Author Topic: Rumor Mill - MAJOR gas price hike RAT NOW!  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Rumor Mill - MAJOR gas price hike RAT NOW!
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2008, 08:45:05 AM »
GB: Refinery dynamics are a little different here in Cold Central. Our prices went up 20 cents a gallon immediately after the storm hit land.

No surprise there.

I don't expect $1.90 unless there is something going on in the futures market that is unseemly and not tied to supply.
Safety first

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2008, 08:50:38 AM »
one other thing , we watched a station take 2 loads of gas , yet 6 hours later the pumps are still closed ? And they don't sell diesel .
HUMM , waiting for price to go up ? naw no one does that now do they !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 09:27:57 AM »
Well as GB said we are out of gas here.  The closest place to even get gas is about 15 miles away and all they have is premium.  Our way of life is changing and changing fast.  I have began to walk my 5 year old kindergarden student to and from the bus stop about a 1/2 a mile away down and up a HUGE hill.  Where we live walking to and from any store with small kids is a challenge to say the least.  My truck is almost full of gas and i figure if we do all the walking we can, then we can save what gas we have for when we really need it.  I guess it is a good thing I bought the boys new bicycles recently.  We have been visiting the local trails so they could learn proper riding procedures.  I just hope it is enough to prepare them for the worst.  When we get gas at our local stores I'm not sure we can afford it if the price doesn't drop.  I know if the price of gas is taking this big of a toll on my family, I can't imagine what some people are going to do to get by.  It is a scary world out there and getting scarier by the minute.

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 10:24:05 AM »
this was a strong cat2 just below a cat 3, i don't know where the cat
4-5 hit. but this cat 2 came right up the Houston ship channel. Guess where the refineries are?
all power is out in Houston, i think it takes power to run a refinery, also have to wait till water goes down, it is a miracle the refineries were not destroyed.
they say it could be 8-9 days getting them back on line. 14 drilling flatforms
in the gulf destroyed. pipe lines in gulf will have to be repaired. Yea its bad
its bad all over. Some of you sound like you are from New Orleans.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »
if  you  got  a problem  with  the  windfall  profits  of  the oil  companies  you  should  just  buy stock  in  them  or  alternative  power  companies  ....  you  chose  to  become  dependent  on  them...   Americans  cant drill off  our coast because  you voted into GOVERNMENT Nancy Perlocy and  the other democrats   even  tho  the  Russians and  cubans are  drilling south of  me  here in  Florida....some people are  running  diesels  on cooking Greece....GOVERNMENT is fining many of them for not paying high way taxes....i  tried  to  tag  a  small  Kai truck  but getting   over 50 mpg....GOVERNMENT wont   let  you.....how  about  a  solar powered  golf  cart  just  amount  town....GOVERNMENT  wont  sell  you  a  tag.....i  would  rather  see  $5  and  the  gas  stores  stay  open  than   they  run  out  and  close   their doors    if  they  sell  out  then  they  cane  send  their  help  home....drive  less  and  carpool.....just  topped  off  my  twin  tanks  on  my  f350  utility truck.....ouch
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »
Ya'll hear where the price of oil hit a new LOW today. First time under $100 per barrel
in a long time, and gas prices are going up and stations can't get enough?
I got a couple or three college degrees, even a minor in economics, and just dosen't make
real good logic.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »
Hey guys I have been watching the national news for the better part of a day now. I have yet to see anything about gas stations being out of gas. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2008, 11:41:50 PM »
Dale, There are several stations in and around the Charlotte, NC area that have run out of gas.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2008, 12:17:48 AM »
this was a strong cat2 just below a cat 3, i don't know where the cat
4-5 hit. but this cat 2 came right up the Houston ship channel. Guess where the refineries are?
all power is out in Houston, i think it takes power to run a refinery, also have to wait till water goes down, it is a miracle the refineries were not destroyed.
they say it could be 8-9 days getting them back on line. 14 drilling flatforms
in the gulf destroyed. pipe lines in gulf will have to be repaired. Yea its bad
its bad all over. Some of you sound like you are from New Orleans.

You might be right about that I'm a long way from it and have no first hand knowledge of the matter. But the news reports I've seen on it said it was a large but fairly weak cat 2. I certainly claim no first hand knowledge on it and can only go on reports we get here of the status of it.

