Poll

Are you happy with the service you have recieved from Ilion?

Yes
107 (62.9%)
No
63 (37.1%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Author Topic: Ilion Satisfaction Poll  (Read 26051 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Great Customer Service H&R
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »
We complain when its bad bud I have had two recent great experiences. First a new gun I bought had a blemished laminate stock. i called them and without hesitation they sent me a new one without needing pics or returning of the old one. I then sent that receiver in to be fit with a .243 22 standard barrel and upon receiving it back the fit was terrible. loose, wobbly even when locked up. They sent me a return label and a week later my gun arrived and they had upgraded me to the 24 inch bull fluted at no charge. When my next gun purchase is to be made it will be one of there products.

Offline GreenMachine79

• Trade Count: (8)
    • Toth Tool & Engineering, LLC
Re: Ilion Satisfaction Poll
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2010, 04:44:20 AM »
Sent a new rifle in to correct a problem with a over sized barrel bore and I received the rifle back with the same exact problem except now it had a longer barrel on it without any iron sights.  They also threw my box away so I cant return the rifle now.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2010, 05:22:31 AM »
They also threw my box away so I cant return the rifle now.

How did you get the rifle back if they threw the box away? This makes no sense  ???

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline GreenMachine79

« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:32 AM »
They threw away the original H&R box that has the sticker with the model/serial number and gave me a generic Remington box without any sticker.   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2010, 08:26:20 AM »
You can still ship it back to them, that's not a problem, it's not like you don't have a shipping box, have you contacted them about it yet? If this is concerning a 44mag barrel, good luck with getting them to replace it with a tighter bore, SAAMI uses two different bore specs for 44 magnum rifles and pistols, it just depends when the barrel was made by Marlin and how new the broaches are, if they've been sharpened enough to be near the end of their useful life, they'll cut a tighter bore, new broaches will cut bigger bore, a .432" bore is within spec.

Tim

Rifle specs:
Bore- .424" +/- .001"
Groove- .431" +/- .001"

Pistol specs:
Bore- .417" +/- .001"
Groove- .429 "+/- .001"

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline GreenMachine79

« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
Yes, I have contacted them again and they are sending me a return label.  I think I see our confusion, I am saying that I won't be able to return the rifle to the store which it purchased it from, which is what I would intended to do if they couldn't correct the barrel.  I have seen the sammi specs for a 44 rifle before and I am not sure why they would have chose to do that, of course sammi is not perfect.  I think most any reputable barrel maker would agree that a 44 barrel, either for a rifle or pistol, should have a nominal grove diameter of .429

I am not going to spend all day researching this but here is one off the top of my head:
http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog1.htm

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »
YES !
Turn-around time portal-to-portal was 30 days. UPS took 7 days each way, so Ilion only took 2 weeks to fit the new barrel. They did a free trigger job which greatly improved the trigger. If the barrel shoots as good as it looks when I get a scope on it, it will have been a really great experience at a bargain price.

On line polls often mystify me. How can some people have really good opinions, and others have really bad ones ? It's almost like they are talking about 2 entirely different companies.

UPDATE:
I have been shooting this barrel for a while now and I am quite satisfied with its performance. I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I reamed it the 357 Maxi, and now I am having a lot of fun with it. Best of all, it still shoots great !

Offline GreenMachine79

« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2010, 04:54:45 AM »
On line polls often mystify me. How can some people have really good opinions, and others have really bad ones ? It's almost like they are talking about 2 entirely different companies.

Easy, one employee likes his job and cares about quality work, the other is just collecting his pay check and is looking at the clock for lunch or quitting time.

Offline dorothy daily

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
45 lc classic
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2010, 07:30:17 AM »
recently purchased the above,new. stock has raised grain over most of it and sanding marks scrattered on both sides. forearm has sanding marks and a splinter off one side before it was finished. called customer support explained the above and was advised new stock and forearm in today's mail. so far this has been 180 degree from my experience with remington and my 597m in 17 hmr. that i cured by buying a barrel from jarvis. i will post when stock is received. 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »
Tim, I know Tim Looney's job was marketing, not CS.  When he left, I just felt abandoned.  I don't know exactly why, but I can't warm up to Rem CS, had a great rapor with Gardner.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline dorothy daily

