Author Topic: Bersa .380  (Read 2381 times)

Offline kix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bersa .380
« on: September 13, 2008, 04:30:48 AM »
  Hello all.  I recently got my Texas concealed license and qualified with a Smith 669 double stack 9mm. I bought a Bianchi model 100 IWB holster and immediately noticed an uncomfortable bulge that I could'nt tolerate. So the search was on-fun fun!  A relative has carried his Bersa Thunder .380 for over 4 years and since he lives in a rural area he has put about 5k rounds thru it with not one jam. For a while he had a Thunder .45 (before he gave it to his son) with the same results. I might add he is not a gun-cleaner so recently he tore it apart for the first time and was astounded it still functioned, rust and grime galore. He is calling it the AK-47 of pistols, even took pictures. So with all this info I bought the new Bersa CC model and so far I'm very happy, about 300 rds. of fmj and Hydro-Shocks with no problems, it even fits quite well in the same holster. Since the pistol was only $260 OTD I think it is a pretty good deal. Recently I was in a sporting goods store and noticed 2 guys checking out the 4-500 dollar Walthers so I pointed out the Bersa's and from their expressions you would have thought I was pointing to a pile of crap! But to each his own. Just thought I would pass on my Bersa experience.    Kix

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Bersa .380
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 05:58:33 AM »
They're inexpensive so people assume crap.  The Bersas though have a good track record. If you do some internet research, you'll find pretty happy owners.
There may be some dispute on the .380 auto as a defense round, but  no dispute on the quality and functionality of the Bersa.

BTW, I love mine.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline kix

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:20:42 AM »
  Well, Tribready, I'm glad someone out there likes  the Bersa; at first I thought those two Walther boys were controlling this thread!  I can understand the inexpensive/crap aspect, when my cousin recommended Bersa my first thought was "Made in Argentina?", remembering my old pos Llama back in the '70's. The Bersa, however, is a different horse by far. As far as the .380 for defense I considered getting an IWB for my 1911 but then figured no, too big for my taste and besides, if I don't want to mess with a holster I can simply drop it into the pocket of my shorts and shorts in my climate is the norm. And I, for one, would certainly hate getting hit with one of those little Hydro-Shocks, especially if I knew one or two more might be on the way! Ouch Ouch!    Kix

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »
I've had my Bersa .380 for several years and never had a problem with it. Carried it all day today while working outside. Good guns.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Archie

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »
What kind of groups can you get at 25 yards.  I been thinking about getting one, but am unsure about the accuracy.  Will do a lot of plinking.  Can you hit a can at 25 to 35 yards.

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 01:53:13 PM »
 I have owned one and never had a jam or misfire. I think they are great guns, not just for the money but right up there with Walthers.  I also might add that they are not as fussy about ammo as some of the Walthers.
As for accuracy, I don't know why you would worry about the group size at 25 yards.  About 98% of all self defense situations are within 7 feet.  The 380 in any gun is not going to shoot like a "bulls eye" comp pistol.  My feeling is if it will group 6" at 15 yards, it is all it needs to be.
Having said that, my Bersa will do 2" at 15 if I do my part.
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline kix

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 04:39:09 AM »
  Hi Archie. Read DC's post and you will learn what the purpose of a 3.25" barreled .380. is for-self defense up close. Can I hit a beer can at 25 yds? Sure. With every shot? Hell no! If plinking is your goal you would be much better served with a .22 sporting a 6" barrel, that will nail a can. Most of my shooting is done at 15-20 feet, just about the distance that I could realize (and comprehend) a "hostile threat". But at that realistic self-defense distance you would not want my Bersa pointing at you. In that respect it does very well.  Kix

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
I also have a Bersa 380 Thunder, I also am amazed at how increadibly accurate my 199.00 dollar pistol is. I can pull the trigger in rapid fire succession at 15 ft and leave a nickle size hole in the paper. It does have one strange quirk, when the slide is locked back and you slam a magazine into the well, the slide will come forward on it's own, not a big deal. I just recently found out the front site has came loose. I have plenty of other guns to carry, I will get it fixed sometime.

