Author Topic: I survived Gustaz o.t.  (Read 936 times)

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
I survived Gustaz o.t.
« on: September 05, 2008, 03:26:33 PM »
My wife and I rode out the storm in our home in Baton Rouge,La. I have lived here my adult life and have been through many a storm. I'll tell you these two old geezers were scared. I had no structual damage to my home but lost four big tree's and a 60' ham radio antenna. We just got power back on at 7pm tonight. We were lucky there are tree's in several of my neighbor's houses. Both of us would like to thank all of the first responder's that came from all over the country to help us out. We would never have gotten the power back up if it had not been for all of the worker's that came to our aid from many states.
thanks Ten Ring
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Re: I survived Gustaz o.t.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:35:37 PM »
I am so glad that you two survived. My wife and I had decided to ride it out in our house in New Orleans but changed our mind on Sunday and made a 19 hour trip to central Mississippi, a trip that usually takes 4.5 hours. We never lost power in New Orleans but our kids had a great time up in God's country. We fished, shot turtles and saw a bunch of deer and turkeys. They thought that they were on Vacation. Unfortunatly, my house in Venice took some damage but nothing compared to Katrina. If I had it to do all over again, i wouldn't change a thing.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »
Speaking for a bunch of us, we're glad you're o.k.  I personally am glad I don't live in hurricane alley anymore.  If you get tired of it, come on up to Michigan's Upper Peninsula and I'll help you find a nice dry, high, freezing, fly and skeeter infested, game filled place.  Wishing you the best, Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline will36

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »
It was a ruff ride here in Arkansas as well.  11 inches of rain no power and Ill be 3 weekend cleaning up limbs  and downed trees from my yard. I go to Baton Rouge every month or so.  Glad to here you rode it out ok.  How bad were things tore up in  around the bass pro shop?  You ever do business with Red Jacket fire arms?

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 05:11:30 PM »
The BassPro  opened yesterday selling mostly camping equipment. They are actualy are in Denham Springs,La. which is only about 7 miles east of Baton Rouge. I've never heard about Redjacket so I can't comment. Most business is being transacted via generators. We were lucky to get power back so soon as much of the outlying areas will be as much as 3 more weeks.
Ten Ring
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Glad to hear it worked out for you.  Unfortunately, it looks like Ike is headed that way as well. 

I'm sure all down there will be glad when the season is over!

Stay safe and best wishes to all.

Jim

Offline will36

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 04:47:42 AM »
The BassPro  opened yesterday selling mostly camping equipment. They are actualy are in Denham Springs,La. which is only about 7 miles east of Baton Rouge. I've never heard about Redjacket so I can't comment. Most business is being transacted via generators. We were lucky to get power back so soon as much of the outlying areas will be as much as 3 more weeks.
Ten Ring

Red Jacket is @ 9643 mammoth drive
Baton rouge , La   225-448-3167

just off south chactaw drive  He is a gret gunsmith. And if your into Full autos and suppressors you will really like him. Drop by and give him a yell. 

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 09:15:22 AM »
ten ring: Glad to hear you made it OK.  Hopefully Ike will turn and miss you.

My wife left this morning headed right into the face of Hanna.  She is going to her brothers house in New Port News VA. for a wedding, that has been planned for over a year.  Think she will spend a day or two extra in Chicago. 

Got an e-mail last night from my buddy in Ft Lauderdale.  They are preparing for Ike.  I'm leaving Thursday for a week in Tennessee then on to His house for a month.  Larry said come on down, he can use the help for the clean-up.  That is if there is anything left to clean-up.  Every time I go down there to visit, we go by the site where I used to live.  There is nothing left but a slab of concrete, with a few pipes sticking up out of it.  Complements of hurricane Andrew.  The house has not been rebuilt, and unless you know where it is you can't find it anymore due to the regrowth of tropical plants.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 10:05:45 AM »
Ike looks like it is going to take a bad swing for us down here in SE Louisiana. She says that there is no way that she is leaving again. I was going to move my boats back down to Venice on Monday but I will probably hold off. I just spoke to my clients for Tuesday and Wensday and they have said, that they would rather hold off. I cant blame them. This stinks!