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2010, 09:42:12 AM »
7-29-10 spoke to service rep. explained substandard stock and forearm,see my 7-29 post. ups delivered this date, replacement stock and forearm arrived in a remington box on remington invoice,no charge. that makes cerberus 1 and 1. excellant, on this transaction,can't print how i feel about the 597 17 hmr debacle.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: 45 lc classic
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2010, 11:03:36 AM »
recently purchased the above,new. stock has raised grain over most of it and sanding marks scrattered on both sides. forearm has sanding marks and a splinter off one side before it was finished. called customer support explained the above and was advised new stock and forearm in today's mail. so far this has been 180 degree from my experience with remington and my 597m in 17 hmr. that i cured by buying a barrel from jarvis. i will post when stock is received. 

Remingtom would have given you a 597 in .22 Mag for free.  That's what they are doing now.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline dorothy daily

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »
i believe what they are doing now and at the earlier time is different. it is my understanding they are rebarreling the one the consumer sends in,all of that after several months of trying to screw owners by a couple hundred dollars on value and then not for cash, but a voucher. while they did do right on this stock,the fact of the matter is,it should never have gotten out the door.

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
1+ for Rem CS ! I talked to a very nice gal there named Crissa, I explained that my BC had come with a missing screw holding the elevation on the rear sight. she checked the catalog and explained that she couldnt send just a screw but could send a whole sight. less than a week later I got a new sight in the mail. hard to beat that. DR

Offline BIGDAVE54

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »
 I have not had any dealings with the CS dept. since the change over,but I have bought a 20 gauge shotgun made in NY. It was tight at first. The shells got stuck and would not come out and the firing pin was tight. I had to cock it a couple of times to get it to fire. After running about a box of shells through it things settled down and it has been a good shooter.
      The reason I made this entry is concerning people getting firearms back with dirty bores. When I was in the US Air Force we were made to clean our firearms three times on seperate days after firing. We normally had to qualify every six months at the base range with the model 15 Combat Masterpiece (S&W 38 spl.),m-16 (Armalite m-16A1) ,and 12 gauge shotguns(Varied but usually a Rem.870). The reason we cleaned the weapons was crud working its way out of the pores of the metal. Try this some time....fire a box of rounds through a .22 rifle or any firearm that isn't too expensive to shoot....clean the weapon,and come back the next day and run a clean patch through the bore. I'd be willing to bet there will be residue of some type on the patch. It is possible H&R might be cleaning these firearms a little but bore crud is seeping back out.

Offline cpileri

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2010, 04:46:35 PM »
I am posting here as suggested in this thread: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,220352.new.html  and sent it in for repairs.  I also decided to add a few other barrels,and have them check specifically the hammer spring, etc for any causes of FTF's. 
I hope its OK for me to relate my experiences here.  I wonder if they are unusual or not.

1. Asked them to check the firing pin, etc: I know they didnt check because if thy did they would have noticed the little piece of cotton I left in the pin channel (yes, I did that on purpose. its sneaky and shows lack of trust, but I just got a 'bad vibe' from the guy on the phone. I cant explain it better than that) So, I guess I'll see how the new ammo brands work, as mentioned in last post.

2. new barrels: 45lc/410bore: had ~6-inches of thick (but thankfully only) surface rust ahead of the chamber.  Yes, it was rust, not orange-brown preservative or grease.  This was a new barrel?!?! I corked the barrel, and filled it with Evapo-Rust(TM) overnight and cleaned it up. Now its fine.

3. new barrel: 20ga: had been dropped/bumped along the way somewhere, the muzzle crown (thin though it is ona shotgun barrel) or barrel lip, if you will, had a small dent and was missing blueing in th dented area.  I recrwoned it to remove the burr from sticking into the bore; and re-blued (actually, used a Blue Touch-up pen) and it looks new.

4. new barrel: 30-30Win: also had been bumped somewhere along the way, the left rear sight leaf was smooshed as if it had been hit directly on the tip of it and it squished the soft aluminum into  lopsided cone.  I tapped and re-shaped the sight leaf, then re-painted it (Aluminum Black did nt work so well).  Shouldnt affect the sight picture of the little groove in the middle of the notch.

Is this experience typical of the company?
I think i will enjoy the rifles in any case.  I do enjoy working on the parts myself. But if I pay someone for work ro a new product, well...

Any thoughts appreicated!
Merry Christmas!
C-

P.s. my wife thinks I am nuts and shoud send them back.  But I think: no way.  First off, it will be another 6-12 week wait.  Then, any company that will send out rusty, bent items and not check what they said they would; are nto likely to remedy that with a second chance.  So i'm keeping them and will become a better gunsmith because of it. Every cloud has a silver lining. 

and that without them
we should have no knowledge of it at all."
~ Martin Luther

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2011, 04:36:06 AM »
Ive recently had need of some action parts. I am pleased to say that I have rarely received responsiveness as good as with Rem/H&R on my issues.
A big plus is that they do have someone monitoring this site who not only works for them but is an H&R rifle fan.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jon f

• Avid Poster
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2011, 01:26:55 PM »
I 'm in Australia. Last week I looked at a SB2 45/70 in a local gunshop. Brand new and you struggled to open it. it was an Ilion made on e compleste with a blemish on the barrel. I love H&R , This was the basic 22 inch barrel model and they retail for $625 here.
Quality sells. Here its a lot easier to by a really good second hand bolt action for less than a H&R, and we don't have the luxury of being able to send it back to the factory.
I will only buy Gardner guns.
Badges,we don't need no stinking badges.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2011, 03:56:54 AM »
Great service.  Replacement barrel provided in 4-weeks for 357 Handi that I could not get to shoot better than minute of target with factory ammo, reloads that I made were only slightly better.  Have not target tested the new barrel yet.  Went into casting bullets in the mean time.  Soon, real soon both hobbies are going to collide and that should make for some superior enjoyment. 

A gun maker that will trade you even for a NEW/replacement barrel for one that you have shot a couple of hundred times is MAGNIFICENT.

Offline MS Mule

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »

I got a shipping label from Madison in  about five days. Boxed up my 30/06 with misfire problems and sent it to Ilion. It arrived there on the 15th. and was sent back to me on the 18th. UPS dropped it off this PM. No more misfires. I got similar results with a .308,30/30 handi I sent back a couple of months ago.
Mule

Offline jimbobb55

• GBO Supporter
H&R warranty work.
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
I sent my 45-70 BC in for some warranty work back in Nov.2011. In two weeks they had my rifle back, new barrel - hammer spring - trigger job. I haven't a chance to shoot it until today. It's shooting better than ever, I shot 40 rounds not one FTF. It seems to me if you give H&R a chance they will make things right. One happy shooter here. :D

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: H&R warranty work.
« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
I sent my 45-70 BC in for some warranty work back in Nov.2011. In two weeks they had my rifle back, new barrel - hammer spring - trigger job. I haven't a chance to shoot it until today. It's shooting better than ever, I shot 40 rounds not one FTF. It seems to me if you give H&R a chance they will make things right. One happy shooter here. :D

there are quite a few happy handi owners that have givin brian a chance to make it right !!!
i have nuthin to say but good things bout his efforts and accomplishments.
we should be thankful for a great support system from remington.
h&r forever............IISSMODS ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline catncarp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »

there are quite a few happy handi owners that have givin brian a chance to make it right !!!
i have nuthin to say but good things bout his efforts and accomplishments.
we should be thankful for a great support system from remington.
h&r forever............IISSMODS ;D

I feel the same way, thanks for all BRIAN did
7mm-08,  223, 30-30, 30-30 ai, 357 mag, 357 max TALO, 20 gauge, 50 cal huntsman, 22 mag, 20 gauge smoothbore slug, 30-06-03 target, 20 gauge full,  NRA LIFE MEMBER,

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »
gendoc I second that. Brian has been a great asset for us and me diectly. We and Remington should be happy to have him. He has in the past and present helped me with various issues.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
great to hear jimbobb, deerhunter and catncarp...he has helped me, my family, and my local friends, not counting the manya friends i have on here. i'm proud to be a part of this family of handi owners.
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
I can't even recall all the times Brian has helped me.  Service quality  is at an all time high ......and it seems to get better daily.

Thanks again Brian and everyone at H&R

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • endeavor to persevere
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
Lets give this a try.  Simple yes or no.  Please limit to those who have personally dealt w/ the new Ilion factory.

yes
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »
Yes with good results
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »
Simple Yes ;D
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline Rotten RJ

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
  • Avid Poster
  • "Initial success or total failure."
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »
Yes and Yes  ;)  (357 and 35 Whelen)
RJ
US Army (ret) EOD Master Blaster