Author Topic: How can I modify a grooved scope receiver to a weaver mount.  (Read 320 times)

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How can I modify a grooved scope receiver to a weaver mount.
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:03:22 AM »
How can I modify a grooved scope receiver to a weaver mount.

Thanks
Montveil
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: How can I modify a grooved scope receiver to a weaver mount.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
I'm not 100% sure what it is you are asking but basically the answer for what I "think" you are asking is you cannot. The grooved receiver is a smaller "less wide" groove than what Weaver rings take and it's not feasible to regroove for the wider size.

To use Weaver type rings have someone drill and tap it and install Weaver bases.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:23:37 AM »
I am not sure either. If you are talking about the grooved receiver commonly found on rim fire rifles and air guns, the Weaver style mounts will not work, just as Bill pointed out. Not only is the groove not correct, but there is a cross bolt on each one the will not go across the top of the receiver. There is a mount you can buy that clamps in the existing groove with Weaver style slots in it.

Here is another style

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=222113

My understanding is there are screws that tighten it against the top of the receiver. When you "unmount" it it some times leaves scratches on the receiver where the screws pushed and turned against it. The other alternative is to mount a regular Weaver mount to it, as Bill has pointed out. I have not had trouble with quality mounts that clamp into the grooves on a rim fire. There is not a lot of recoil to be moving it around. Air guns can be problem some times.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline CzaRon

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:55:15 PM »
Check out Weaver's TO-9, TO-10, or TO-11.Might be what you are looking for. I have the TO-9 on my Winchester 94-22.