Hey guys I have been watching the national news for the better part of a day now. I have yet to see anything about gas stations being out of gas. Dale

For the most part our news comes out of B'ham as that's where all the TV stations are located that we call our "local stations" the rest are national network stations that we get via satellite. Last night they had a piece on the effects in B'ham and said that MOST stations were out of gas there and those with gas mostly have the higher octane and higher price gas only. They also said Wednesday or later was when new supplies were expected AT BEST. They again mentioned it could be 2-3 weeks before the supply line was back to normal.

They had some guy on and I failed to grasp just who he was or what his level of expertise was supposed to be. He actually claimed this was GOOD FOR US ALL and that the higher prices would serve to reduce useage and increase supply both and that the higher prices long term were a good thing for everyone. I have to assume he is on the payroll of big oil as I sure can't see gas at $4 to $5 a gallon as being good for anyone else but big oil.

The prices on the pumps they showed in that news story were from $4 to $4.30 per gallon. I sure don't know what the future holds and have no clue what will happen but I can't see it as good. It might be that only those of us whose gas comes from the gulf coast refineries will be affected in this manner and those of you who get yours from Canada or west coast soures might not be impacted in the way we are.

I'm sure glad I don't still work and have to be on the go daily as I'm not sure how those folks are finding gas to fuel up on right now. I don't know of a station within less than 10-12 miles of me that has gas right now and I'd not know of those except for reports from Matt since he passes them on the way to here. They seem to have only the higher octane gas at this time. I don't really have to get out to go much of anywhere so am not. I'm driving only when necessary and plan to keep it that way at least until supplies are once again flowing. Then I fully expect them to keep prices as high as they can and will be surprised to see it drop below $4 a gallon again around here. How much that will affect what I do I don't know. I'm already a very low mileage driver putting less than 7500 miles a year on my vehicles and often less than 6000 if I don't take an out of state trip.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2008, 02:11:27 AM »
refineries  are shut down  so  gas prices go  up  OR we run out
refineries are shut down so  fewer refineries buying crude so price goes down   OR  they don't  make sales
better to pay $10  a gallon  than  run  out i would say
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Oldtimer

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2008, 02:33:59 AM »
Talk about a nation of sheep!  The oil companies raise their prices and everyone jumps into his car and buys up all the available supply out of fear.  Like Graybeard, I am sticking close as I can to home until things sort themselves out.  One local station still has $3. 49 posted as its price for regular.  Others, in North Carolina, have gone up to over $6.00 per gallon.  I had to go into town on Saturday, the day after the run on the stations, and saw one car filling up.  What if it had been reversed, and the day the prices went up. there was only one car filling up?  Think the prices would have stayed up?  I have to give the oil companies credit: they really know what makes their customers tick. And what do the consumers say to that?  BAAA.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2008, 10:13:51 AM »
Well as i understand it(don't mean its right) people in the Ft.Worth Dallas area
were told that the refineries will be shut down when IKE comes ashore
don't know when they will reopen because of power. I guess we should have
stood up like men and said" Don't care about shut downs you better not raise the price of gas here" i just was not heard. The gov. of TX did come out and say any one thinking about price gouging would be dealt with. Don't know
if that meant whipped with a wet noodle, if he didn't get his cut. The last i heard fri. nite before i went to bed was 110mph and that was about 5mph
off of a cat 3 and it was like 400+miles wide. I am familiar with Galveston and the pictures on MSN look like Galveston is pretty much gone. Gas went from
$3.34 to now around $3.69 but have not heard of any outages, i just buy
more when the gage gets low still have to go to work. If all you guys that are retired or not working would just stay at home the rest of us would have more gas, (see how that flies) ;D
Rex

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2008, 10:44:08 AM »
Funny, the oil refrinreys around here, generate their own power. In fact, make enough to sell off if they wanted to. Maybe because we have Lake Erie, unlimited water supply.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Brett

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2008, 12:04:35 PM »
I'm no economic genius but I can not for the life of me see how higher fuel prices could in any way be a good thing.  Everything that we purchase at any store requires fuel to produce it and more fuel to transport it.  Therefore the price of everything will have to go up to cover the increase in fuel cost.

I'm in the construction trades and like most blue collar workers I have to drive to work every day and I have to drive my truck. Public transportation or car pooling is not an option. And because my work requires the use of large tools such as a table saw, miter saw, air compressor, etc. buying a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle is out of the question. 

So then when construction cost go up due to higher fuel prices, construction work slows down and people get laid off.  The banks won't be writing construction or new housing loans and will loose more money and even more people get laid off.  Now all these out of work folks can not afford to go out to eat so the restaurants begin loosing money and closing and you guessed it... more people get laid off.