Offline schnarrgj

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 02:18:20 AM »
Both my wife's and my Bersa Thunder are very accurate and our usual CCW. They have a fixed barrel which enhances the accuracy. However with the short distance between the sights,  makes it a little harder to be real accurate at a distance. For more information go to  http://bersatalk.com/default.aspx. Yes we love ours and have had ZERO problems with them.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:58:26 PM »
kix - ya havin' nightmares or sumptin?  Ain't no Walther boys on this thread, yet.....

But, ya know, I love you guys:  my Chevy is better'n yer Ford, or my SUV can out-mud yours, or my Bersa is better than or at least as good as your Walther.  Oh kiss it....

I doubt there is one of you who bought the gun, whether it is a Bersa, a Beretta, a Walther or a Ruger, 500 rounds of ammo and just pounded the snot outta the thing.  You think a couple of hundred rounds over a year or so sets the standard for performance, or worse, that a box or two will make or break the gun.

Which one of you spoke to its accuracy....oh yeah, DC siad - I don't know why you worry about group size at 25 yds....if it groups 6" at 15 yds it is all it needs to be.  Are you nuts?  6" at 15m is a dead-off miss on a rescue shot and most likely a dead hostage.  6" at 15m could easily be a complete miss or a non-incapacitating flesh wound and a dead you.  If you do your part the gun will group 2" at 15m - that's at least what it should do and your skill should support that capability. 

Gosh, Bersas have pinned barrels - wonder if they got that idea from Walther.............. Bersas are double/single action - wonder if they got that idea from Walther too.  Ooops - let's not forget the finger rest on the magazine - yep, Walther dun it first.  Anytime anyone wants a comparison they always compare to the original.  If they can come up with one favorable comparison it is a winner.  Sort of like comparing Obama to John Kennedy - 'Oh, he is such a great orator - he's a winner' - being such a great orator simply means he is full of bs as we may well come to learn in the next day or so. 

For goodness sake, if you want a $500-700 da/sa 380, get a Walther, either the PP, the PPK, or the PPKs.  If you do not care to spend that much, get something else

I've seen a couple of Bersas and handled some.  Not bad.  Feel/look a bit bulkier than a Walther. 

Without a doubt my first choice would be a Beretta M34 - don't often see them around anymore but would sure like to have a new one or one that was unissued.  Failing the Beretta M34 I will take a M70 and failing that I will take a Walther PP, but this is just my preference. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 08:55:50 AM »
Mikey,
Don't you know we all want a $700 pistol for $200?!!!!!!! ::) Never owned a Bersa, most that do speak well of them. I have owned a Walther, and know of others that have been in service for decades and still performing well for their owners. I don't imagine most folks put thousands of rounds thru a pistol of this type, but if you wanted to, I'd bet the PPs would still be perking!! I consider both the Bersa and PPs to be too large and heavy for the caliber. Different strokes I guess. Hope I never have to make a rescue shot, but would feel more confident doing it with the PPK than any other pistol that size that I have shot.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »
Savage - you're sure right about the price factor, the Walther's continue to run top dollar and you are also right about the PP being big for the caliber but that's why they handle and function so well.  I simply should never have sold the last PP I owned and would correct that if the chance presents to find a nice slightly used one for the right price................... just thinkin'..........

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:22:36 AM »
I like my Walthers---I, generally, opt for originals especially if they have been around as long as Walther's have.
I have always wanted a weapon that I knew I could count on. That said, it may be a Bersa, for you.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »
I bought the Walther PPKS last month. I knew the Bersa was just as good as the Walther but I always wanted the Walther. The Walther was greatly improved by S&W and it shoots great. Would it had made more sense to buy a Bersa-probably-but logic doesn't always win out.

