Author Topic: Cast bullet load data for 30-30  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Jagguy

• Trade Count: (8)
Cast bullet load data for 30-30
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:43:45 AM »
I was given a box of 177gr cast gc bullets for my 30-30. I don't have any load data for cast bullets and was looking for suggestions. Powder I have in stock is 4198, BLc2, Unique, 2400, and 4064. Any of these usable? I'm sure there are better choices however. Thanks for any help.
-greg

Offline GoodOlBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cast bullet load data for 30-30
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 11:16:27 AM »
Sounds like Lasercast's Trueshot line of 30-30 bullets.  If you contact Lasercast and tell them that you were given a box of these to load they will happily snail mail you a copy of the load data that they no longer provide on their web site.  If you go to their website check under the Trusehot button to see the bullet (not under the cailber button). http://www.laser-cast.com/trueshot.html  Of follow this link.

Also check with the powder companies of the powders you have.  They often have good starting load information.

GoodOlBoy

"The gun has been called the great equalizer, meaning that a small person with a gun is equal to a large person, but it is a great equalizer in another way, too. It insures that the people are the equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed." - 40th President of the United States Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

God Bless America.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:43:56 AM »
The Lyman 48th has a bunch of 30-30 170gr/173g gas checked cast bullet data, now that the 49th is available, you should be able to pick up the 48th for close to $15.  ;) They don't list BLC2 and 4064, but the others are there with a lot more.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 01:44:59 PM »
Sounds like Lasercast's Trueshot line of 30-30 bullets.  If you contact Lasercast and tell them that you were given a box of these to load they will happily snail mail you a copy of the load data that they no longer provide on their web site.  If you go to their website check under the Trusehot button to see the bullet (not under the cailber button). http://www.laser-cast.com/trueshot.html  Of follow this link.

Also check with the powder companies of the powders you have.  They often have good starting load information.

GoodOlBoy

Thats some good advice!! Its ALWAYS best to go to the MFG first.
That being said, LYMAN is my other choice as they do alot with lead bullets. ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jagguy

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
Hey, thats some good info. Thanks! -greg

Offline garandsrus

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »
Greg,

I shoot a lot of 30-30 loaded with 10gr Unique through a Marlin lever action.  The recoil is very mild and the velocity averages about 1400 fps. 

For hunting, I use 27 gr IMR-4895 which has a velocity of about 1800 fps.  You can go up to 30gr of IMR-4895 which I chronographed at about 2000 fps.  The 1800 fps load was more accurate in my rifle.  I was using the Lyman 311041 which is a flat point bullet that is a similar weight to yours.

If you do a search for "30-30" on castboolits.gunloads.com you will find a bunch of load data for shooting cast bullets.

John

Offline Jagguy

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
John, thats a great site, thanks. When you load such a small powder load like 10gr of Unique do you add a filler to keep the powder near the primer?
-greg

Offline Tallwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 04:43:50 AM »
I've loaded hundreds, and perhaps thousands of 30-30 loads with unique. I usually use between 7, and 10 grains, and have never found the need for a filler. Ten grains is getting close to Lyman's recommended max load with bullets as heavy as 177 grains, so take that into consideration. Unique doesn't seem to be position sensitive in the 30-30 case at all.