So please, someone show me the good in higher fuel prices because I just don't get it.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2008, 12:18:41 PM »
If all you guys that are retired or not working would just stay at home the rest of us would have more gas, (see how that flies)  ;D

Dat's what I've been doing.

I did have to get out today to go to town. Needed to drop by the bank to make some deposits and by the post office to mail out a package and buy some stamps. We also stopped by the a grocery store to get some needed items while in that direction.

I noticed ALL gas stations are open again and have all octane levels of gas again. Must not have been much of a real shortage after all. Prices for now are holding at $4 a gallon for regular. In my opinion it was just a ruse a pretext to raise rather than lower prices. The price on crude dropped below $100 a barrel for the first time in a long time just prior to the storm. Rather than drop gas prices as that should have dictated they chose to use the storm as a pretext to instead raise prices. It's price gouging pure and simple and if not illegal is at least immoral.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2008, 06:06:27 AM »
I believe you are right GB but think the gouge comes after the refinery sells
to the wholesaler.
Gypsy do they generate power in a huricane. waste deep water, snakes,
aligators, sharks, huge red drum, sheep head, old women begging for gas?
Rex

Offline magooch

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2008, 04:02:15 AM »
I just filled up yesterday at $3.59 per gallon.  That's the cheapest gas has been around here for quite a while.  Our price has been higher than everywhere except California, Hawaii, Nevada and I think Alaska.  That--is thanks to our Dumbycrat legislature and Dumbycrat Governor and the libs in the Seattle area.  They love them taxes.
Swingem

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2008, 04:18:18 AM »
If ya buy a bottle of water at the same store ya get $ 4.00 gas it cost you more !
A 12 oz bottle is over a dollar . That would put it over $5.00 a gal. If we want prices down then we need to  restrict our buying any product !

Offline tegana

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »
If you want the price of gas to come down  you need to  drag that fool   twit running the house  out and  fly her like a flag from a light pole on Penn ave for all to see.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2008, 07:18:40 AM »
I put gas in my truck Sat. night for 3.39 per gal.  Cheapest i've seen in a while. 
Unfortunaely for us gas consumers, "Big Oil" has us right where they want us.  They watch consumption reports and charts so closely that even if we did manage to find a way to cut our gas expendatures, they would still be able to adjust prices and speculate to keep the gas price at the same price it is and remain on an upward trim.  I remember when I first got my licence gas was about $0.98 per gallon.  When it went up to $1.50 people were griping about how they didn't know how they would make it.  Now it's $3.50 a gallon and people are saying we don't know how were going to make it.  Well were are making it.  I just wish I would have purchased some stock in exxon or chevron instead of buying my first truck lol...
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2008, 07:42:33 AM »
Gas is now $3.53 a gallon around here. Since we don't get too many Cat.1-2-3 hurricanes around this part of Ohio, the only times the refrinery's shut down, is during shut down.Their always making gas. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2008, 07:48:01 AM »
My brother was laid off at Uniroyal because they can't get rubber to make tires.  We are having a hard time getting plastic pipe.  Some of these refiners and manufacturers were shut down due to the hurricane.  Maybe they should move these facilities away from the coast.  Some of the gas stations have been out of gas around here also.  Ones with gas are selling it for $4.09 gal.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2008, 07:51:44 AM »
Gas is beginning to come down a little here $3.39  yesterday opposed to $3.59
last week.
When i was in high school worked a CO-OP station some sold lots of gas
for $0.20 a gal. when we had a price war (2 stations in town) it would go to
$0.15 gal wish i had saved some of that. ::)
Rex

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
DIXIE DUDE , and give up their reason to raise prices ?

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 08:28:44 AM »
Most all the crude comes in ships, that is why the refineries are mostly on the coast, we could build pipelines or buy more trucks and tank trailers
Rex

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »
Would it make any sence to protect such a vital product ?

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2008, 09:15:51 AM »
Since no one is investing in banks right now, investors are going back to oil.  Oil has gone up on the market about $20 today.  If anyone is into preparedness, now is the time.  We will probably be in for high inflation next year.  I heard through the grapevine at my company, that there would be no raises for anyone, top to bottom next year. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
RAISE ?
how about keeping a job ?

Offline USMCmailman

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2008, 01:23:10 PM »

THE TERM " ARMED INSURRECTION " COMES TO MIND ------------! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ???
HOME OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE !
                        SEMPER FI !
  PROUD USMC VIETNAM COMBAT VETERAN

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2008, 03:44:06 AM »
That coming from a mailman?  ::)
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."