Author Topic: couple of questions  (Read 627 times)

Offline super mario

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • boardstobeauty
couple of questions
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:46:44 AM »
Didnt see anything under the FAQ;s.
I have a Jr topper 20 guage that I want to do something with.  I was thinking about a slug gun.
Can I shoot slugs out of it ?  and with any accuracy ?  It has a mod. barrell.
How can I mount a scope rail on it or anything to get a scope or red dot on it ?  Thinking about drilling and tapping it.
Is a weaver base and a picatanny rail basically the same ?
If I can use slugs,  what kind ?  here in Texas, slug guns are not that popular, I have never seen anybody use one so I know nothing about slugs.
This would be for a dedicated pig gun at night for relatively close ranges, maybe 75 yds max.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:45:12 PM »
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,132990.msg1098502066.html#msg1098502066

Go here to see pics of my 20 ga. Pardner that I use for close range deer hunting.
I had it drilled and tapped for H&R rail and put a 4x scope on it.
The barrel is still full length mod. choke.
I put a monte carlo stock on it for better eye alignment.
At 50 yds. it will put 3 Remington Sluggers into a group the size of a baseball.

I hope this helps you out some.
Spanky

Offline super mario

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • boardstobeauty
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »
so I can drill and tap it ?
so I can shoot slugs out of it ?
What kind of slugs for a smooth bore ?

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 04:52:16 AM »
I can't help you with the drill and tapping ,but yes you can shoot slugs out of it .Use the Foster type.They are a soft lead and will shoot thru any choke without damaging the gun.Remington,Winchester,Breneke,all make the foster slugs,and they are all under $4 a box. At Wally world and other large stores they are closer to 3.50. Just try different brands and choose the one that shoots best in your gun.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »
I have three!!  One in 12 another in 16 and the finely in 20 Ga.

Took a couple "beaters" with rusted barrels, cleaned them up and chopped them down to 20" or so. Then drilled and tapped them for peep site in the rear and front sites up front and called it good. ALL will shoot into a baseball at 50 yards!! Only the 16 requires fancy slugs to do it, the 12 and 20 do well with Rem Sluggers. The 16 need Rottweil's.  ::)

Here is a set reused Contender site's I put on a handi.

I have read it numerous times that its not safe to tap the 12 ga. I haven't had any problems, they where opened up and tapped 8-40 for Williams peeps. Here is a pic of the 12 GA.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mike Britton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »
Didnt see anything under the FAQ;s.
I have a Jr topper 20 guage that I want to do something with.  I was thinking about a slug gun.
Can I shoot slugs out of it ?  and with any accuracy ?  It has a mod. barrell.
How can I mount a scope rail on it or anything to get a scope or red dot on it ?  Thinking about drilling and tapping it.
Is a weaver base and a picatanny rail basically the same ?
If I can use slugs,  what kind ?  here in Texas, slug guns are not that popular, I have never seen anybody use one so I know nothing about slugs.
This would be for a dedicated pig gun at night for relatively close ranges, maybe 75 yds max.
Mario, go to the thread "boredom cost me eight inches"  in NEF/H&R you might be interested in these.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart