to take pictures to send to Remington before I try to take it off. If I have to pay for replacing the recoil pad and front sight out of my pocket to be able to use it this just got more expensive than buying a new one.

I'm so pissed I can hardly see straight.

The orginal barrel does still fit, so at least there's that. 

Never again. H&R is dead and gone.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: I am SOOO not impressed with Ilion's work
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:58:41 AM »
Here we go, another one on the bandwagon. ::)

No offense but I find it hard to believe that Remington sent out something like that.

Spanky

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »
I'm just tired of the pissin' & moanin'
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 10:04:08 AM »
Depends on the person's mood that day.  I had an 700 LTR tactical rifle that wouldn't group better than 1.5" regardless of who shot it, or what ammo.  Sent it to Remington, they said that the barrel was bad.  They wanted me to pay for another, at a cost that would have almost gotten a Shilen or Douglas (not installed, just the barrel price).  I'd only had the gun for 2 weeks!!  And I bought it new!!  And I still had the receipt!!!  And that ended my love affair with the products of the Remington company.  I still consider them (I have had some good shooters from them), but I don't always choose them. 

The thing to keep in mind is that every company can offer great service, and every company also has some goober that shouldn't be handling stuff that helps mess up the service.  I would say that I got the goober in my situation. 

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 10:13:56 AM »

+1 on that!!

Spanky

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »

That's because only Remington and NEF make anything of quality in todays market.   ::)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 10:21:47 AM »
You forgot Marlin.  Marlin makes good stuff too.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
Yes, Marlin does make very good stuff.  Hopefully, Remington will leave well enough alone and let them continue their tradition of quality.  I love Marlin's guns, I wish I could buy one of each.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »
Not sure what you guys are upset about , Kevin has a legitimate gripe , NO way that should have been missed by QC or Packaging for that matter .

There is just no reason for poor quality workmanship like that , If you hate your job to the point that you don't care what you ship , well buddy FIND ANOTHER JOB  ! Maybe in the Food Service or Housekeeping sector .

Richard
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 11:27:01 AM »
Probably some disgruntled union employee that just wants to run Remington out of business.

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 11:34:32 AM »
POOR FINAL INSPECTION
I will post my findings when my barrel fit to action comes in
the last i heard it was at the final inspection before shipping
I hope the inspector is having a good day and look to see if the repair was done the proper way

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 11:45:43 AM »
Probably some disgruntled union employee that just wants to run Remington out of business.

That idea works as long as he has another job to go to BUT with most of the factory jobs going over seas why would he try to run big green under ?  ???

Not a chance that it was some poor NON-UNION guy that just don't give a s--t what he does because he's only getting Min wage or for that matter some guy that's only been in the US 6 weeks and still hasn't mastered the English language so he can't fallow instructions .  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Richard Kohli
IBEW Local 32
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 12:57:48 PM »

Uh oh!!

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
Not sure what you guys are upset about , Kevin has a legitimate gripe , NO way that should have been missed by QC or Packaging for that matter .

There is just no reason for poor quality workmanship like that , If you hate your job to the point that you don't care what you ship , well buddy FIND ANOTHER JOB  ! Maybe in the Food Service or Housekeeping sector .

Richard

I think he's got a legit problem as well.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »

That idea works as long as he has another job to go to BUT with most of the factory jobs going over seas why would he try to run big green under ?  ???

Not a chance that it was some poor NON-UNION guy that just don't give a s--t what he does because he's only getting Min wage or for that matter some guy that's only been in the US 6 weeks and still hasn't mastered the English language so he can't fallow instructions .  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Richard Kohli
IBEW Local 32

And here's why I said "uh oh".

Offline Tencubed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »
Gun arrived late yesterday when the BBT hit the drive at 5:45.  Our delivery guy works late, that's his usual time. 

The boxes looked fine, UPS got them here in good shape. So none of this is their fault.

The recoil pad they put back on it is not mine. In fact it is obvious from across the room that it is not right. It's to big and doesn't sit flush against the stock.  Somewhere out there is another NEF with a small recoil pad, if you get it send it to me and I'll send you this one.

The front sight is missing the fiber optic insert, has a huge gouge across the front that looks liek it either hit a cinderblock wall hard or was dropped on concrete.  It also rattlles around like you wouldn't believe and the mounting screw will not tghten any more, I think it has been bent. don't know yet if I can remove it as I have to take pictures to send to Remington before I try to take it off. If I have to pay for replacing the recoil pad and front sight out of my pocket to be able to use it this just got more expensive than buying a new one.

I'm so pissed I can hardly see straight.

The orginal barrel does still fit, so at least there's that. 

Never again. H&R is dead and gone.

At any rate, Kevin I for one am sorry to hear of the way your gun was shipped back.  Not only is it an inconvenience for you but it bodes ill for the rest of us as well.  Please keep us posted as this matter progresses.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »
Well, I can't really blame ya Kevin, the recoil pad would be an easy mistake for them to make, pads are fitted to each stock individually, the newbie probably didn't know the difference and being backlogged, they're probably rushing to get caught up and missed it or just didn't know better. But it only takes a few seconds to give a firearm a look and see if there's anything wrong with it, something apparently they aren't doing.

I've had my turn in the barrel with the Gardner plant, they ruined my BC stock during their handling, the chip that was missing from the stock wasn't in the shipping box when I received it back after a barrel fitting, but they were quick to replace it after I sent them an email pic of the damage, 3 weeks later I received a new butt stock, it would have been sooner, but they were out of them at the time. It would've been real obvious that it was damaged if they had given it a quick look, but they didn't, if they did, they ignored it. So give them a chance to make it right, they owe ya, send them a pic of the damaged sight and ask for a replacement, the pad will take some fitting to replace, they could send you a new stock with fitted pad, it wouldn't hurt to ask since you been thru the wringer already. :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 03:48:56 PM »
Sorry to deviate from the subject but UH OH!!!!! It's the non union unskilled work for nonthing labor that is sending us down the river. Oh by the way NAFTA and corporate greed. Thank god every day for the union worker that keeps the wages livable in this country.

IUOE local 370 13yrs Troy
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 04:25:21 PM »
THey had to drill another hole in the stock to get the pad on, the screww holes form the old one didn't line up.  The front sight is smashed.   How exactly is this whining? Oh, it also arrived needing cleaning and with used primer carriers (they say they'll send you five with it, guess they didn't say "new").

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »
I'm glad you like your union but me personally hope I never have to be in another one again for the rest of my life. I'm a skilled electronics technician who makes a very liveable wage in a non-union company.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »
Let's not turn this into a UNION vs. NON UNION pissin' match.
With the economy the way it is, we're lucky to have any job!!

Here we go, another one on the bandwagon. ::)

No offense but I find it hard to believe that Remington sent out something like that.

Spanky

Now that I've seen your pictures, I take back what I said about doubting it.
You have my apologies.
Let us know what happens with getting them to fix things.

Spanky

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »

Swampman,

If you don't think Kevin has a legitimate bitch, don't read his posts. He is not the first one, nor will he be the last to have to deal with Remingtons PISS POOR Customer Service, it was there 20 years ago, and sorry to say is alive and well yet today. Take off your GREEN colored glasses for a minute, and you might be able to see them for what they are.

Kevin,

Can you post come pics of Remington's Handi-work, or lack therof? Absolutely no excuse for all the problems.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »
It actually just keeps getting worse.  Took out the breech plug (with my fingers, it was really loose) and ran a clean patch through the barrel.  Here's what came out.

Who sends a muzzleloader out after firing without cleaning it?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »
Is it just powder residue or is there rust in it too?  I can't tell from the pic.  Not cleaning is bad enough, if it's rusted too, well, I think that I'd be making some phone calls and escalate the issue to someone with a little authority, that can make it right.  Of course, at this point, IMO it's bad enough that I'm not sure just what "right" would be.....

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 05:26:03 PM »
Is it just powder residue or is there rust in it too?  I can't tell from the pic.  Not cleaning is bad enough, if it's rusted too, well, I think that I'd be making some phone calls and escalate the issue to someone with a little authority, that can make it right.  Of course, at this point, IMO it's bad enough that I'm not sure just what "right" would be.....

