Author Topic: I am SOOO not impressed with Ilion's work  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: I am SOOO not impressed with Ilion's work
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
"If I have to have something.. I'll wait and buy the entire gun!!!"

That is the wise thing to do.  Handis are so cheap, the barrel program isn't worth it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
"If I have to have something.. I'll wait and buy the entire gun!!!"

That is the wise thing to do.  Handis are so cheap, the barrel program isn't worth it.

You and I might not agree on much but on that we do for sure.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jsoukup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »
I think Kevin sent his off about the same time I did, so maybe in the next week or so I'll get mine and let you know. I'm paranoid already.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 01:24:29 PM »
Spent a less than satisfying 45 minutes on the phone with Remington CS today.  Hadn't recieved a response to my e-mail from Monday, so I called.  I spent the first 20 minutes on hold (on my cell phone). Finally got a person to talk to and described my issues. I told him I had sent photos in my e-mail and he put me on hold again while he went to check with Daniel about my e-mail.  Came back and said that he could send out a sight to replace the damaged one, but apparently had no idea what to do about the recoil pad. He didn't much react at all over the uncleaned barrel. He had no response when I pointed out that it is basic firearms knowledge that you clean a muzzleloader after firing. Didn't seem in the least phased that my muzzleoading season would be coming up in five weeks.  After he repeatedly told me he just didn't know what was going on with the recoil pad I had to get off the phone so I could get back to work.  Told him to contact me by e-mail as I couldn't afford to take long chunks of time out from work to talk on the phone and I arrive at work before they come to work and leave after they quit work.  Expected an email form them when I got home, but no such luck.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline sonof_perdition

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
I'm in the dental industry and whenever some new product or technique comes out I always have a Dentist urging me to dive in head first.  Over the years I have found that if I wait, the bad products will inevitably weed themselves out.  That being said, anything new or tweaked, especially to earn money, is bound to have some growing pains.  I love my NEF.  It shoots as well and the $2000.00 super-duper Ruger my buddy uses in the same caliber (much to his chagrin).  I trust that the new employees and Remington want to make a quality product and are striving to do so.  It sucks that you and others are suffering from these growing pains but what are ya gonna do?  Don't wanna sound trite but Persistence removes Resistance.  Keep calling and never settle for "no." Also kill 'em with kindness.  This has worked better for me in the past that waving cash in front of their eyes.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 03:20:32 PM »
That sounds like a good SOP, SOP!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sonof_perdition

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 04:54:07 PM »
Off topic, sorry. but SOP because my name was stricken from the records of a church that I was raised in (and was a missionary for).  Anyhow, I was a bit jaded and facetiously started calling myself SOP.  I think it stuck because of the irony factor. 

Makes me sound mean though huh? ;D   

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 05:02:25 PM »
Sounds like the title of one of the good old Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 07:22:15 AM »
I had a phone call with the Canadian authorized repair dude for NEF in regards to my handi in 45-70. There are tool marks in the bore. He said if it shoots acceptable groups dont worry. I asked what his definition was and he said 3 to 4" at 100 yards. If the rifle goes all over as in 9" or more to get back to him.

Dunno, 3 to 4" at 100 yards is nothing to write home about IMO That sucks big time.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 07:40:17 AM »
H&R's standard is 2" 100yd groups, so I'd challenge him on that.   :-\

Tim

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 08:06:38 AM »
Sorry to deviate from the subject but UH OH!!!!! It's the non union unskilled work for nonthing labor that is sending us down the river. Oh by the way NAFTA and corporate greed. Thank god every day for the union worker that keeps the wages livable in this country.

IUOE local 370 13yrs Troy

It's sooo hard when you have been there for thirty years (John Deere) to really give a sh%^, but you do it. Mostly not so much because you want DEERE to look good, you STILL can't bring yourself to do sloppy work, even when you don't give a sh%^ anymore. I saw the college students that  were replacing us with do things that not only would we not ever think of, we'd be embarrassed to put out work like that. They didn't care, they knew they weren't staying. They had no pension coming, and they were working for half what we were working for.
As soon as they graduate Deere lets them go. Doesn't matter if they worked there for the four (or more ) years they were in school.
Those of us that have pensions coming need to get down on our knees every night and give thanks for something only a few will see anymore.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 10:01:02 AM »
I'm just tired of the pissin' & moanin'

+1 on that!!

Spanky
I was one of the guys that waited weeks, was told many different stories and my old barrel would not fit. Now I ask you { why shouldn't we piss and moan?} Maybe you 2 should send your guns back for some work and see what your rections would be when they mess up your prized guns!!
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 10:20:13 AM »
I don't consider my NEFs prized guns.  I have a receiver there right now for a .45-70 barrel.  I haven't even called to check on it.  If it never comes back, I'll just go buy another one to replace it.  I don't even really care.

I won't piss and moan, because that won't make it any better.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »
If it never comes back; let me know and I'll have it sent my way!! ;D
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline cajun

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 11:24:21 AM »
Hell, I'll take it....mine is lost!!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 11:28:37 AM »
I shipped my NEF Nickle SB2 receiver and a .45-70 barrel to Remington on August 15th for fitting and a trigger pull adjustment.  It got to Remington on August 19th.

