Author Topic: Let's talk AR15 magazines  (Read 4053 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Let's talk AR15 magazines
« on: September 04, 2008, 03:29:49 PM »
Ok, so now I have the Bushmaster AR (almost, I'll finish paying for it and pick it up in a couple of weeks).  But I will need magazines.  Heard lots of good and bad.  Over on another forum, there seems to be a lot of positive reactions to some new stainless steel magazines for the AR's.  That sounds like a good idea since most of the troubles with these guns can be traced back to magazines.  It would seem that a good, durable stainless steel magazine would be less prone to damage than the old aluminum ones.  I'm not worried about trying to put hundreds of rounds down range in a hurry or of trying to keep magazines working in battlefield conditions.  I take good care of my stuff and they are not likely to be beat up much at all.  My buddy Mikie just told me to just go get the aluminum ones (you know, good enough for the army....) and go shooting and not worry about it.  Who has used what and what do you advise?  I'm also thinking 20 rounders for handyness because 30's stick out so far.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Let's talk AR15 magazines
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
I prefer the Colt's or the newer USGI magazines.  I liked the 20 rounders for shooting prone in High Power matches.  The rebuild kits with the green plastic folowers, will make almost any trashy magazine work ok.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:17:49 AM »
I prefer the Colt's or the newer USGI magazines.  I liked the 20 rounders for shooting prone in High Power matches.  The rebuild kits with the green plastic folowers, will make almost any trashy magazine work ok.

That about covers my feelings also.  Bought a box of 100 assorted GIs a while back.  Some new, some used, some 20s and some 30s.  The key is the price.  No need to pay over $10 for anything.  I picked  up the box for a lot less than that.  Just keep your eyes open. 

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:09:26 AM »
Cproducts makes the stainless mags you're talking about. They also make very good aluminum mags as well. The aluminum mags were $12.95, stainless $17.95 @ Midway. Also check 44mag.com, they have good prices on mags too.

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:15:49 AM »
Get Cproducts Aluminum mags w/ Magpul followers and you will not be sorry. Reasonable price, great performance and construction. Wideners typically has good prices on these mags.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 03:20:27 AM »
The P-Mags are getting a lot of good reports. These are polymer and can be had in 20 or 30 rd. configurations. They reportedly can hold up to much more abuse than Al.and feed lips stay in place when the dust cover is installed so they can be loaded up and stored. They are in the $14 + shipping range.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 03:48:54 AM »
I've two factory new Colt 30's with the green followers and they work great.  I also picked up a surplus Colt 20 and it's done good so far.  I wanted a small capacity mag for the range and for hunting so i bought a Triple K 9 round.  it wouldn't feed so I called them and they said just bend the ears up a bit until it feeds and they were right...i haven't had any problems since.  I've heard good things on the Magpul's and I'm thinking about getting a couple of those as well.  All of these are used in a Colt 6920.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »
I have not tried them but Brownells makes their own AR15 magazines in 20 and 30 round, gray or tan, SS or Chrome Silicon springs. All for the same price $17.95 each. As AR mags go, expensive but if they work every time and you aren't going to be discarding empties into a sand dune, muddy ditch, get them run over by a Bradley etc. how many do you need?
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »
I have not tried them but Brownells makes their own AR15 magazines in 20 and 30 round, gray or tan, SS or Chrome Silicon springs. All for the same price $17.95 each. As AR mags go, expensive but if they work every time and you aren't going to be discarding empties into a sand dune, muddy ditch, get them run over by a Bradley etc. how many do you need?

At least 20 per AR. You can keep the rest of your "Ready" ammo on stripper clips.  ;)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »
how many mag pouches can you carry on your web gear?  20 mags is 600 rds. That is more weight than I want to carry. Where did you come up with the number 20 for magazines? Is there some resource that suggests this as a minimum?
SharonAnne

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
SharonAnne,
Not exactly proposing anyone pack around 20 mags under normal conditions. I would propose that anyone who owns a firearm buy as many magazines and as much ammo as they can afford. And yep, I do just that. I haven't gotten around to numbering them all yet, but already have considerably more than 20 AR mags. I assure you that under the right circumstances, 20 loaded mags would be mighty comforting.   
Savage