After sitting a few days with powder residue in there you can bet there's rust too , let mine sit over night and was getting rust , woln't do that again .  :o

stimpy

PS - Sorry if I got OT on a rant .  :-[
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »
This sat in shipping for 2 weeks. Plenty of rust. BP solvent and plenty of time with the bronze brush and now it is clean but shows fair amount of pitting. Slug barrel that came with it also hadn't been cleaned, but that was with smokeless. Anyone with an order still in may want to cal and request they clean yours before shipping. Took the front sight off and figuted out it won't tighten down because it was bent, so at least the mount hole doesn't appear damaged.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 06:07:07 AM »
If the barrel is pitted bad enough that accuracy is shot to hell, then it doesn't matter if the if the mount hole was damaged.....well, at least you could get the sight tightened down again so it's not loose.  Are you planning on scoping it?  Hopefully it will shoot well enough to produce realistic accuracy for your needs.

Yeah, I'd be on the phone with someone in upper management to get a resolution.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 06:34:36 AM »
All I can say is WOW.....  I am very sorry to read all this. I am also very glad I have "most" of what I want for calibers!!!
 Just a note about any extras going back to any factory for service work. Do not send ANYTHING that doesn't pertain to the problem it was returned for. I have worked for 20+ years in the gun industry and this is like a cardinal rule. It will be missing or broken when it returns!! Dosen't much matter the manufacturer. IMHO, Remington began a downward spiral when they moved from Connecticut. Quailty, service and product avalibility went in the crapper. too bad too, Remington is right there with Chevrolet, Base ball and moms Apple pie!! :-\

Here is my story:
 About the time Marlin aquired H&R, I was tring to get a 500 H&R. I got promice after promice, time went on and on. I finally got it but it arrived with the wrong woodand a crappy trigger. I had ordered the wood "special" thru our Marlin rep and paid for fancy Laminated stocks and a trigger job.
I returned the receiver alone, with out wood along with a request for another barrrel to be fit.
A short time later I received a call, saying they couldn't fit the new Barrel because I didn't include wood and they needed to fire the gun. I flipped, I told the guy I am BUYING WOOD, read the work order!! Besides, dont you guys have any wood there?

From then On I have a set of Plastic stocks and those go on for the shipping. I dont care what happens to them and they are also very durable.

I will not ordering any barrels to be fit from them, thats for sure. If I have to have something.. I'll wait and buy the entire gun!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 07:55:47 AM »
This sat in shipping for 2 weeks. Plenty of rust. BP solvent and plenty of time with the bronze brush and now it is clean but shows fair amount of pitting. Slug barrel that came with it also hadn't been cleaned, but that was with smokeless. Anyone with an order still in may want to cal and request they clean yours before shipping. Took the front sight off and figuted out it won't tighten down because it was bent, so at least the mount hole doesn't appear damaged.

You need to get someones attention at Remington that actually can take care of this whole mess. Since when did they start test firing the muzzleloaders? They even used your new primer carriers, and left CORROSIVE fouling in the barrel for 2 week before shipping? Incompetent IDJETS!

You might have to look long and hard to find someone who actually gives-a-rip at Remington though. Do not accept their crap, get them to send a call tag, and MAKE them make it right with a NEW barrel without the rust pits. If anyone accepts this crap, they will never get their act together. Good Luck!

Every Company puts out a bad product every now and then, great companies are measured by what they do to resolve the issues with their customers.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Tencubed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 09:09:34 AM »
If anyone accepts this crap, they will never get their act together. Good Luck!

Gotta agree with Busta on this. 

There is an old saying   "The least you will accept is the most you can expect."   and it's oh so very true.  If folks getting stuff back from the factory accept shoddy workmanship then that is what will continue to be shipped.

I know that the company is in transition and all about the problems of starting up a new production line.  Been there, done that and got the T-shirt.  I also know that if management is not made aware of problems by persistent customers then nothing is going to change.

Hopefully those who believe that better times lie ahead are correct.  And I really believe they will but only if shoddy workmanship and haphazard response to complaints are called into question.

Those who are getting garbage returned to them are the only ones with the opportunity to make things better for the rest of us.  As has been mentioned the folks on this forum make up a very small percentage of the total number of folks who own these little rifles.  I do believe, however, that we are a representative sampling of owners and, as such, what we are seeing in the way of good and bad work being returned should be a representation of what is going out to all owners.  Very much of this kind of junk being returned and the sale of new rifles will go in the toilet.  This would be followed by "Big Green" dropping the line. 

Course that may be the game plan all along.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70