Author Topic: Who makes the best AR-15?  (Read 4209 times)

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Who makes the best AR-15?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 06:02:01 PM »
Most of you are more experienced with these than I am, although I had an original one in Nam, in '68'.    Lately I've studied, shopped, looked at the gun shows, and it's pretty much preference, as some on here have mentioned.   My decision ended with the new Charles Daly.   Why?  Probably because it hasn't been out long enough to get any negative feedback, because all I've heard is good reports.  I didn't know it at the time, but it is made in the U.S. using the DoubleStar Lowers, and depending on which build,(Wilson Barrels).   And these guns are the blackest of all the black guns I've seen.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline JJ Kelly

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
I bought the Rock River UTE-2 and love it.  It has all the features I want and shoots
great, the best out of the box trigger you will find.  Went to the range with brand new
gun, cleaned it, put some lube on it, went through 250 rds. had no malfunctions at all.
Last 40 rds. with the iron sights off the bench at 50 yds. ripped a big hole on the money
no bigger than a 50 cent piece. Ammo was 55gr. (federal loaded) Sierra game king.
Happy with this gun, out of the box, shoots great.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 02:31:37 AM »
my order of prefernce is
1 colt and rra (toss up)
2 stag arms and dpms toss up
3 bushmaster/rem
4 all the rest
 used to be that there was some junk out there. some of the old olys were trash but ive seen some real nice ones lately that i would put up there with a bush. Lots of good ones that are made now that i havent shot too. LOTs of new manufactures. Also keep in mind that my list doesnt include the high dollar ones like the les baers and a few others and custom built ones. these are definatetly better guns but like in 1911s i dont feel a need to spend much more then what a factory gun cost when there making them as good as they do. Bottom line if i have to be honest is that even my list is kind of a waste of time as everyone of those manufactures make a good product that i would be fine owning.
blue lives matter

Offline diggdug

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2008, 05:12:25 AM »
I asked this very question to a very well known full-time Tacticle instructor in the private sector. Now this guy has seen about every malfunction you can think off about a hundred times so I really value his opinion. He worked for jeff Cooper for a number of years. He said the most reliable AR is the Colt 6920 LE. Now keep in mind that his pupils are shooting thousands of rounds in the 3 day class, so they are very hard on their weapons. He also said that the S&W M&P's are a very good AR. He indicated that DPMS  is by far the worst, followed by Bushmaster. As for hand guns, Glock, Springfield XD, and a well built 1911. In that order.
Most people say I'm an idiot!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2008, 08:40:42 AM »
Did he give any reasons for rating dpms & bushmaster so badly?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2008, 04:36:35 PM »
ive heard good things about Dalys too but never handled one so cant really say.
Most of you are more experienced with these than I am, although I had an original one in Nam, in '68'.    Lately I've studied, shopped, looked at the gun shows, and it's pretty much preference, as some on here have mentioned.   My decision ended with the new Charles Daly.   Why?  Probably because it hasn't been out long enough to get any negative feedback, because all I've heard is good reports.  I didn't know it at the time, but it is made in the U.S. using the DoubleStar Lowers, and depending on which build,(Wilson Barrels).   And these guns are the blackest of all the black guns I've seen.

blue lives matter

Offline FourBee

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2008, 07:36:17 AM »
ive heard good things about Dalys too but never handled one so cant really say.

;)  I was (still am) torn between the LE and the standard version, but went ahead with my old feelings for the standard and got it.     All I can say about it is ..... Very Nice!
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline deserthunter

• 31" Muley - Dad shot in NE Utah many years ago.
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »
It seems as if there are a lot of good AR's on the market today.....  A better question might be, Are there brands or specific calibers that you would stay away from.....  I just bought a Rock River "Predator/Persuit", 20" - barrel finished at .920 at Muzzle, weight about 10lbs with scope, a little more with the Harris bi-pod....  I'm still breaking it in, what a chore, but I'm sure it will be worth it....  By the way, has anyone done a camo job on there AR, I'd be interested in seeing the rifle and finding out how it was done.....

Thanks

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2008, 04:05:38 PM »
Hey Deserthunter, I just got my new RR Predator Pusuit last week after 3 months. Will start the break in process tomorrow at the range. What did you scope it with. What kind of rings did you use?
What process are you following for break-in? I'll follow up with my thoughts as I get it sighted in and smoothed out.

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 11:15:25 AM »
I cast my vote for Stag Arms.  I love my model 2.
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »
dont own one but have heard alot of horror storys about the 7.62x39s
It seems as if there are a lot of good AR's on the market today.....  A better question might be, Are there brands or specific calibers that you would stay away from.....  I just bought a Rock River "Predator/Persuit", 20" - barrel finished at .920 at Muzzle, weight about 10lbs with scope, a little more with the Harris bi-pod....  I'm still breaking it in, what a chore, but I'm sure it will be worth it....  By the way, has anyone done a camo job on there AR, I'd be interested in seeing the rifle and finding out how it was done.....

Thanks

blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »
By the way, has anyone done a camo job on there AR, I'd be interested in seeing the rifle and finding out how it was done.....

I think Remington does a nice job on the Camo! ;D
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2009, 02:57:35 AM »
heres a comparison chart
blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2009, 04:52:01 AM »
Interesting chart, although IMHO some of the categories are not all that crucial.  I wonder who came up with the criteria?
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2009, 12:07:14 PM »
that chart needs to be updated there seem to be a few things wrong with it my ap4 has m4 feed ramp and a properly staked gas key
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 06:27:24 AM »
Nothing wrong with my DPMS AP4. It has never malfunctioned. Now granted I haven't shot 3,000 rounds in 2 days, but I have put over 2,000 rounds through it since I bought last year. They shoot as well as anything else in my opinion, just keep it clean and feed it good ammo.