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »
I am with John R and FastBike go with Cproducts mags,u will not be sorry u did they are great mags,i have a couple older colt clips and have trouble with them not wanting to feed,sure it is a weak springs, i wouldnt buy any cheap clips did that and they are junk,i bought me to mags from Cproducts one 10 round and one 20 and havent had any trouble whats so ever out of them, the company is owned by a Veitnam Vet so i am sure he knows what a person wants in a mag. the 2 i have has some kinda guide on both sides down in the clip the follower slids up and down on so the follower cant tilt at a angle like all the other clips i have seen and they feed great
1 shot 1 kill

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 06:19:18 PM »
I assure you that under the right circumstances, 20 loaded mags would be mighty comforting.

Ah yes, I have many, many AR mags; 20 and 30 round USGI, though I prefer the 20.  The way I look at it, without a magazine you have a very slow operating single shot.   :(  And M16 mags were issued as "consumable expendables" back in the day, so I still think you got to be able to replace the ones that go bad.

As far as a basic load goes, my philosophy has always been ammo and water first.  Everything else is secondary.  My "grab and go" gear consists of my web gear that only has one pouch for 3... or is it 4?   ??? - 30 round mags, but I also have 2 bandoleers holding 7 - 20 round mags each.  Of course the rifle is an A1 clone, real retro... just like me!   ;D

The magazines sit, and have for some time, cleaned, loaded, sealed in issue protective bags and tucked in their bandoleers.  Lately though, I have given up expecting the 'can hordes or zombies to sweep down on my 'hood.  I have all but resigned myself to the fact that I am doomed to die, old and infirmed, in bed.... :'(
 ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 12:27:08 AM »
As far as a basic load goes, my philosophy has always been ammo and water first.  Everything else is secondary.

Exactly!

Savage

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 04:57:18 AM »
44man, check out www.cheaperthandirt.com. I've bought a lot of mags from them (mostly steel 30 rounders) and have never had a problem. As far as the advice given by Savage and AtlLaw, they know of what they speak. ;D
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 08:37:11 AM »
That's the Magpul follower and what makes it a better choice than the USGI follower. ;)

I am with John R and FastBike go with Cproducts mags,u will not be sorry u did they are great mags,i have a couple older colt clips and have trouble with them not wanting to feed,sure it is a weak springs, ...... the 2 i have has some kinda guide on both sides down in the clip the follower slids up and down on so the follower cant tilt at a angle like all the other clips i have seen and they feed great

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 10:21:08 AM »
44man, check out www.cheaperthandirt.com. I've bought a lot of mags from them (mostly steel 30 rounders) and have never had a problem. As far as the advice given by Savage and AtlLaw, they know of what they speak. ;D

The mags from cheaper than dirt for $17 are the same as these for $10 right down to the green followers.  Again, no need to ever pay over $10 for a mag. 

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5452&cat=1816

As far as a basic load goes, my philosophy has always been ammo and water first.  Everything else is secondary.

A philosophy shared by many, myself included.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
Ok, but I am still undecided whether to get aluminum with the magpul followers, or go to the Cproducts stainless steel.  I am not hard on equipment, but aluminum is still aluminum, and if Obama get's in, what I own, is likely to be all I will ever have.  That makes the SS one's desirable for longevity, BUT as I read on the forums (from Larry at Cproducts) that the followers in the ss mags are cproducts own.  The ss mags are heavier material and the magpuls are too thick to fit.  So if down the road the followers needed to be changed, I would could only use cproducts followers (or thin down the magpuls).  Back to if Obama gets in, many of these magazine companys could very well be out of business.  I have only about a hundred dollars to work with and I figure I can only do this once (unless McCain gets in!) so I'm really trying to sort out all of the pros and cons and cover my butt.  Thanks again.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Savage

