Author Topic: Let's talk AR15 magazines  (Read 4054 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Let's talk AR15 magazines
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 10:10:45 AM »
magpul followers should be considered essential, they are that good.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 01:35:03 AM »
Old Syko,
       Just curious, but why do you feel the need for a huge amount of mags?  Where do you buy the 100 mag lots of GI surplus mags?

Offline Savage

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 03:00:20 AM »
Teddy,
Can't answer for Old Syko, but speaking for myself: The likelyhood of a hi cap mag ban could drive the prices of magazines thru the roof, just like it did in the dark days of Clinton. I consider them a good investment, maybe on a par with gold! Not to mention the likelyhood of needing them to arm ourselves against whatever some day.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 04:00:43 AM »
Exactly as Savage has stated.  Thanks!

Teddy where I get them and where you may be able to get them may be totally different.  Mine come from a surplus dealer.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 06:45:35 AM »
I would have to agree if you were looking at these as an investment before the next gun-ban.  That is, IF they allow those magazines to be bought and sold.  There's a gamble that they may or may not be grandfather'd in.  In any event I don't think it's wrong or right.  I'd probably buy a few more if I wasn't saving up for a baby on the way.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 06:52:11 AM »
44 Man I,m looking for some of those magazines myself.    The PMags seems to be the rage right now.    Being an old vet, I'm partial to the 20 round mags like I carried in my 7 mag bandoleer.    At any rate, like you I'm undecided between the aluminum mags and the PMags.  

Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 10:11:05 AM »
Unless you think your mags will be subjected to extreme duty (think YouTube video), I'd let price be the deciding factor. I haven't bought any Pmags because the price has been quite a bit higher than the Aluminum C-Products (last time I bought mags). If I could find PMags for $10, I'd buy a few to try out. Having said that, I have no hesitation about Aluminum CProducts w/ Magpul followers. Except for Pmags, I wouldn't buy any other mag.

44 Man I,m looking for some of those magazines myself.    The PMags seems to be the rage right now.    Being an old vet, I'm partial to the 20 round mags like I carried in my 7 mag bandoleer.    At any rate, like you I'm undecided between the aluminum mags and the PMags.  

Offline FourBee

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 01:33:25 PM »
I found out this much.  20 round mags are hard to find "IN STOCK".    Looked at several sites before I found one that had them in stock.   15 minutes after I placed my order, I get an e-mail stating they apologised, but they had to cancel my order as they'd already sold out.  hmmmm.

Today was a better day, however, as I found some aluminum mags, and they're on their way.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »
I picked up a brand new lower reciever tonight and tried out my new Pmags in it just to see if it would slide out at the touch of a button.  Maybe it's because the receiver is new, but the pmags didn't just fall out.  I tried one filled and one empty.  My little 5 rounder made of metal worked perfectly.  I'm kinda wishing I would have gotten some DPMS or Bushmaster 30 rounders, but for what I'll use them for (range only) I'll be just fine.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 06:26:09 PM »
I picked up a brand new lower reciever tonight and tried out my new Pmags in it just to see if it would slide out at the touch of a button.  Maybe it's because the receiver is new, but the pmags didn't just fall out.  I tried one filled and one empty.  My little 5 rounder made of metal worked perfectly.  I'm kinda wishing I would have gotten some DPMS or Bushmaster 30 rounders, but for what I'll use them for (range only) I'll be just fine.

At 3:30pm got a call from my dealer.   My Charles Daly DR-15 had just arrived.   I've just finished breaking it down and cleaning the internals, gave it a light coat of REM Oil, and re-assembled it.    It's Empty 30 round aluminum magazine went in easy and popped out fantastically.   Loaded, its a different story.   It stops inside the mag well at the point of contact with the mag catch I guess, and I have to slap its bottom to make it catch.   When released it doesn't pop out, but slides out smoothly.    Can't wait to try this baby out --  :D :D

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2008, 01:39:56 AM »
I was pretty disapointed when the Pmags didn't just slide out of my receiver, but at the same time everything is still new.  Maybe after a little wear and breaking in those mags will function better. 

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »
Just ran across this and thought some might be interested.  C-products stainless mags $11.50 ea.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6730

Offline FourBee

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »
I was pretty disapointed when the Pmags didn't just slide out of my receiver, but at the same time everything is still new.  Maybe after a little wear and breaking in those mags will function better. 

I hope your PMags are working out teddy12b.    Mine pop right in and out empty or loaded.   Have some aluminum mags,{ finally found some  }, due in soon.

4/B

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2008, 07:36:41 AM »
My AR has been something I've been putting together and the upper showed up last week.  I took a brass brush and lightly went over the inside of the mag well.  Since then the Pmags have functioned just fine.  I haven't fired the gun or mags yet, but they go in and lock up easily and eject easily.. now.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 08:38:09 AM »
Well, the order went out yesterday.  I only had $100 right now but this is the way I broke it up.  I bought 2 cproducts SS 6.8 spc 17 (same as the 20 round 5.56 body) round mags for a 6.8 upper I hope to have in the future.  Then I ordered two SS c products 20 round 5.56 mags.  That was $60 with the shipping.  Then I decided 'what the heck' and ordered 4 P Mag 20's.  That came to $53 shipped.  I don't care for the long length of the 30's but I may try to do a few of those yet and a couple more 6.8 mags while we can still get mags larger than 10 rounds.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline FourBee

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2008, 10:04:54 AM »
teddy12b Quote:the Pmags have functioned just fine.

Glad to hear that.  It doesn't take much crud to cause the mags to drag.   Same with the Chamber Lugs after a session of firing.   They get all cruddy and may cause the gun to short cycle.   So it's good to clean that part squeaky clean.

44 man  Quote:    I ordered two SS c products 20 round 5.56 mags.  

I saw those.   Would like to know how they work out for ya.  You'll like those PMags.  I didn't think I would, but with the dust cover I don't worry about trash getting in them while carrying them in my cargo pockets.  A 30 rounder came with my AR, but seems to be more of an obstacle when inserted in the mag well.    :)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2008, 12:19:19 AM »
Fourbee, I wanted to make the best purchase with my $100 I could and agonized for a while over it.  I seriously thought of buying all c products mags, they are well thought of.  But I too like the cover feature of the pmags and the fact that they are much more 'hand and pocket' friendly.  It would be easy to carry a couple of extra in your pockets.  And as one man put it; 'this ain't your father's plastic' anymore than the AR is the still the same gun it was in the sixtys.  It has evolved and is very accurate and reliable.  And while I still don't have undying faith in the 5.56 as an anti-personel round, it does seem to get the job done in the heavier weights.  But that is a subject for another thread.  Thanks for all of your input and help guys.  While I have a lifetime of experience with handguns, this is an area where I am lacking expertise.  I'm glad you are all there with your help and experience.  Thanks again.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Savage

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2008, 02:40:21 AM »
44Man,
Dust covers for AR mags are about a buck or less apiece if you want to have them for all of your mags. At most gunshows I've attended, $100 will buy you 10-12 workable 20-30rd mags. It's also a good place to stock up on extra springs and followers.
Savage

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2008, 05:41:27 AM »
Hoe often do you need to change a spring or a follower?  I've never had any problems with either.

Offline Savage

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »
It has been my experience that a magazine in good working order, will stay that way for years without service if cleaned frequently. The follower will have grooves and gouges worn into it after several thousand rds. Usually when the followers start to look really worn I'll replace them although they still work fine. Modern springs can take many thousands of compressions/decompressions before needing to be replaced. They need to be changed every couple of years on your ready mags, or sooner if you have magazine related malfunctions.
Savage

Offline FourBee

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »
Here's a twist.  Two weeks ago, I ordered some 20 round PMags.  UPS delivered them in normal fashion.    This week I ordered some  20 round Aluminum Mags.   Today, I get a call from UPS, stating that someone need be present to sign for the package when it arrives on the specified day, but could not give a specific time.   In other words someone will have to be here all day, or until the little green truck shows up.hmmm !  :o ???

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 02:33:50 AM »
FYI,
     I think PMS pulled their (10) 30 round mags for $100.  It's no longer on their website.  If I'm wrong please correct me.  After Nov. 4th it'll be a good time to buy anything you think you'll ever want.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 03:26:05 AM »
FYI,
     I think PMS pulled their (10) 30 round mags for $100.  It's no longer on their website.  If I'm wrong please correct me.  After Nov. 4th it'll be a good time to buy anything you think you'll ever want.

It was a special just as advertised, but if you do a search you'll find you can buy the same mags from other sources 10 for $90 + shipping and Magpul followers for $1.67 apiece.

If you intend to buy any more lowers do so before Nov. 15th when the 4473s change also.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 04:25:13 AM »
you'll find you can buy the same mags from other sources 10 for $90 + shipping and Magpul followers for $1.67 apiece.

If you intend to buy any more lowers do so before Nov. 15th when the 4473s change also.
[/quote]

Do you have a source for the 10 fo $90?  I haven't seen that anywhere.

What exactly is changing with buying lowers?  I wasn't aware of anything, is it a federal tax of some sort?

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 06:10:12 AM »
Do you have a source for the 10 fo $90?  I haven't seen that anywhere.

The search feature will reveal many things. :D  Center had them for that a couple weeks ago.  If they are out hit DSG or one of the thousands of others that come up.  As I've said, there is no viable reason to ever pay over $10 for a mag.

BTW, DPMS was selling their 30 rounders at the machine gun shoot 2 weeks ago $100 for 11 right off the big black truck.

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/category/25/magazines--components.cfm

What exactly is changing with buying lowers?  I wasn't aware of anything, is it a federal tax of some sort?

The paper work is changing to facilitate excise tax collection and tracking on complete weapons built from parts.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 06:59:39 AM »
I did a google search but it didn't pull up anything other than single 30 round mags.  Thanks for the link!

Haven't they always been able to track a lower when it's been purchased?  I recently bought a brand new DPMS 6 position lower and had to fill out the exact same paperwork at an FFL as I would have if it would have been any other gun.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 07:36:48 AM »
I recently bought a brand new DPMS 6 position lower and had to fill out the exact same paperwork at an FFL as I would have if it would have been any other gun.

That is kind of the point.  A lower is not a gun at all.  The old forms gave you a choice of long gun or handgun.  The new forms list long gun, handgun and other.  Other will be the catagory used for lowers and therefore given "special" attention.  I'd suggest everyone talk to their local trusted FFL holder for details.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 08:24:15 AM »
Old Syko,
    I looked up that link to those $10 mags you mentioned.  That website had a lot of options I hadn't seen anywhere else, but I couldn't tell who made the mags so I e-mailed them the following:

Hello,
     I saw that you had different 30 round Ar-15 magazines for sale for $10 a piece.  I would like to know who the manufacturer is before I purchase any.  Are these DPMS magazines?

Thanks,

Their response:
They are D&H magazines with the MAGPUL anti-tilt GEN III Dark Earth follower.

DSG

I've never heard of D&H magazines.  Are they any good?

Offline Savage

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 08:33:02 AM »
Don't know about the rest of you guys, but I haven't had a mag problem yet in my ARs as long as they weren't severely damaged and the springs were good. The <$10 mags work just as well as the $20> ones. AND---------I can buy twice as many!!!!!!
Savage

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 12:30:44 PM »
Don't know about the rest of you guys, but I haven't had a mag problem yet in my ARs as long as they weren't severely damaged and the springs were good. The <$10 mags work just as well as the $20> ones. AND---------I can buy twice as many!!!!!!
Savage

Exactly!  Too many folks want to buy into the gimmicks and hype. 

Yes D&H are the same as the rest.  Just how many different manufacturers do you really think there are? 

My motto these days is "if it ain't ching, chang, chong it may be OK"