Author Topic: Did she or didn't she support the bridge.  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Did she or didn't she support the bridge.
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:32:21 PM »
I say no she did not.  Decide for yourself.

Ted Earmarked Funds for Bridge that Goes Nowhere

* Stevens championed proposed bridge near Ketchikan that became national symbol of wasteful spending
    * Sen. Murkowski’s family would benefit personally from the bridge
    * State of Alaska killed bridge

The proposed Gravina Island Bridge, also known as the “Bridge to Nowhere,” became a national symbol of wasteful congressional spending and driver of earmark reform.  On Sept. 21, 2007, the State of Alaska officially abandoned the controversial project.

The Gravina Island Bridge initially received $223 million in 2005 via earmarks by Alaska Senators Ted Stevens and Lisa Murkowski. The bridge would have connected Ketchikan, Alaska with its local airport on nearby Gravina Island (population 50). Congress stripped the earmark after a national uproar about it but appropriated the money anyway for unspecified transportation uses. Former Gov. Frank Murkowski’s administration set aside about $113 million of the appropriation for the Ketchikan bridge. However, Gov. Sarah Palin said the $398 million bridge was $329 million short of full funding, and only $36 million in federal funds were set aside for it. She said it was clear Congress had little interest in spending any more money for it and that the state had higher priorities.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Did she or didn't she support the bridge.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:02:51 AM »
While we're looking into what was spent for transportation in Alaska, maybe it would be instructive to see how much was spent and how the two Senators from Mass. voted on the "Big Dig."
Swingem

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 04:31:27 AM »
I will be voting for John McCain in November no matter what.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jimster

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 06:35:32 AM »
the tape I saw concerning the bridge...was cut short...when I saw more of it, I understood a bit more...

That tape showed she said she did not want to get in the way of progress, it appears that the legislation was already in motion and she had only 72 hours in office....when they played more of the tape...she actually said...she did not want to get in the way of progress after only 72 hours...sounded to me like she wanted some time to look it over....which would be smarter than walking into something and setting off a bomb the first few days...I only saw this tape...but saw mroe of it then what the media showed..the part about being on the job only 72 hours was a big thing to leave out.

I think it's easy to take pieces of tapes, or parts of sentences...and make anyone look bad.

I also saw Greta interview someone up there, sounded like this guy did not like Sara Palin, and was saying she spent state money on travel expenses...yada, yada...Greta then asked how much the previous gov. spent...half a million...she then asked what Palin spent...he then sheepishly said...1/5 of that....

this tape could also be cut up....and only a part of it used...the bad part of course.  Greta did follow through....but all of that will not be used you can be sure.

I take it all with a truck load of salt.  On both sides. 

After watching both candidates last night, it's not hard to figure out which each one wants anyways.

Mac...we don't need government to run everything.
Obama....we need government involved in everything. 
Pretty obvious which would be worse to me, and more expensive. 

I see alot of crap flying around from both parties now...strange, the only one not crying, not poting a finger at the media, and not complaining about treatment...is Palin. 
That's class...she seems to be above both parties right now.
and she seems to not really give a rat's butt what people think of her...Im think they call that confidence in yourself.
Regardless if anyone agrees with her views or not...she gets points for a certain amount of integrity so far. 

By the way..the questions they asked last night at that university was some of the stupidest questions I've ever heard...wonder who wrote that crap?? 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 06:56:31 AM »

The lady is honest and dosen't have to read a speach some one else wrote !
I could care less about a bridge at this point . Look at the waste of the other side !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
If she was for it, then, against it, it proves to me that she changed her mind because she cared about the will of her people. Good for her. POWDERMAN.  ;) ;)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:29:47 AM »
 ???

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »
It is our job to care for ourselves.  We don't need anyone to care for us.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jimster

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
Maybe when the funding for the bridge got shuffled to the State, she figured they should not spend it.....or maybe something else....

Or maybe if she would have just spent the money on the bridge, everyhting would be OK and there would be no problem right now huh?

Or would there?  Maybe it would not matter which way she went...certain people would make it into something bad either way. 
I think there is a certain amount of people who would change their own tune on any subect to make sure it was a different view from Governor Palin.

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
i rather have her in office than someone who said''typical white person'' in a speech.

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 06:50:18 AM »
My view is that what the media is missing about Governor Palin and the Ketchikan bridge proposal is that she is the one Alaskan that showed us how the rest of the U.S. sees that project.  She was the grown-up in the room who led us to see what a boondoggle it is.  That is why we need her in Washington, DC.  She truly is a leader.  Believe me, if she becomes Vice President, there will be some positive change in America exactly as she has been great for Alaska!

I hope that all gun owners are now entirely engaged in this election.  We have 49 days to get this done.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 08:22:07 AM »
GUYS , GUYS ,GUYS this is turning into a are the real or not game !
politicans that is !

Offline Casull

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »

Yeah.  Remember that the next time you call the fire department, an ambulance, the police, drive down a public road, etc.   ::)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:44:50 AM »
After looking into the project she decided it was too costly.  That is when she killed the project.  As for giving the money back, all the money was included in a road project and none of it was spelled out just for the bridges, since the money was needed else where, with Senator Stevens approval and recommendation, she used it for other projects.  The appropreation had been written in such a way to give her that lattatude to use it else where.

