Author Topic: 243 handi chamber issue  (Read 808 times)

Offline misterguy

• Trade Count: (0)
243 handi chamber issue
« on: September 07, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »
hi, its been a while...

I finally broke down and got my supplies for reloading for my 243 handi rifle.  Having shot off some 3 cases of factory ammunition I have accumulated a good amount of brass.  So I got every thing ready, and when I was cleaning my cases I noticed a "ring" around the bottom part of the shell.  It is slightly larger in diameter, hardly noticable but there is one on every single shell I have shot.  I doubt it is safe to shoot these again but am not to sure.  So I thought I'd see what you guys thought.  Have you seen a problem like this before?  I have attatched a pic.  Does H&R cover this sort of thing?

Thanks

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: 243 handi chamber issue
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 03:46:18 PM »
Probably just the normal expansion ring. Let's see the pic.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline misterguy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »
oops must not have atatched.  I'm new to reloading....

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »
Is this once fired brass?

I use a bent paperclip and drag it inside my cases to detect separation before you see the line and discard them.

Have the chamber checked by a reputable gunsmith to clarify.

Andrew
yooper77

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »
Is the bulge more pronounced on one side more than the other? It looks like normal expansion, but if it's not symmetric, I'd let NEF know that you have an off-center chamber.

Offline misterguy

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 05:14:10 PM »
hi,
Yes it's once fired brass.  The ring kinda "waves" up and down a little bit.  I guess it's a little off sided.  I'll contact H&R.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »
I'd send them a fired case and tell them that you suspect an oversize chamber. Let them make the call re: a new barrel.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »
Measure a case before and after firing to determine expansion.  Check these against standard case measurements.

Let us know what you find, you may or may not have a problem.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline yooper77

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 03:11:32 AM »
Having shot off some 3 cases of factory ammunition I have accumulated a good amount of brass.

Are you saying you have 600 pieces of this 243 Winchester once fired brass and they all are in this shape?  I was guessing does factory ammo case have 200 rounds in it?  What is the manufacture of this brass?

I had a used NEF Handi in 243 Winchester with a 22" standard tapered barrel, but the store bought it back and return 100% of my money, because of a scope issue.  I like my T/C Encore 243 Winchester 24" standard tapered barrel better anyways.

yooper77

Offline kgarner

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 03:13:09 AM »
Ask H@R to check headspace.

Offline misterguy

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 03:42:03 AM »
hi, its been a while...

I finally broke down and got my supplies for reloading for my 243 handi rifle.  Having shot off some 3 cases of factory ammunition I have accumulated a good amount of brass.  So I got every thing ready, and when I was cleaning my cases I noticed a "ring" around the bottom part of the shell.  It is slightly larger in diameter, hardly noticable but there is one on every single shell I have shot.  I doubt it is safe to shoot these again but am not to sure.  So I thought I'd see what you guys thought.  Have you seen a problem like this before?  I have attatched a pic.  Does H&R cover this sort of thing?

Thanks

Are you saying you have 600 pieces of this 243 Winchester once fired brass and they all are in this shape?  I was guessing does factory ammo case have 200 rounds in it?  What is the manufacture of this brass, can I guess its Federal?

I had a used NEF Handi in 243 Winchester with standard 22" tapered barrel, but I sold it back to the store, because of a scope issue.  I stuck with my T/C Encore 243 Winchester barrel instead.  Plus I heard of a lot of problems with the Handi in 243 Winchester.

yooper77

Hehe oops I meant boxes.  Only around 60 shots through it. Yes mostly federal but I had a box of super x's as well with the same results.  I live in Canada so it might be a bugger to ship across the border.  I'll phone H&R sometime today.  I'll try and make arrangments with the dealer to send it back.  I just hope this dosen't end up costing as much as the gun its self.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 05:14:27 AM »
There are two Canadian service dealers listed in the FAQs to use as a last resort. Read the Handi reloading info in the FAQs, the pic doesn't show anything abnormal, you should be able to handload for it and get it shooting good. I have four H&R 243s two Superlights, three shoot great, the 4th which is a Superlight also hasn't been to the range yet, but I expect it to do well with the right load. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline misterguy

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »
There are two Canadian service dealers listed in the FAQs to use as a last resort. Read the Handi reloading info in the FAQs, the pic doesn't show anything abnormal, you should be able to handload for it and get it shooting good. I have four H&R 243s two Superlights, three shoot great, the 4th which is a Superlight also hasn't been to the range yet, but I expect it to do well with the right load. ;)

Tim

So they should be ok?  Should I give 'er a go?  The ring is enlarged but only a little bit.  But it does look to be a little off sided.  I haven't contacted H&R cause I didn't get home till six and I don't know they're hours.  Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »
Oh OK, 60 pieces.  You should be OK with the brass, I was just now able to enlarge your picture to see it wasn't a separation, but a bulge.  I have used some once fired brass like that and its been OK to reload.

yooper77

Offline dozernomore

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 05:05:53 PM »
oops must not have atatched.  I'm new to reloading....
what do you know,,I wasn't even looking at my used ammo,,,used yesterday and tonight at the range,,243 heavy barrel,,,,checked my ammo...and I have the exact set of ring's on mine also,,,hmmmmm,,,,my rem 770 243,,doesn't leave these impressions,on my shells,,,,,not reloading YET !,,,,,but that's coming soon

Offline misterguy

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
Well I guess I'll try and reload em then.  I think I'm gonna try some 100 gr. spitzer boat tails with 33 gr. of IMR 3031.    This is the next step down from the max in the seirra handbook.  Should I tame her down a notch yet to be safe?  Should I expect shortened life of my brass?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 06:58:56 PM »
BT bullets are difficult to make shoot well, they are long for their weight and the BT makes them sensitive to any muzzle crown problems.  Try something flat based and round nosed, work up from there.  You have the most problem prone Handi built, so start simple and move up.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.