Author Topic: Hog population in Garvin County / Pauls Valley  (Read 1050 times)

Offline curtism1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hog population in Garvin County / Pauls Valley
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:57:57 AM »
I'm looking at hog hunting free range pigs in Oklahoma. The outfitter is claiming 90+% success rate and that seeing 10-100 hogs a day should be expected.

I was just wondering if the population would back up those numbers.

Thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Hog population in Garvin County / Pauls Valley
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
You left out too much info for anyone to give a good answer. Is it free range or fenced? Those numbers make me think fenced put and take operation. Still you "might" see such numbers some times free range but then again you might hunt a week and not see a hog or even sign of one if it's free range.

The ONLY way they can guarantee a shot or a hog is if it's fenced and generally if it's a put and take operation but some large fenced areas have naturally breeding populations and are not put and take.

I suspect from their info it's a fenced put and take operation. If you're OK with that then it sounds OK and you'll likely bring home the bacon.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:53:27 AM »
This same question came up on another thread.  On the guys website are some pictures of really big domestic hogs.  I own property in Garvin county and there are not a lot of wild hogs there. 

http://allaboutyouranch.com/index.asp?mid=3&mid2=193

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:50:58 AM »
Judging by the big hogs those are not free range or at least they were not before you got there.  Take a look at the hog photo gallery one.  I think it was six pictures in there is a picture with two guys two hogs around the 150 lb range and one small hog.  The large black pig on the right has a ear notch.  I use to raise pigs and these notches represent numbers by where the are located and serve as a ID for the hog which means that pig is not wild.  After looking through gallery two, I saw three pigs in it that appeared to have notches.  The notches don't mean as much to me as the size of some of these.  Pigs don't get that big when they have been on there own from the first day of life and grow up in the wild.  The boars and sows that I raised would get that big, however some would not even with the best of care.  Many of these are still showing breed characteristics, which means they have not been out for long.  Once in the wild for several years they loose those characteristics and are just ugly.  This may be a place where a lot of hogs have been released either to get the population going or just because some guy could not afford the feed anymore.  It has been several years ago but I use to buy pigs at pauls valley and there were alot of guys raising them for show pigs there, who knows how they got there but they do appear to be free range at the time of kill at least.

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:21:33 AM »
used to hog hunt quite a lot a few years back with dogs. we caught and ear marked hogs for ownership (legally no one can own them) and to tell if we had castrated yet before we killed. We would also cut the tails off when castrating. Biggest I ever killed 2 men could not load in a Nissan. Backed into a ditch and rolled him in. We guessed the weight well over 400 and I know it was free range from birth and had been castrated.
Thanks,
Okieshooter