Not only was Gov Murkowski in position to benifit from the Gravinia Island bridge, Congressman Young was to benifit from the Knik bridge.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 04:21:59 AM »
  What does this question come down to...other than is Gov Palin fit to serve as veep ? Common sense tells me that the answer can be
   best provided by those who know her best...her fellow Alaskans. We already know what they think of her by her highest acceptance
  rating over almost any major elected official in the nation.
        Before anyone gets the idea that favorable numbers in a candidates home state is a given, consider other election cycles where
   it appears that in 2000 Al Gore couldn't even win in his home state of Tennessee; just as McGovern, in his run for prez, couldn't win
   anywhere but in Massachusetts...even failing to capture his home state of Minnesota.
        When a governor or any other elected official has an approval rating hovering between 80-90% they must be doing plenty that
   is right !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »
Ironglow has some great insight.  Over the years it has sure appeared to me (here in Alaska) that whenever I ran into people from Arkansas they were not very enthusiastic about the Clintons.  However, whether or not you're a President Bush fan, I think you would agree with my observation that Texans entirely like the man and believe he was a great governor.  I am entirely certain that Governor Palin would do a great job in Washington, DC.  Specifically, she has the small town common sense that comes from growing up in a family that eats moose, caribou and fish as their main staple.  She believes that less government is a worthwhile goal.  She believes that energy independence must be developed for both US security and the US economy.  I don't know how successful the McCain-Palin administration would be but I know that whatever they do it would be far superior to the alternative.  And for those among us that don't like government, I suppose the contrary view is to vote for McCain-Palin so that with a Democrat Congress our federal government will be tied in knots.  Finally, I am certain that the McCain picks for US Supreme Court vacancies will suit me much better than Obama choices would.  Thanks for your time.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 07:55:04 AM »
she knows how to live her life and does not need govt. to get in the way . hope she can get elected , a third time ( pres. ) , get laws removed that try to force us to live a certian way and make voters responsible for themselves not waiting for the next hand out like a dog learning tricks !

I CAN DREAM CAN"T I ?

oh yea the bridge , who cares ?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 12:51:02 AM »
  Something tells me that if the possible recession/depression comes about, Alaska under the leadership of Sarah Palin will fare better than much of the other states.. There is just something good about having a gov that is decent, family oriented and hunt & shoot with the best ! 
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 03:43:33 AM »

Yeah.  Remember that the next time you call the fire department, an ambulance, the police, drive down a public road, etc.   ::)

+1 to that!!!!!

What we all need to remember about Palin, is that no matter how much she claims to be "one of us" or an Average Joe Sixpack, she's still a politician, and I'd venture to say a decently wealthy one at that.  I'd say her children have been somewhat neglected by her during her campaigns for office and prolly her husband too.  JMHO...

She's going to say what it takes to get into office just like any other politician, but it's her actions after the fact that will determine if she is true or not.  I'm going to guess that they are not.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 05:40:32 AM »
 Sam;
  Why are you so down on Palin ? She surely is carrying much less baggage than the other three in the top four slots!
  She can't be as bad as you claim, Alaskans like her too much..or are they just stupid ?

Now; I'm giving you a chance to be an equal opportunity complainer:

In Barack Hussein Obama we have a guy with a Muslim name and Muslim roots, born to a woman who was an iconoclast. This guy has sworn to take the part of Muslims in political affairs. He admits he wants to "spread the wealth"...Karl Marx said it " From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."...We know virtually nothing about his past, before his Chicago years and the major media  isn't interested
   Now will you give us as strong a critique of this guy as you have of McCain & Palin..

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 05:54:55 AM »
ironglow some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope !

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 07:06:16 AM »
Yeah... and some would complain if you crapped in a bag, and lit it on fire on their doorstep... Whats your point?

Ironglow - why can't a person be a skeptic toward Palin?  I'd venture to say a fair number of Alaskans are stupid, as are a fair number of people in the lower 48.  I'd say Palin carries as much baggage as any other politician.  Why can you claim she doesn't?  Yeah, I'll vote for McCain/Palin to keep Obama out of office, but thats the only reason why... My views on the "beloved" Sara Palin are a lot in line w/ those of John Cleese

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMyNk8J1c8g

As far as criticizing Obama... What you said about him is pretty close to my views.  Add to that he's in favor of late term abortions, gun bans, higher taxes, and a poor foriegn policy, and you've got a nice Communist package that young voters (myself one of the exceptions) will eat up. 

Biden... well... he's a scrappy lil' fella from Scranton PA... SCRANTON PA!?!?  What the hell?  Is Scranton equal to Watts or Harlem or something?  Give me a break. 

My views on the matter?  While I'm voting for McPalin to keep Obama out of office, I'm not beyond pointing out the weakness of the party I'm backing.