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 11:00:43 AM »
glad to hear you made it!! sorry to hear about your antenna farm wreck tho. gustav put a halt on one of my antenna projects to.take care.73's kb5itm.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
So glad everything is OK!!!!! Keep the faith

Troy
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline vinpar092

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 05:27:02 PM »
Just got back home today from being deployed by my Fire Dept. to Labadieville and Napoleonville area. The are strictly volunteer and requested assistance for fire supression. They treated us very well. We did the typical stuff, unloaded 18 wheelers of ice water and MRE's. Helped the elderly cut trees from their yards and homes, tarpped roofs, and ran First Response for EMS. We had a few small fires, nothing to write home about. An elderly man we helped with his trees today was crying telling us how he buried his wife of 54 years one week before the storm. It makes you proud to go down and assist in situations like that. But, I am glad to be home

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 06:11:22 PM »
thank you vinpar! service at home is sometimes just as important and appreciated at hone as it is in the military service. 

Offline JDMANN

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »
Whew!  Just got my power back this afternoon. Eight days was long enough. Glad everyone is OK.  It took me 35 hours to remove all of the limbs and trees from my yard and pasture.  Gonna have four huge Christmas Eve bonfires!!!  I don't like IKE.

Offline vinpar092

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 04:32:56 PM »
We mostly ran chain saws and made a pile for the families to deal with. Most of the elderly couldn't afford a chain saw big enough or have the power to run it. But if we had to manicure the yard and pasture, some of them would have taken us days. One elderly gentleman, 82 years old, like to have worked us to death. He had a tractor that he didn't even know how old it was. He owned it for 24 years, bought it used from a man that owned it roughly 27 years, that bought it from a man used that he couldn't remember how long he had owned it. He said the man owned it forever. He thinks its a 1930 or 35. Anyway, We decided to   take a break and he said "you boys look hot, sit down" as he hooked up the chain to drag another huge pecan tree to the road. We looked at each other, took a big sip and got after it again. Its a good thing his tractor had discs hooked up because he would have flipped it several time. The elderly man wispered to his wife when he thought I couldn't hear, "I didn't even think that old tractor could pull that good", his wife just turned,looked at me and said "Oh, No"

Vince

Offline JDMANN

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
No manicure.  Just two 60hp John Deere tractors with frontend loaders and my 9 yr old on the four wheeler. If you don't have a loader, just drag limbs with a grader box with the teeth down.  When you get to the pile, back up with the box down.  Then raise it up.  I have four burn piles that cover almost 1/4 acre piled 15 feet high.  No golf course, just gotta  clear it to bale the hay.

Offline frankkj

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 03:25:22 AM »
Glad you made it through. I'm just north of you in East Feliciana and managed to make it through myself. I remember Betsy, Andrew, Gert, Katrina, Rita, and all the others, but have never seen the damage to homes and timber as was caused by this storm.

Frank
North of 60 and still goin' strong. Just not quite as fast, nor quite as strong!

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 04:00:08 AM »
I feel your pains...After katrina it took me over a year to get our yard cleaned up...we had lost close to 300 trees.... I spent more time on a tractor and behind a chainsaw than i ever care to do in an entire lifetime....
Our method was to cut the logs in to 15' to 20' Sections and take a set of logging tongs on a boom pole and drag them into a pile and burn them... If you type a rope to one side of your tongs you never have to get off the tractor to unhook them...

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »
Saint Francisville has finally got power.  Only one tree for me and it missed everything but a fence :D

We don't need Ike!
Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Kbis

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »
 Glad to hear you folks all made it OK. Ike is on the way, so I guess it is our turn.

Offline Natty Bumppo

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 05:31:55 AM »
My home in Mandeville came out fine - no damage at all - but several neighbors had tree damage.  My wife evacced to her mother's in South Carolina, and Hanna chased here there, lol.  She came back home last Saturday, just in time to worry about Ike.  Looks like Ike will hit Texas - I certainly don't wish anything bad for our Texas brothers, but Gustav was enough here for one year.  I'm in the National Guard and haven't been home since 28 August, and won't be until we're sure Ike won't hit Louisiana.  I've got to say that we're all extremely grateful to all the Guardsmen and first responders from out of state who came down to help for Gustav (most are still here).  Those folks were irreplaceable.  Makes you proud and thankful to be an American.