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »
44Man,
I have plenty of AR mags, but everytime I see them really cheap. I buy another dozen or so. The aluminum and polymer mags work as well as the SS ones with the proper springs and followers. I have personally found the springs to be much more important than the followers for proper function. In a moment of weakness, I bought 10 of the high dollar, trick, super tactical mags. Been kicking myself ever since. For the same money I could have had 30 mags that worked just as well as the 10! At some point in time, magazines may be better than currency. Just look at the prices Glock magazines were going for durring the Clinton AWB. Guess you can tell I consider full capacity magazines to be a good investment in these uncertain times.
Good Shooting!
Savage

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 10:03:12 PM »
interesting thought Savage. AR15 magazines as currency in post EOTWAWKI times. Perhaps that IS the same as 'president elect Obama' times. Gad, my stomach just turned sour.
SharonAnne

Offline Savage

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 01:49:33 AM »
SharonAnne,
If what I'm hearing is correct, the Obamnation plans to resurrect it's campaign with Biden withdrawing due to "Health Reasons" (Around the 5th of October) and Hillary taking his place on the ballot. Should this happen, the Obamnation may come to pass. It's sad to think the American people could fall for this racist, Islamic leaning, shallow fool. To stay on topic, buy all the magazines you can!!
GOD SAVE AMERICA!!!
Savage

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 02:37:38 AM »
Savage,
I hope you're way off base but fear you're not.  Either way I agree with buying all you can right now and don't waste money on high dollar gimmicks.

Offline Savage

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 03:11:09 AM »
Old Syko,
I pray there is no truth to the rumors! Trust that all of us will.
Savage

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
The aluminum mags won't be less durable than the stainless.

Ok, but I am still undecided whether to get aluminum with the magpul followers, or go to the Cproducts stainless steel.  I am not hard on equipment, but aluminum is still aluminum, and if Obama get's in, what I own, is likely to be all I will ever have.  That makes the SS one's desirable for longevity, BUT as I read on the forums (from Larry at Cproducts) that the followers in the ss mags are cproducts own.  The ss mags are heavier material and the magpuls are too thick to fit.  So if down the road the followers needed to be changed, I would could only use cproducts followers (or thin down the magpuls).  Back to if Obama gets in, many of these magazine companys could very well be out of business.  I have only about a hundred dollars to work with and I figure I can only do this once (unless McCain gets in!) so I'm really trying to sort out all of the pros and cons and cover my butt.  Thanks again.  44 Man

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 05:18:18 AM »
Magpuls - PMAGs are the best i've seen.  Theres a video of them torturing some on Youtube.  $10.00 a piece.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
Old Syko, not to argue, only inform. I bought 4 mags from cheaper than dirt. Part number is "Mag-070" and description is "Parkerized 30 rounds". It doesn't say steel in the current catalog, but I still have the old one that confirms it's the same ones I bought. The ones I got 2 had green followers and 2 had identical black ones. I've put a bunch of rounds through all of them and can say they are better mags than the ones I was issued in the Infantry in the 80's (remember, "all our equipment was built by the lowest bidder"). They're $11.97. Still not as cheap as the ones you gave but still an option. I will check out your link as I only have 13 mags at the moment and need at least 7 more. Thanks.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 07:15:02 AM »
That's a nice deal on the DPMS mags.  I'm becoming a bigger fan of DPMS every day.  $10 a mag is pretty hard to come by if you want something of quality.  Where can you find the PMags for $10 a piece?

Not trying to hijack, but speaking of mags, what about stripper clips?

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 06:57:49 AM »
I stopped by a local dealer today.  He had Pmags in stock so I bought two of them and some 223 ammo.  Cost off the shelf was $24 a piece, but after reading the reviews I figured I'd try two of them out.  They loaded up very nicely and the cover is a nice touch.   So far, I'm impressed with these mags.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »
Teddy the last clips I got came from Pat's reloading maybe a couple years ago.  I've got 2 50cal ammo boxes full + the ones that are loaded and don't need any more so can't really help with where to find them today.

Tn Jim the mags from DPMS are decent quality for $10.  Yes they're are better out there but very few for $10 ea.  Like I said earlier I bought a box of 100 assorted USGI a while back because volume is my goal at this time as it should be for most of us.  If I told you what I paid for the box of 100 I would be accused of theft.  So suffice it to say it was much less than $10ea. 

BTW I'm looking to pick up another box or two within the next few days and hope all here can do the same soon.