Author Topic: Shooting report on my new Smith Enterprises rear sight.  (Read 311 times)

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shooting report on my new Smith Enterprises rear sight.
« on: September 04, 2008, 04:20:12 PM »
Well I finally got a Smith ladder rear sightand mounted it on my Handi rifle. Looks great.
 Loaded up some 45/70 rounds the other night with blackpowder, 500gr Lee bullet and 65grs of Goex Cartridge  blackpowder. Loaded 5 with a cardboard wad and 5 without. Make my own lube which is 50/50bees wax/Crisco  blend.
 Setup my target at 100yrds to try them out. Used a 3 ft tall by 5ft long piece of carboard with two seperate targets. Wanted to use a big piece of cardboard because I heard the Smith sight shot a little high. Boy was that wrong. 
 Out of 10rds I got one on the very top of the carboard. Was aiming right at the bottom of my target so that means I was shooting at least 18" high.
 I kept my orginal front sight and thought that may be part of the problem. But when I got home I noticed the slide on the sight was all the way forward and that seemed have it tilted back. Wondered if that wasn't part of the problem too.
 Reckin this won't change until I get a new front sight?
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"