Author Topic: Someone needs to teach this woman how to shoot a gun.  (Read 495 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Someone needs to teach this woman how to shoot a gun.
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »
Someone needs to teach this woman how to shoot a gun. Dale http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c9d_1219966670
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Someone needs to teach this woman how to shoot a gun.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:10:05 PM »
Dale:  My Grandma did the same thing many years ago.  Appearantly my Grandma had been quite a shooter during her younger days.  She shot bottles off fence post from the back of a running horse.  She always shot a colt .45, so she was very familiar with the cartridge.  I was home on leave and took my Ruger .45 back to hunt with.  I was shooting handloads that were really pushed up to the max for the Ruger/TC loads.  These loads were a lot hotter than anything she had ever shot.  My Dad was trying to shoot a target, and had missed six times.  While he was reloading my Grandma came up to watch.  My mother told Dad to give the gun to Grandma and let her show us how to shoot.  I had moved up on to the porch to get more cartridges.  I yelled to Dad to not let her shoot it, Mom yelled at me to hush up Grandma knew more about shooting a .45 than I would ever know.  I'm trying to get back down there to stop her, and my mother tripped me to stop me from interfering.  Grandma shot the thing and the hammer spur hit her just above the nose and right between her eyes.  Laid her out, right there on the grass.  Grandma got up handed the gun to Dad.  Wipped the blood out of her eyes and said "Well".  Then she went inside to stop the bleeding.  My mother jumped all over me for having such a dangerous gun.  She said I ought to be horsewhipped for bringing it home. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:31:57 AM »
The guy that gave that woman the gun, is a complete moron. Why don't we give the keys to a 200mph race car to a 16 year old that just got their driving license. You start out with a .22, or light loaded .38's maybe. Not a .44 or whatever. Seen a guy take a black lab puppy and throw him in a pond, that had ice floating on it. Said he was teaching the dog how to swim/retrieve. Couldn't figure out why the dog wasn't worth a crap later at hunting. Another moron. To bad somebody doesn't take a double barrel 10ga. with the triggers fixed to fire both barrels and hand it to the idiot with out telling him what gauge it is. See if he thinks that's funny. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:15:31 AM »
I think the guy that gave her the gun was careless to say the least. He should of explained the recoil and had her lock her arms better. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 09:42:10 AM »
My sister-in-law married a young man I thought quite a bit of even though he was a city boy and didn't weigh over 120#.  Never been fishin or shot a gun before in his life until he met me.  My son who was about 14 at the time, and I were shooting at my father-in-laws place one afternoon when the young man came to visit and wanted to shoot a bit.  First was the 22-250 and the first round the scope bumped his eye a bit.  No problem.  Explained to him what he did wrong and he did well after that.  Next was the 7 Mag and the only ammo I had with me was heavy slugs and loaded HOT!  We had a talk and he still wanted to take a go at it.  Turned out he did very well indeed.  He handled it better than 22-250.  Go figure!  Next he wanted to try out the 357 Herrett Contender.  We had the talk alright but before I could make sure he was ready he touched off a round downrange and the front sight caused him to need stitches in his forehead and scalp.  Sometimes no matter how careful you try to be you just can't control the actions of others. 

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 10:10:58 AM »
I agree the guy that gave her the gun was an idiot.  But I see it all the time at the range.  Fellow comes out and wants to teach his young bride to shoot.  Brings his hunting rifle and hands it to her with rounds he plans on using for Grizzly.  In other words the heaviest things he can buy, for a gun that is too big for her, in caliber, weight, and length of pull.  She shoots it and gets the day lites knocked out of her, and sometime needs to go to the emergency room to fix a scope bite.  She decides right then and there she wants nothing to do with hunting or shooting ever again.  And unless she meets someone like my wife, they are ruined for life.

My wife is 4'11" and shoots a .35 Whelen.  She is an NRA certified Shooting Instructor for Rifle, Shotgun, and Pistol.  She has taken many of those gun shy women and turned them into shooters.  The first thing she does is convince them that the person giving them the hunting rifle set up for a man was a macho idiot.  With a room full of women, she does not have much trouble doing that.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.