Author Topic: Damage caused by cleaning  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Damage caused by cleaning
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 08:30:07 AM »
Thanks for the link.
My own storage (Gasp) is in an old coal room of perhaps 14' wide by 20' wide and is in the basement of course and has its own door. The door hinges have been drilled straight thru with double nuts being placed on the inside of the appropriate size bolts to make it secure on the hinge side. The handle side has a heavy duty hasp and lock. The "professional burgler" likes to get in and out of a residence quickly (usually 15 min) and my hardware should hold if discovered. Further enhancements are a couple of hangers on the exterior door. If we are on extended leave, a piece of bisquene (read sheet of plastic) on one and an old garden hose on the other with a few regular basement items in front of this pretty much makes the door invisible to those who would not know that it was there.
Back To The Topic Though...
It really wouldn't take many of the emmiter cups to protect the whole room (press & dies along with other tools) as well as having one in the safe.
do they mention any health hazards when using these?

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »
I had a barrel rust once, so I try to at least get the powder fouling out of my center fires before the are set aside for a long wait. 22s almost never get a bbl cleaning, but you have to keep after the powder fouling in the actions. S&W handguns had better be clean under the ejector star or it may take a notion to not work someday when you need it. I clean mostly the frame opening and outside of my SA handguns mostly because they get ugly if you don't.

I tried the "keep the copper fouling out" routine on a couple of rifles to see if they really would shoot a lot better. Frankly after working on some of them for days, they still seemed to have copper in the bore, and I never saw any improvement in accuracy. I finally gave up reasoning that I may well damage the bores on these pretty good rifles doing this, for what gain. If I was a benchrester it may be different, but why endanger a 270 that shoots 1 MOA trying to get it to shoot 1/2 MOA.

I was on a National Guard Rifle team once, and the old Master Sarge who was our team leader was adament that he did not want me cleaning the accurized M14 that I was issued. Not even the action. The M14 never quit, and it was plenty accurate enough for the National Match course of fire.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »
I had a barrel rust once, so I try to at least get the powder fouling out of my center fires before the are set aside for a long wait. 22s almost never get a bbl cleaning, but you have to keep after the powder fouling in the actions. S&W handguns had better be clean under the ejector star or it may take a notion to not work someday when you need it. I clean mostly the frame opening and outside of my SA handguns mostly because they get ugly if you don't.

I tried the "keep the copper fouling out" routine on a couple of rifles to see if they really would shoot a lot better. Frankly after working on some of them for days, they still seemed to have copper in the bore, and I never saw any improvement in accuracy. I finally gave up reasoning that I may well damage the bores on these pretty good rifles doing this, for what gain. If I was a benchrester it may be different, but why endanger a 270 that shoots 1 MOA trying to get it to shoot 1/2 MOA.

I was on a National Guard Rifle team once, and the old Master Sarge who was our team leader was adament that he did not want me cleaning the accurized M14 that I was issued. Not even the action. The M14 never quit, and it was plenty accurate enough for the National Match course of fire.
I shot high power here in Texas, and the masters and high masters started cleaning their rifles as soon as the match was over, and gave me a hard time because I waited the two hours to get home before I cleaned mine.
I forgot to clean mine once after a match, didn't realize I hadn't cleaned it until sighters for the next match.
My score wasn't any different, but I still felt guilty.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 11:56:41 PM »
Those guys replace their barrels frequently so wear from cleaning isn't such a big deal with them.  I shot High Power myself for awhile.  Most of them are former GIs like myself.  They drilled excessive cleaning into our heads.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 05:20:28 AM »
I always wondered where all those extra holes in my head came from!!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 08:16:29 AM »
Good one Mike, guess I better check to see how many holes I have