Author Topic: TIME PASSES SLOW SOMETIMES  (Read 1074 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
TIME PASSES SLOW SOMETIMES
« on: September 05, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
30 days and counting.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
Re: TIME PASSES SLOW SOMETIMES
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 01:44:19 PM »
Get a life.

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »
Time does seem to pass slow when we look at it by the minute or by the day. If we look back a few years and try to remember particular things or events then those years seem to fly by.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:32:19 AM »
I am allowing myownself one last drive. It may not be the last but I have chosen this time of my life to get out and really take my time too see what I want too see.
It may take a month--who knows.
I am going too wander through Tennessee, W. VA., NY, VT., NH, Maine, N & S Carolina,
GA., BAMA----who knows where else.
The Hen, Mrs. Close will join me for 8 days on the Maine portion---the rest is with ME.
28 days and counting.
How is that for a life MS ?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 02:50:44 AM »
I did figure that this was the trip that you were talking about as said in the CB Radio thread.
I am trying to think of something that you need to get done and the mechanical status of your vehical comes to mind.
I know that you are both knowledgeable & consience but has everything been checked over? even the Serpentine belt?

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 03:21:39 AM »
WILLIAM. What a wonderful thing to do, I envy you a bit. I'll never be able to afford to do that, but I wish you well my friend. If you haven't seen the movie THE BUCKET LIST, do so. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline magooch

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 04:29:53 AM »
What--you're not coming out west where the real U.S. is?
Swingem

Offline jhm

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 05:40:43 AM »
William if you get thru central Arkansas let me know and we can share some of the good life as I have been retired for 8 years now and am as busy as ever, It's called by some " what a LIFE " anyhow enjoy the trip up east and watch out for the various accents as some of them use different words than we do.   JIM

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 10:06:26 AM »
Have been west--two years ago we did Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Arches and Canyonland.
I like the west.
When you are with someone who wants to go to places it is fun.
I will be alone most of the times with my brand new Road Atlas and I want to drive some roads rather than go some place.
I am going rat thru the middle of ARK. To Memphis thru Tenessee, the Cumberland gap into W. VA.--do a loop thru the western part and then up too NY--Going too see Ironglow---Go too the Finger Lakes that my ancestry came from too Texas in 1839 (Seneca)--over too Albany too get the Hen and then too do the leaves--too Bar harbor area--back too Albany too say goodby--maybe back too Maine again--Down too the Blue Ridge--N/S Carolina--Golf in Bama and se if the boss is handy---Maybe too the Keys---How about Oregon---Bisby NM--OH heck fire i don't know and the Hen doesn't care either.
It will be expensive but Iam hanging the cost---for the most part. I do plan too get a room every three days, but I am planning on doing some camping and sleeping in Truck stops.
Car--Expedition--has 12000 miles---you too can get a new one if you run a red light and total it out (I really didn't like the color of the other).
Yup I am going too the Ford Place Sept 21st for a total chek-up.
I am really hyped.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
I am going too wander through Tennessee, W. VA., NY, VT., NH, Maine, N & S Carolina,
GA., BAMA----who knows where else.

Now, that's a trip!  Tennessee and Maine have to be about my favorite states in the Union.  If you don't have a AAA membership, I would suggest getting one before you leave.  It is a great peace of mind when your vehicle starts making funny noises far away from the nearest town.

Take lots of pics!

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »
Dakota
You know what, I just got AAA because of this.
I am going too get some flares and reflectors also.
HUUUMMMM.
Anything else?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 02:50:55 AM »
A good first aid kit would  be a nice added feature. When you get into southern Maine, check out the Kittery Trading Post. :)   Blessings

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 03:05:48 AM »
Give me a location Buffermop--sounds like a place not too miss.
Already have the first aid kit.
Blessings
Bill
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 04:20:54 AM »
William, if you would like a fun but very accurate toy, you might consider an automotive GPS such as the Garmin or the Tom-Tom. We had bought one of the Tom Tom units for the Daughter when her job relocated her to the busy Indianapolis Indiana area about a year ago. We went with her prior to her jobs start date as she had to visit two offices for paperwork & drug testing then we visited three more locations in the apartment search. This (tom-tom) never missed a trick on getting us to those five diff locations and would notify us well in advance of lane changes and such...the user friendly menu simply lets one select a City and then as you start punching in an address the screen starts to jibe with what you are doing often displaying the whole address with just a few keystrokes. It would get you to buffermop's place (and others) just fine. I had some play time with this unit the week before the daughter left and did stuff like ignoring my destination and it would quickly recalculate the route. I also drove out on the frontage roads to remote farms & such (read the boonies) and it knew about these road networks for sure.
This unit mounts to your vehicals windshield via a dependable suction cup and we had ours centered below the rear view mirror and slightly angled towards the driver. It was not distracting and IMO Does not take the drivers attention away from the road and the driving as the voice and the highlighting of your course are easily seen at a glance.
The unit is very portable and great for the pedestrian (as pointed out in the manual). If you would have to walk a few blocks to the programmed destination it would do this easily and
Then get you back to your parked vehical or perhaps your hotel when you were ready.