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 04:05:57 AM »
I knew the Bersa was just as good as the Walther
The Walther was greatly improved by S&W         Ahhhhhhh, ok-------
Savage

Offline Bubber

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 06:36:20 AM »
Several years ago a friend was needing some money and sold his Bersa Mod 83 to me. It is a heavy steel framed thing with cheap wood grips that had a generous coating of rust. I cleaned the thing up and after a little cold blue and a lot of oil had the thing shooting respectable groups. I still have the thing and carry it frequently. I have put about 300 rounds through it in the last 3 years with a number of them beign handloads varying between mousefarts and damn hot and never had a jam. It shoots decent and has proved to be reliable, ugly as sin and heavier than a last minute prom date, but reliable.

Offline Coonhound

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 05:36:17 AM »
A few years ago just before a new gun law ( I forget now which of the many restrictions it was) was going into effect here in California, I went shopping for a small concealable handgun.  Local gun shop had the Bersa Thunder .380 on sale for $210 in duotone finish.  I checked it out...good looking little gun but I didn't know anything about the Bersas at the time.  I bought it and took it home but left it in the box for at least 4 years before I ever took it to the range. When I finally did try it out, I was amazed at how accurate it was and how natural it felt in my hand.  It was without a doubt, the sweetest shooting pistol I've ever used.  It handled every flavor of ammo I put through it, some a little more accurate than others but never a feeding or ejection problem.  The only caution I would mention is, if you buy extra mags (it only comes with one) make sure it is an authentic Bersa mag not a ProMag or some other brand because there have been feeding problems with off brand mags.  I have since visited the online forums and talked with other Bersa Owners and haven't found a dissatisfied one yet.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »
Buds Guns in Paris Ky has them for 219.00 I would like to buy one. Can I do that ? Can thy ship it to my local ffl dealer and the dealer transfer it to me ? I bought one of the .22 firestorms and it wouldn"t feed or eject. Sent it to the repair shop they put on a new slide and clip. I never shot it after that . Sold it but now I wish I didn"t. The instructions said use the hot .22 shells like stingers etc. I was using reg ammo ! The new owner won"t sell it back to me. Oh, do .380's have much of a kick ? I've never shot one.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 05:55:17 AM »
It is undetermined what much of a kick is too you.
Yes they kick as much as my stailess P220 in .45 does. This is because of the weight.
Shoot it and get use too the kick. It won't bite.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 06:11:09 AM »
Yep, Country Boy, that's the way it's done. Just have it shipped to your local FFL and you're good to go. You probably did well getting rid of the .22. The cost of Stingers pretty much negates the advantage of shooting low cost .22 ammo. The Bersa and Walthers are blowback operated pistols. Although much of the recoil is absorbed by the weight and distributed over a fairly large portion of the hand, I find the felt recoil to be a little out of proportion to the caliber. That is to say, it's a little sharp. Not bad, just a little more than you would experience in a locked breech pistol. I don't think I've heard any of the Bersa owners say anything bad about them.
Savage

Offline Savage

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 06:21:42 AM »
William,
The PP/PPKs do bite! At least those I've shot. Usually the web of my hand bleeds after about two magazines of hot ammo. In my experience my 8oz Kel tec .380 has less felt recoil than the Walthers. Or at least it is less painfull!
Savage

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »
  We sold quite a few when I worked at a gun store/indoor range. They were popular, because of the price. If the gun was used we let customers try them out first if they wanted. Never had a complaint from a customer, which don't mean a whole lot, but I can't say anything bad about them.

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 05:48:28 AM »
Having said what I said earlier, I just bought another one.  This one is a model 83 which is the older 380 with an all steel frame and wood grip panels.  It showed some holster wear but the barrel and the guts were like new. 
I had two boxes of ammo at home, one box of Win. trucated cone fmj and a box of Rem. hollow points. 
I ran both kinds separately and combined.  I slow fired and ripped them off as fast as I could.  The little pistol, like all Bersa 30's I have owned or shot, it functioned perfectly.  When I slowed down, I shot 3" at 15 yards which is very respectable for that type of pistol.
Once again, I couldn't be more please with my Bersa. ;D
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline shooter57

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 02:02:21 PM »
I've had a Bersa thunder 380 for about a year now and it's very accurate. About 900 rds thru it of 7-8 different brands with not one problem.