Author Topic: Switch Hitting?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Mike Britton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Switch Hitting?
« on: September 05, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »
I think this may be the right place to go for starting this thread.
I'm left handed. Been left handed all my life. I shoot right handed rifles off the "wrong side", and altho I've had a few left handed rifles I've always traded them off for "regular" rifles.
Here's the thing. After having trouble with my left eye I found out yesterday I have cataracts in both eyes.
The left one is worse, losing at a pretty rapid rate.
In the course of discussion with my Optometrist, who is a close friend, he asked me what I had in mind about shooting. One thing led to another, and we discovered I was right eye dominant!
For the last 55 years I've been shooting through the weak eye!
So now, at 60, I've decided to learn to shoot from the right side.
And I got to thinking, I'll bet here are a ton of people out there that for one reason or another have had to switch sides. I've been trying to hold off my right side in the house, but haven't had time to go to the range yet. I will say that the cheek piece feels pretty good.
Anybody out there got any advice?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Switch Hitting?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:53:09 AM »
after having a defibrilator installed in my left chest, I had to switch to the right side.  I have no trouble with rifles but I still have the urge to shoot a shotgun from the left.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:34:33 PM »
   Get a .22 that mimics your favorite rifle and start to pratice with it.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
The switch with a rifle will not be hard, the switch with a shotgun will probably never be complete. 

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:26:53 AM »
I read the topic and immediately went back to my youth when Mom used to go "switch hunting" when us boys were being bad and she needed something quick (not unlike the Board of Education) to warm our backsides.

Most of us already have subscribed in one way or another to "hunting the other side" when the deer do not present themselves for individual extinction in the "right place".  I have killed deer both left and right handed. 

I can shoot basketballs with the left and right hands and used to practice both ways.  I wonder aloud sometimes why God gave me a left hand when he could have given me too good right ones (thanks Dave).

Out of necessity, I say you will find the way to success.  Getting the cataracts corrected first so the target is in focus.  Perhaps change your scope to one with a larger optic for both increased light and reduced eye strain, then practice - practice - practice.  How hungry you are for meat will be the tale of the tape.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:10:20 AM »
Thanks, guys. I have rimfires that mimic all my centerfires. Lever, single shot, bolt. The army made me try the M14 on the right side just to humor them, but since I'd been shooting all my life they humored me, and let me shoot left handed. And, I think the M14 makes a pretty good ambidextrous weapon.
I don't shoot much shotgun, and never was any good to begin with, so that's no loss.
Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to the learning curve.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell

Offline Snareman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 12:05:28 AM »
x

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 02:38:50 AM »
 Having taught handgun courses during the big war,my Uncle taught us how to use a handgun from both hands.
His contention was that you never know which hand will be incapacitated when you need it.
Works well for me, so handguns are no problem.
So I tried shooting off the starboard side the other day, with my Norinco jr15.It was ugly! But, the potential was there, and I have a few thousand rounds of .22 so I'm back on the learning curve!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 07:10:32 AM »
i  am  really a confused  person
mostly left handed  but raised by my right handed dad

eye dominance---none
hand gun---  left [except for a few years  after a work accedent tore  up  left hand]
shot gun---right  but  can  aim  fire  if need  be left
rifle---right   most of the time  but don't  hesitate to shitch  if  need be
bow---right  ONLY
base ball --throw   left  bat  right
smg---right  only
golf---right  [but keep  one  lh club in  bag for difficult  lie]
sparring----left stance left  footed [right kicks are very week]

hopefully they  will  fix  you  eyes  if  not  you will adjust  i  am sure
thanks  for  reminding me about  my  eye appointment ...old age is not for sissys
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 08:37:39 AM »
Copy that about old age not for sissies!
It would be nice to be as ambidexteres as you are. I'm so left handed I even think left handed.
When I was in high school, I flunked algebra twice, and was in deep s$%^t if I didn't pass. I just couldn't get it!
My new girlfriend (now my wife) started doing my homework, and the teacher knew I had a new girlfriend because all of a sudden I was passing algebra.
I still struggle with measurements, and abstract concepts because I use the right side of my brain exclusively.
You, on the other hand, are evolved enough that you use BOTH sides of your brain.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
The fact that you were shooting on the wrong side for your dominant eye may be the reason that you aren't much good with a shotgun.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 06:16:42 PM »
I am a traditional righty and shoot rifles right handed but am left eye dominant. I can't see that it has ever made a difference. I can do pretty much everything with either hand though and maybe that is why. I am just hoping that if my wife and I ever have a boy he will be able to throw a 90 mph fastball with both hands "since I can throw with both and my wife is a lefty". I am sure a MLB team would pay big bucks for someone who can pitch with either hand. ;D

Navylawdog

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 04:16:17 AM »
The fact that you were shooting on the wrong side for your dominant eye may be the reason that you aren't much good with a shotgun.
No kidding!?! I have a friend who put himself through college shooting skeet and you should hear him rib me about my wing shooting! If I get the chance, I'll try skeet off the "right" side. Thanks