Author Topic: 9-11  (Read 580 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
9-11
« on: September 11, 2008, 02:43:02 AM »
I hope this offering isn't blocked and that it doesn't offend anyone. It is NOT about cannons.  It is about the world.

I'm getting choked-up again, just writing about it. I'm an old man and an artist, so we do things like that. 

My daughter was on her midtown office building's roof as soon as they heard that the plane hit and she saw the 2nd plane hit.  I was in my studio when a friend called and told me what was happening.  I cleared my bench of the commission I was working on and went non stop creating 3 sculptures as the horror unfolded. 

The ideas for all 4 sculptures were immediately etched in my mind.  I knew what had to be done to express my feelings.

If there is any interest, the hour is approaching and the pieces are on my website as WTC Memorial Sculptures in the index.  You can enter my website from here on the left.

Here is one of them. There are four.

Life's a bitch and then you die.  Make the best of every day while you can.

Richard
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 9-11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:17:19 AM »
I was home that day and a friend called me and told me to turn on the TV that someone had crashed planes into the WTC and the Pentagon, with in minutes of turning on the set I watched in disbelief as the second plane hit the WTC, I live in a navy town in Va. and all the fighters were scrambled within minutes I'm from Long Island and had worked in NYC one comercial radio outfit I had worked for had antenneas on the WTC, it hurt watching it & I for one will NEVER FORGET.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:19:52 AM »
9-11 day.  I was in Eureka, MT at a motel getting ready to go to the Port of Entry at Rooseville to conduct training classes.  Saw the tradgedy unfold on TV.  Taught the class with frequent breaks to check the TV and get up dated.  At noon, drove the 4 hours back to the Port of Entry at Sweetgrass and went to work. Wasn't called  in, just jumped in and went work.  Worked 14 hours that day.  For the next  62 days worked 12 hour shifts 6 and 7 days a week.

Since that day my career was focused on anti terrorism.  I left Montana and went to Headquarters in DC to worked to identify any possible terrorist or terroist related materials entering the U.S.  I later went to South Africa and was in charge of a team prescreening container cargo to intercept WMD.

Even in in retirement I continue the fight.  I frequently travel to teach Customs Officer how to find WMD.

The events of that day changed my life for ever.

I will never forget. 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 06:53:19 AM »
9-11   

Just another day.

Just another day like November 22.  One we'll NEVER forget.  One where EVERYONE knows where he/she was at that moment.

Just another day that clarifies one's values in life - reasons for doing what we do, protecting the freedoms we have AND extending our care and concern to others.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:53:29 AM »
Well Back in Feb,26.1993 I lived and work as a Resident Manager for a luxury condo just a block and a half away from the Twin Towers. The explosion in the lower level parking garage blew out the entire lobby's tempered glass window, lucky no one was hurt while entering or leaving lobby at that moment. Several years later I was over offered another postion in mid town which I took. On 911 my wife who now is retired member of service,was on her way to work just three blocks away from Twin Towers, While exiting the subway she then realize that the first plane had already slam into the first tower, as she stood there in dismay the second airliner flew directly above her into the second tower. The impact was so strong it knock her to the ground. I personally lost several friends on that day , may God Bless their Souls. No not just another day.. :( I'll Never Forget!!

Ed

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
For those of you who did not click beyond the initial image, here is the heart of the sculpture. There are 3,000 tooth picks here in the foundation.  Each one represents a victim. The number is no longer an abstract.  It is a horror.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »
I am filled with Hatred . Itll never go away. Many have seemed to have gotten over it by now. I dont believe most realize how deep the threat is ., the war on terror is actually approaching 1100 years ., it started with the great crusades and has never actually ended and it never will unless one defeats the other ..., one sees killing as a bad thing and therefore is essentailly being smothered out ...., Look at countries in Africa and places like Indonesia where entire villages are wiped out and the governments look the other way . I feverishly resent this and wish the pacifists would wake up.  The war over this has never actually ever really stopped ., its just now in our face and not somewhere else. The topic is frustrating., There is nothing I can do ., 1 politician recently accused me and others like me of being a Bible toting gun carrying radical. He is right of course and will not recieve my vote. .....,
Currently pissed somewhere in S.E. Asia ..,
Rich

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 12:01:41 AM »
It's interesting to contrast the scriptures of two of the major religions of the world - one says, 'they'll know you are my disciples by your love'', the other says that we are right they are wrong and you must kill them.  That defines it for me.  Scarey.  These are times for VERY careful thought and approaching of others, not a time to be weak nor a time to be inconsiderate of others.  Ballencing act.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)