I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 07:19:50 AM »
No, the Palins are not rich, upper middleclass maybe.  They lived in a very modest home in a reguler subdivision for years.  Then recently moved to a much bigger and nicer home on a lake.  Still not a mansion, just a nice home.  Lake homes are not uncommon in their area, there are hundreds of lakes in the Wasilla, Big Lake, and Houston area.  Tod has a good paying job on the slope, hard work and lots of time away from home.  Those slope workers work like 10 and 14 hours a day for two to three weeks at a time then are sent home for a week or two depending on how many hours they worked.  Tod also has a fishing permit, not sure if it is commercial or subsistence.  It has been passed down through his family.  Their kids went to public school.  Track is the only one I know personally, and he is a very fine upstanding young man.  I remember seeing him playing Hockey against my son's high school team.  Sara and/or Tod were always there.  I met some of the guys in his unit at the gym on Ft Wainwright, they all speak highly of him.  Track is a well liked soldier on his own right. 

Yes Sara hunts, just like most kids that are raised up here.  Wasn't that long ago that Beef was too expensive to purchase up here.  So our hamburgers, meatloafs, steaks, sausage, and hams, came from Moose Caribou, and Bears.  Alaska custom is also as soon as a kid is old enough that kid goes out and shoots their own Moose or Caribou to suppliment the families larder.  When there is more kids and they take more than the family needs the excess goes to Grandma and Grandpa, then to members of the community that are unable to get out and hunt, the elderly or sick.  Nothing goes to waste.  Same thing goes for fishing.

Sara is very anti corruption.  That is what motivated her to get into politics in the first place.  Since she took office we have had several state legislatures go to prision for bribery.  Sara is the one that turned the FBI on to their corrupt ways.

Sara took on the Alaskan Republican party that was very much against her.  Alaskans were fed up with the corruption so we came out in force and supported her.  The incumbent Frank Murkowski was highly supported by the Republican party, Old Frank got 3% of the vote.  Then she trounced the Democrats so badly they can't get over it in the general election.  They are the ones telling all the lies and making up stuff to discredit her.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »
sam, point is some like to complain others ......

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 07:53:48 AM »
Others.......blindly support the republican party????

I apologize to Brett for hi-jacking the thread about Sara supporting the bridge or not... I'll start a new thread as so this one can get back on track...

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 05:56:45 PM »
Others.......blindly support the republican party?
Sam, I'm not trying to talk you out of voting for McPalin, but we're not blindly supporting the GOP by any stretch.  It's just that there is no viable alternative.  Every vote otherwise just helps put Obama into office.  I strongly urge you to get involved in your local Republican Party.  If you want to make a difference, and change GOP, that is the way to start.  The GOP is actively seeking "new blood" at least it is here in Alaska.

Living in Houston, AK (Alaska) and as a relatively close neighbor of the Palins, I back what Sourdough says 100%.  Other than the politics, they live a typical lifestyle for an Alaskan family that is willing to plan ahead and work their asses off.  The American dream isn't dead if you are willing to work for it.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 10:04:17 PM »

What we all need to remember about Palin, is that no matter how much she claims to be "one of us" or an Average Joe Sixpack, she's still a politician, and I'd venture to say a decently wealthy one at that.  I'd say her children have been somewhat neglected by her during her campaigns for office and prolly her husband too.  JMHO...

[/quote]

Sam are you a married man? Boy this statment makes it sound like you think a womans place is in the kitchen. Pretty sexist. JMHO...
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 12:53:08 AM »
  C'mon Sam;
  Sourdough is obviously "one of us"..a hunter & sportsman with genuine family concerns. No "political plant"..he has been on GBO for a long time..look at his post count..
   How often can we get "first person" accounts of how one of our presidential election contenders truly lives ? Although my kinfolks don't live in Wasilla, but just east of Fairbank, Anchorage and some work the north slope..they speak of how genuine Sarah Palin is, and how impartial she is on "bringing down the thunder" on less than honest contemporaries.
  I say, thank God we have at least one genuine human being, with real decency.. to choose from in our political morass !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 01:13:19 AM »
Is the bridge really important.  A few years ago I wouldn't have voted for a women or McCain.

Right now, I seem to have no choice.  If she were up on murder one, I'd still vote for McCain/Palin.  As a matter of fact I already have.

Are you gonna fish, or cut bait?

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 01:44:12 AM »
Happily Married, and how is my comment on Palin sexist?  If her husband is away for 3 weeks at a time, and she is out running around campaigning, who is taking care of the kids?  That's not an unfair question to ask of a woman who is running on a "family oriented" platform. 

You want a sexist comment about Palin?  I think Sarah Palin's time would be better suited hanging babies off her hip and baking muffins instead of intruing upon boys club politics... The only place a woman has in the whitehouse is in the kitchen or scrubbing the bathroom floors. WOW! 

Do I actually believe that?  No... but if i'm going to be accused of being sexist, may as well have some fun w/ it ;D don't ya know.

***part removed due to correction from Swampman*** - thanks

I'm voting for McPalin b/c I have no other choice.  That being said, no matter how well you average joe 6packs know her, I'll be remaining skeptical about her and her claims to family first, you betcha!