Author Topic: NEF single shot trigger saftey ?  (Read 779 times)

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
NEF single shot trigger saftey ?
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:54:57 AM »
Looking at the NEF guns, there is no trigger lock or "manual" saftey (hammer interupt)
The one thing I like about the Rossi single shots is the Saftey.

Am I missing something here, or the Rossi's a safer gun because of the saftey lever ?

I like the "fit and finish" of the NEF better, but am a little concerned about the lack of a saftey ?
(note: I have never owned a Single shot before)

Nick
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: NEF single shot trigger saftey ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:34:44 PM »
Not to worry, NEF's use a transfer bar safety which is the same type of safety that is used on many modern concealed carry revolvers. This is a very safe system which uses a frame mounted firing pin and a hammer which physically can not come into contact with the firing pin so there is never anything resting on the cartidge primer.

The way it fires is when you pull the hammer back a mechanical transfer bar is lifted into place over the firing pin. When you pull trigger the hammer makes contact with this transfer bar which transfers the energy to the firing pin which contacts the cartridge primer.

The gun will not fire unless the hammer is pulled back into the cocked position, transfer bar lifts over the firing pin and the trigger is pulled. If the hammer is bumped or pulled back partially and let go the gun can not fire. If you pull the trigger without cocking the hammer back the gun can not physically fire.

Millions of people safely carry revolvers every day with this same type of safety.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:40:28 PM »
Unless of course you are looking at a pre transfer bar shotgun. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:01:00 AM »
Looking at new for a 11 year old.
I am not sure I like the idea of "pulling the trigger" to de cock it.
The Rossi's have the "Interupt saftey" that can be put on while decocking.

Nick
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:49:14 AM »
Sounds like you would feel more confortable with the Rossi so that may be better for you.  The Handi is very safe though even for a young novice shooter.
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:47:13 AM »
Looking at new for a 11 year old.
I am not sure I like the idea of "pulling the trigger" to de cock it.
The Rossi's have the "Interupt saftey" that can be put on while decocking.

I de-cock my single action revolvers and my single shot shotguns and rifles by placing the thumb of my support hand in front of the hammer and then take my other thumb and place it on top of the hammer.  I then gently pull the trigger and let the hammer down slowly.  If the hammer falls, then my support hand thumb will be in the way...I've never given it a second thought as far as safety is concerned.

If a Rossi seems more to your liking, then by all means, go for it...No one here will give you a hard time about purchasing a firearm for your 11 y/o whether it be a Rossi or an H&R/NEF...Good to start them young...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »
I agree, get whatever you feel safest with. The most important thing is that you're bringing your 11 year old into the shooting sports.

It's a personal preference thing. I like the NEF style safety and feel very comfortable with it and very safe with my kids using it for hunting. I know others who feel safer with a crossbolt style safety. The most important thing is that we're all being safe.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783