I sent it to the Remington facility in Ilion, New York.

I received it back today Sept. 4th.  The .45-70 barrel fits great!  Original barrel fits great!  Trigger feels much better! No damage to gun!  shipping box was a new styled Remington box. Gun was shot I believe, but not dirty.

Paper work only said "refit barrel, adjust trigger, test".

No charge

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 11:38:26 AM »
I shipped my NEF Nickle SB2 receiver and a .45-70 barrel to Remington on July 15th for fitting and a trigger pull adjustment.  It got to Remington on July 19th.

I sent it to the Remington facility in Ilion, New York.

I received it back today Sept. 4th.  The .45-70 barrel fits great!  Original barrel fits great!  Trigger feels much better! No damage to gun!  shipping box was a new styled Remington box. Gun was shot I believe, but not dirty.

Paper work only said "refit barrel, adjust trigger, test".

No charge

And that's a second hand barrel, very good to know, also confirms that the report of them not doing trigger jobs is false.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Tim

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »
recieved an email from Daniel today and he said they had already sent a replacement front sight via UPS.  Said they would replace fore grip and stock in any configuration they offer due to fubar with recoil pad.  I know we call my stocks pallet wood, what do they call it?  Do I just say standard stocks? And will that get me the little curve in the end of the foregrip?  I see new guns in Wally World with a different shaped foregrip that I DON'T like.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »
  Said they would replace fore grip and stock in any configuration they offer due to fubar with recoil pad. 

Ask for a laminated stock set, they have made them, whether they have one ratholed somewhere is something else. They may even have a schnabel forend somewhere if that's what you really want, ask for it. ;)

Tim

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
Just want what I had, guess I'll keep the current forend and ask for standard wood buttstock.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »
If you don't ask for a set, they may not match.  Glad to hear it's working out for you.  Maybe they're finally getting their ducks in a row....I hope!

Offline R Jones

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, 03:38:06 PM »
Hmmmm! I am glad that some have the money not to worry if they never get what they ordered! Personally I work hard for the money I spend on my guns. If anyone told me that if a rifle shooting 9 inch groups was acceptable, I believe I would have to tell them that they are full of s---! I don't know Kevin, or many here, but getting screwed, and not even kissed isn't right. I would never buy a product from them after reading these posts.   R Jones  >:(
I remain, R Jones

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 03:43:12 PM »
Then Kevin accomplised his goal.

I work hard at a job that pays next to nothing (the reason I shoot NEFs instead of Dakotas) but I'm not going to loose sleep over a $200.00 truck gun.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 04:35:23 PM »
Wht goal was that swamp? Getting a working gun I paid for?

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »
Wht goal was that swamp? Getting a working gun I paid for?

I think Swampman is referring to this...

I would never buy a product from them after reading these posts.   R Jones  >:(

Another potential happy customer down the drain!!

Spanky

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 12:31:22 AM »
I've started to think that several of the posters might be more interested in promoting Remington than in whether Remington's service is any good. excuse me for thinking people need to know about the type of work that is getting done by the company before they send in an item. Excuse me also for thinking they should also know about what is being done to rectify what could aonly be described as a royal screw up by Remington in the quality control department.  I suppose you would be happier if I had boxed up their shoddy work and sent it back to them with a note saying I had no intention of paying for it and taht I'd replace my recoil pad myself? 

If you want to hurt Remington as a company I think sitting around telling people to "shut-up and take whatever Remington gives you and be happy with it" would probably be the best way to trun folks away. Far worse than "they screwed up and here's how they are going to fix it".

I will say that if they intend to continue test firing muzzleloaders and not cleaning the bore afterward that I'd recommend not buying the Huntsman barrels, just because it is a roll of the dice whether ot not corrosion ruins the bore in shipping. My neighbors have Sidekicks (father and son) and both love them (which is why I wanted one) and both of them say the bores were clean when they bought them, but that was several years before Remington.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »
I'm interested in talking about using NEF products, and sharing what we like about them.  I'm not interested in bashing Remington, NEF, or UPS.

Enjoy your new barrel, front sight, & stock set.  Your used gun, is now nearly new. ;D

Things are only going to get better.  I've been shooting Remingtons for about 45 years.  I've never had a problem.

Offline R Jones

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2008, 03:53:28 AM »
The last Remingtons that I bought were model 788s. I have no idea about the quality of their products as of recent. I know that when I see a post talking about how sorry their customer service is, I will take notice. If they were to make it right, I would notice that. Right now if someone asked about their product customer service, I am afraid that I would have to reply in the negative. Word of mouth is still a great selling tool for companies.  R Jones
I remain, R Jones

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2008, 04:26:28 AM »
I don't see a problem with pointing out a products weak points at all.  But I do have a problem if people are complaining on here if they haven't first complained to Rem/NEF.  I don't know about R Jones but I always research a new rifle/shotgun/caliber before I purchase it.  I read all the reviews on here I could before I bought my Survivor .308 and though I haven't shot it yet, I feel I recieved a wonderful product. 
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2008, 04:39:01 AM »
You did! ;D