Author Topic: Winchester squib load in .40 S&W white box ammunition.  (Read 1305 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Winchester squib load in .40 S&W white box ammunition.
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:49:13 AM »
A few weeks ago I had a squib load create a barrel obstruction using Winchester white box in cal. .40 S/W.  My gun was a nice CZ-75, and the second round burst the barrel and locked the slide back where it was a challenge to take the gun apart.  Fortunately I was not injured.

I checked the Winchester web site and they have 3 recalls for double loads with their .22 rimfire ammo.  I wrote the CEO of Olin corp. (parent company of Winchester ammo) to bring this ammo quality issue to his attention.  They responded and I UPS'd the slide, half box of ammo, and the burst barrel to them.  They acknowledged that the barrel burst and have sent me 2 coupons for free ammo of Winchester brand.  They are planning to contact CZ about a replacement barrel.

At this time they deny that they are at fault.  I am awaiting to see what they want to do with the damage cost to me.  I checked the websites of CCI, Remington, Federal and Sellier & Bellot and found no recalls for ammunition.  Winchester seems to have a history of this problem as I have seen posted ads in gun magazines concerning recalls in the past.  If you have any of their ammo I recommend that you shake each cartridge to make sure there is powder inside the case.

I have found Winchester's company representatives to be quick responding and professional so far, however, I will be more careful about the brands of ammo that I purchase in the future as I don't want to loose another gun to a burst barrel.  What if this would have been an emergency situation where I needed this gun to protect my life from an attack?

I am writing this from the public library, but will post the ammo lot number just in case anyone is interested in the future.

Thanks.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Re: Winchester squib load in .40 S&W white box ammunition.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
The lot number for the defective .40 S & W is #27BD61.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Winchester squib load in .40 S&W white box ammunition.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:49:03 AM »
Fortunately squib loads in factory ammo are rare, but do occur. Your experience reinforces the wisdom of checking the bore for obstructions any time a discharge does not sound right. Winchester may take the position that there is shared fault here. Theirs for the squib, yours for firing the round that destroyed the gun. Glad you weren't injured!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,