The Cost for one of these units was in the $300 range but we got it for $180 by watching the Bestbuy unadvertised sales that happen on the Internet only and usually extend for the weekend only. I recon that the daughters unit is closer to 15 months old than a year like I originally said so the prices could very well have dropped. If you are interested at all in one of these I would recommend going with the quality unit (Garmin or Tom Tom) and figure that you could recoup 2/3rd's of your investment by selling it upon your return.

I dont mean to sound nosey or pushy and by no means do I sell any electronics but just wanted to make you aware of these if you didnt know already. It would sure make for a great companion on your trip. If your Cobra 29 would announce a bad snarl in the traffic up ahead (as often can be heard well in advance from the people coming from the area) you could simply push the (find Alternate) button on the GPS as most of the time there is an alternate route.

Offline magooch

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 04:24:30 AM »
Just don't forget to have TOO much fun.

Sorry about that, I couldn't help myself.
Swingem

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 07:29:06 AM »
Kittery is tucked into Maine's southern border overlooking Massachusetts and New Hampshire.   Blessings :)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 08:33:51 AM »
Glanceblamm
I---well, the hen, has one of those. I considered it but I am just going too wander and I hate that woman telling me not too turn here or make the first legal U-turn or don't stop here.
Part of the objective is too get away from a woman telling me how, where and when too drive. :D ;) :-*
Actually that is not the complete truth---just 90%. ::)
I am not afraid of getting lost, the road goes on forever.
When I go to South Louisana I take a road and see where it goes---even if it dead ends I have found a new place.
Thanks though. :)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 12:34:27 PM »
Good Plan, It sounds a lot like motorcycle riding as I will point the front wheel in a givin direction and just let it run.
Have a safe trip and dont be having Too much fun like magooch said ;)

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »
Sounds like fun William, something I hope to do in about 9 years or so. Have fun and enjoy!!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 12:09:01 AM »
I am not counting the days ---BUTTTT--27 to go. :-*
It is interesting too find so many GBO-er's along the way. I may drink enough coffee that I never have too go too sleep----I will need a bathroom or two.
Thanks too all who have replied.
Very sincere blessings too all.
Bill
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 03:41:03 AM »
Bill....It sure would be nice if you had Internet access along the route to keep us informed of your daily ventures. Blessings  :)

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 05:10:37 AM »
How very strange, William.  I have sold my place here in WV. And shortly I will hit the road. I moved here because it was were my wife was raised. She's passed on now and there is nothing here to hold me nor interest me. I had my wife cremated so she can go with me. We had a few more trips planned but didn't get to them before her health worsened. I'm going to make them now. She and I and the dog. 
I may end up in middle TN. I've never lived there but I've always thought it was pretty country.  West Virginia is one of the prettiest states I've ever lived in. 'nuf said about that.
I'm not signing off yet. I have a few more loose ends to tie up but I'm not far behind you William.  The only difference is I don't have a destination. 

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 07:50:09 AM »
Man do i envy you.
When i am going some where i have to hit the interstate and hammer down
would like to just drive and wonder around, look under ever rock i want to.
I think i would be careful about going to a trading post that i might need a
first aid kit. :o
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »
It is good too have a wife who is tolerant of my desires.
She has a number of girl friends who do things together. They have been on cruises together---she just came back, two days early because of IKE, from a planned annual week stay in Galveston with them--I hate cruises.
I trust her and she trust me. I have wanted too do this but really, you can't if you have someone else along.
She will fly too Albany and then back home.
I will be seeing some of the boys along the way--for coffee--and I am excited about that.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 04:35:44 AM »
William, I hate to be a pest but have something that might be worthwhile to you on your trip. It has to deal mainly with the road side rest area's but could include restaurants or stores.
The word is Don't Use Your Car's remote to lock the doors at those stops because of recent reports of nearby perpetrators that have equipment that will recieve the transmitted codes which will allow them to quickly unlock vehical doors and get to high dollar items such as camera's and laptops.

To get around the possibility of this happening, just use your manual button to lock the vehical when leaving as their is no wireless transmission to be picked up.
I don't really know how wide spread that this has become and have not even ask the likes of Snope.com about it.
Geeze...I do not believe what a geek that I have become! I think that the digital age is responsible for this as I am just an old Coyote hunter at heart.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 04:58:20 AM »
I have not heard of this---HOWEVER---my next doo neighbor's son-in-law is a cop. He had his son's too a hockey game and while it there some guys broke into his ca---got a laptop, his billfold and were outta there in three minutes. He had the alarm on but a screwdriver jammed into the lock mimmics a key and the alarm doesn't go off. He is pissed and doing his own investigation---God help em if he can get too em.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 05:23:12 AM »
so ya going RIDE ABOUT !
have a great time !
I do so on a more limited time frame , try to hit a Cabelas's every so often ( To get some walking in ) .
sounds line TC , LL bean and a few others might pop up !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !