Author Topic: Saddle Ring?  (Read 941 times)

Offline GoodOlBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
Saddle Ring?
« on: September 09, 2008, 03:52:47 AM »
Was thumbing through a few pages yesterday and came upon a site where a fella had added a saddle ring to the side of his 45-70 handi rifle and was using a sling that clipped to it for carry.  Kinda reminded me of a baldric used to hang a sword on your side.  Anyway the guy gives a link to numrich and a part number of #537430 for the ring.  Numrich does not list this as an available part.  Anybody else know where a fella would go about finding a saddle ring made for a H&R?

Thanks

GoodOlBoy
"The gun has been called the great equalizer, meaning that a small person with a gun is equal to a large person, but it is a great equalizer in another way, too. It insures that the people are the equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed." - 40th President of the United States Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

God Bless America.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Saddle Ring?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:13:21 AM »
Here I go, ignorant again.  I've got a Marlin 336T with a straight grip and a saddle ring.  O.K. coach, now what do I do with it.  I have a scabbard on my saddle, and I can't imagine a loaded .30-30 swinging around on a thong.  Please clue me in.  Thanks, Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:34:16 AM »
http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/handi.htm

Snitched the image from this gentleman's website.  He makes the slings and was the one with the part number.

"The gun has been called the great equalizer, meaning that a small person with a gun is equal to a large person, but it is a great equalizer in another way, too. It insures that the people are the equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed." - 40th President of the United States Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

God Bless America.

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:38:31 AM »
Here is what the side of his handirifle looks like

God Bless America.

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
And yet again I show my inability to read a page when in a hurry and fifteen other things going on.  It appears this guy is drilling and taping the recievers himself.  It certainly is a project to look at, but don't know if and when I am going to get roundtoit.

GoodOlBoy

God Bless America.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 09:04:53 AM »
I have two of Junior's slings.One on a '92(357) and one on a '94(30-30) they are very well made and are very handy.  hth   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »
Here is the same one but in silver that he used. in his article he said that it has a 10-32 thread.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=533650&chrMasterModel=SWIVzBANDS/BASES/STUDS&idDept=328

I imagine if you went through all the ones listed you'd be able to find a blued one with the same thread. If you read the article he did'nt use an existing hole he drilled and tapped for it.

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:37:33 AM »
Yep looks like all the saddle rings in 10 x 32 they carry now are nickled.

GoodOlBoy

God Bless America.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:44:24 AM »
This appears to be like the old military sling used in the civil war.
I think in would still let the gun flop around a lot even just walking.
Seems like a regular sling would be a lot safer.
JMHO ::)
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 10:01:40 AM »
I was thinking how much better it would be when climbing a tree, crossing a creek, etc.  no sling trying to slide off of one shoulder.  And if you need hands free for something (like tying up a trail marker or a scent bomb) then you could let it sling.  not like I would use mine all the time I prefere to walk with my gun in hand.

GoodOlBoy

God Bless America.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 08:47:31 AM »
I'm going to have to side w/ the others and agree that there are better ways to sling a rifle.  I'd think that the saddlering w/ a metallic quick connect could really scratch up the reciever.  But It does look cool...
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."