Author Topic: Wear out a Handi?What's the life expectancy/durablility?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline MISSEDSHOT

• Trade Count: (0)
Wear out a Handi?What's the life expectancy/durablility?
« on: September 10, 2008, 05:17:42 PM »
I asked this same question in the rimfire section of this forum about the Sportster and got a reply of 200,000+ or something like that before missfires and such begins due to wore transfer bars/springs etc. inhibit the ability to fire.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Wear out a Handi?What's the life expectancy/durablility?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:34:36 AM »
It depends....

A .22 Hornet will outlast a .500S&W.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline towpro

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 01:44:25 AM »
It depends....

A .22 Hornet will outlast a .500S&W.

It depends. First you have the calibers that will wear out the throat in any barrel they are shot from.
then you have the calibers that will wear out pivot points (recoil related).

I have an H&R Topper that is from 194? in 20 gauge. it was Dads first shotgun, it was my first shot gun.  It has been shot more then anybody can count.  It's a little loose at the hinge but I would shoot it again.  In fact it looks so much like my buffalo classic that I have picked it up thinking it was the BC.
guess I need a "tap light" in my safe.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:34:18 AM »
I don't think any of the rimfires will loosen up much from recoil.
You've got more action strength than you'll ever need.

The transfer bars have broken though. No telling how long that would take.
Also some of the higher round handis have had the hammer spring replaced.

Nether one of those is that bad of a repair though.
With a little care they should last a few generations.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 07:13:35 AM »
I was just looking at Hornady's ballistic tables this morning for the .22-250.  They say the Varmint Express 40 gr, V-Max has a muzzle velocity of 4150 fps.  How many of them does it take to smoke a Handi barrel??

I'm shooting the big, slow .55s at 3800 :D ;D
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:04:45 AM »
 I think at my age I might be able to wear out a 22-250 handi before I die if it were the only rifle I ever shot (This round is known to burn out some bbls after ~3000 rounds under certain conditions).

However, would anyone really expect to 'wear out' any single-shot rifle to the point where it needed to be replaced in their lifetime? The H&R's may be inexpensive, but they're as durable as any similarly manufactured guns.

If I only had one rifle - with no possibility of finding a new barrel or replacement parts for it - it could possibly be a problem.

I don't tend to worry much about such eventualities in my $1000+ automatic rifles, let alone in my $200 single-shots...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:19:19 AM »
I don't know about the rimfires,but JPH 45 was getting about 1500 rds.through his Handi's before everything went to pot.He shoots alot every eve. with cast bullets and a 38 55 and wore his gun completly out,while changing hammer springs,and alot of everything else.The pins that held his together had been taken out so much that they would fall out on there own.Its unbeliveable how much this guy shot his 357 max and the others he had. He may have just had a bad one,but he almost never shot hot loads in his.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:11:36 AM »
Digger, that's stretching the truth a bit, John started having problems with misfires at 1500 rounds, at 2500 he replaced the hammer spring and all was well. Fred also has misfire problems with a weak hammer spring, but it's easily replaced as is the transfer bar if and when it breaks.

The bigger problem is the underlug pivot which will end up causing a loose barrel when it gets worn, the only option to that is having the barrel replaced by H&R if it's a factory fitted barrel or shimming it. Keeping it lubed will go a long ways to making sure it doesn't wear too soon. I have an old H&R shotgun that was made early in the 1900s with no serial number, it was my grandpas at one time, he gave it to my Dad when he was a kid, he gave it to me when I was 8, it had a little play in the barrel then, I put a wrap of brass shim stock on the hinge pin and it's been good to go for a long time. When I started turkey hunting in '95, my Dad wanted to used it, so I checked it and the barrel was loose again, another quick shim and he killed a turkey with in in '96 using 2¾" high base #6, he wouldn't shoot the 2¾" mags in it which I shot alot when I was younger, probably why it was loose again!! ;D

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,76654.msg472936.html#msg472936
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 05:55:22 AM »
You are probably right Quick,but I was almost sure he said it was loose at 1500 rds.and he sold it.He was shooting a Encore at the last PD shoot he came to,and he said he'd never go back to the Handi's.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:56:49 AM »
I have an old H&R shotgun that was made early in the 1900s with no serial number, it was my grandpas at one time, he gave it to my Dad when he was a kid, he gave it to me when I was 8

So that's were the saga begins. ;D

Offline RIF

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »
Alright folks!  Any new info here?  I have recently purchased a 30-30 SB2 Handi and a 357 SB1.  I am an avid shooter and have a range in my backyard that I shoot in most every day of the year. 

I am going to be putting the guns through their paces.  I do not plan to hot rod the loads, but I will be shooting hunting loads out of them from time to time.  Everything will be lead bullets. 

