Author Topic: BEARS  (Read 1502 times)

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
BEARS
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:07 AM »
We are getting a bunch of bears in my neck o' the woods. A buddy has had to run 3 off from his house in the last month. It was not all the same bear but don't ask how he knows for sure. ::) One coming through a kitchen window, one sitting on his front porch, and one on the hood of his truck because he had trash in the back of it. Saturday my 12 year old was driving me in the mountains and we saw one cross the road in front of the truck. :o Wish they would open season for 'em next year.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline blacknwhite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: BEARS
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:15:09 PM »
What part of the state are you located in? It would be nice to get a season.

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:37:09 AM »
s.e. okla. pushmataha county
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:47:55 AM »
There are probably no huntable bear numbers in Oklahoma, you are seeing the rouge bears feeding on garbage and other foods people are careless with.

Do you know if your state is talking about a season?  Was there ever a season in Oklahoma?

Most likely these bears would be trapped and relocated or roam out of the state on their own.

yooper77

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:52:59 AM »
they trapped and relocated bears here for severals years and now I believe the numbers to be gaining rapidly. I know of 2 that have been hit on the highway this year and a few caught in hog traps. you can not put corn feeders anywhere without bears getting to them, everyone has pics on game cams. I know one guy with pics in city limits. They have talked of season this year or next with limited kills. You would call in the morning before a hunt and verify limit has not been reached before you hunt and then you go. There are enough bear here that you hear of sightings weekly and can not go to mountains without finding where they walk the roads. A season would be pretty cool.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Toyforever

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 04:53:49 PM »
they trapped and relocated bears here for severals years and now I believe the numbers to be gaining rapidly. I know of 2 that have been hit on the highway this year and a few caught in hog traps. you can not put corn feeders anywhere without bears getting to them, everyone has pics on game cams. I know one guy with pics in city limits. They have talked of season this year or next with limited kills. You would call in the morning before a hunt and verify limit has not been reached before you hunt and then you go. There are enough bear here that you hear of sightings weekly and can not go to mountains without finding where they walk the roads. A season would be pretty cool.

I live in LeFlore County ( northern ) and use to drive a tanker down 59/259 every day.  May a day I would see on either on the road or just off of it after you got past Hodgens.  I don't think it was the same bear every day because there would be 10 to 15 miles between locations of sightings.
My wifes uncle has a cabin at Pipe Springs and his neighbors have bears in there cabins, he lives in his year round and has had them on the front lawn near his burn barrel, but not closer than that to the house.

A season would be benifitial to OK, especially so close to the AR line.

I would go for sure.

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 04:22:20 AM »
My grandmother has a cabin on holson valley road and they have broke in it several times. She had automatic dog feeders and had to get rid of them. Always thought it was neat they would get in her fridge (when she was not there) and take lids off jars instead of breaking them. Just seemed weird to me.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:52:49 AM »
I used to own a cabin and 80 acres north of Honobia put up a corn feeder drop tube type filled it with corn and hung a tree stand about 15 yards from it checked it 2 weeks later feeder was torn off the tree all the corn gone thought some one had torn it down then check tree with tree stand and there were bear claw marks going up to tree the stand must have smelled me on the tree and thought there was more corn up it drop tube was made from 4inch pvc and you could see tooth marks in it
Cecil

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »
in my stand yesterday and sounded like someone trying to get my 4 wheeler out of my truck so I headed that way. When I got there I saw a bear running down the road away from me. Guess I better quit throwing snack wrappers in the back. ;D ;D
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Hooker

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 08:24:59 AM »
I hunt north of Eagletown we have seen a lot of bear sign around camp.
One camp less than 1/2 mile from us had a camper trailer clawed up one night during last years rifle season.
I haven't seen any bears yet just some sign, but I hope the population continues to
grow. It would be nice to have a season on them.

Pat   
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 12:52:08 PM »
It would be nice to have a season on them.

This may be a dumb question but can you eat bear?  It just does not sound too appetising to me. :P
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
 ;) Howdy! Look at some recent posts on bear meat in the bear hunting forum.  A mix of opinions on the subject.

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 11:14:59 AM »
Seems like they have had a Bear season in western Ar-kansas for several
years now, some of those booboos came to Okla. looking for peanut butter and jelly ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.