How many thousands of rounds can I expect to get out of either of these receivers?  The answer seems to be anywhere between 500 and 50,000.  Can anyone help to narrow it down? :)

I think everyone is aware that hot rodded loads will wear a gun out quicker that is pretty intuitive, as well as a 22 hornet lasting longer than a 450 Marlin.  Anything beyond this common sense stuff though?  How many rounds do you have through yours? 

Thanks much

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »
 For how many rounds they'll maintain accuracy would be a better question.  That a rifle is still holding together, not in any danger of blowing up means little if its no longer accurate enough to do its job.  As for H&R/New England shotguns, I've seen older examples that had been fired so much they were literally falling apart.  How safe they were is debatable, but they still fired.

Offline GWC

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 03:50:10 AM »
I'd like to think I'd live long enough and shoot enough to wear out a Handi,or any quality rifle for that matter. Odds are most rifles given minimum care and sensible shooting practices along with sensible loads will outlast most of us.

Offline twoshooter

• Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 04:42:27 AM »
I have HEARD of some of the Ubermags, and back in the day 264 Win in bolt guns, shooting out a barrel in a thousand rounds or so. The only gun I ever SAW that was worn out was a 67A Winchester 22LR bought by my Dad in 1936. The Bolt had a groove worn in the bottom and the extractor was worn flat. We retired it in the late 90's. I know I shot 25K plus rounds myself starting in the early 60's. I do not think one person could actually wear out a Handi under any normal circumstances. We would have to be talking something like  aPD shoot with a 22/250 every day for months or years. For one thing , the heating of the barrel would destroy accuracy to the point that it would be useless to keep shooting until it cooled. I could shoot my cast loads in my 500 all day long and it would not overheat, but who would do that? The closest I could come would be a competition trap shooter with one of the Topper Trap guns, and I'll bet 20 years on that.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 08:31:38 AM »
I have abused the heck out of my original 30-06.  I've put hundreds of boxes of shells through it.  Still locks up tight, and shoots true.  Don't think I'll wear it out in my lifetime.  Doubt I've got that many years left.  Now Sky might wear it out, like his old man he is in love with the 30-06.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline keith44

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 08:56:05 AM »
I suspect either accuracy or lock up issues will be the main issues.  In either case with the chamberings you list, I do not believe you will live to see the day that they will fail.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 10:32:17 AM »
I CAN SEE A FEW SMALL PARTS BREAKING OR SPRINGS WEAKENING BUT THEY CAN BE REPLACED. IF YOU GOT SAY 5 HANDY'S YOU WOULD REALLY HAVE TO WORK HARD TO WEAR THEM OUT UNLESS YOU BLOW THEM UP BUY USING TOO TO HOT OF LOADS. I HAVEN'T HEARD OF ANY BODY DOING THAT I HAVE SEEN A FEW BOLT ACTIONS THAT BOLT WAS SET BACK AND RUINED GUN. MY HANDY'S HAVE BEEN TOTALLY RELIABLE.LAST YEAR WAS THE FIRT TIME I NEEDED A SECOND SHOT TO GET MY ANTIL0PE NEXT HUNT WILL BE WITH MY 45-70 BC CAN'T WAIT.

Offline RIF

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
Alright thanks. 

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »
Given the frequency that barrels or rifles wear out under normal, or even heavy use, I'd say you have better odds of blowing up a rifle from an obstructed barrel than ever wearing out a Handi Rifle.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Monteria

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 01:13:22 PM »
While I have nothing of value to add, I would like to point out to RIF that myself and my pack of hunting dogs are available for adoption. :)

A personal shooting range is really all that I am missing in my current domicile, but damn I want one!

Steve

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »
Wear out a Handi in one life time?  Never gonna happen!
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline RIF

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
Wear out a Handi in one life time?  Never gonna happen!

Good to know what you think. 

Is there a list of parts of spares that are prone to breaking somewhere around here? 

And to Monteria, my wife does not care about the range, she wants to move to town.  I am getting to old to fight her off much longer  :D .  She says there will be nightly back rubs, plenty of cookies, and I can have a few more guns!  It is a tough call have not lived in town for over thirty years so will be like Jed Clampet, and yes she wants a cement pond too! 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 04:57:01 AM »

Is there a list of parts of spares that are prone to breaking somewhere around here? 

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 04:58:49 AM »
She says there will be nightly back rubs, plenty of cookies, and I can have a few more guns!  It is a tough call have not lived in town for over thirty years so will be like Jed Clampet, and yes she wants a cement pond too! 
Doesn't quite seem like a fair trade.  You better get more than a few more guns, ask for some high priced guns! ;)
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Monteria

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »
and yes she wants a cement pond too!

What does she want a cistern in town for? You wouldn't have cattle troughs to fill, and I doubt that the windmill would be permissible in town either...

Steve

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »
IMO it take a lot to "wear out" any weapon.  As a boy I got a used Springfield 22.  For about 6 years, it shot from 500 to 1000 rounds a week.  I just cleaned it up, refinished the stock, and passed it down to a grand daughter.  It will still stack 5 in the same rough hole at 50'.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)