Author Topic: What's a good winter coat.  (Read 589 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
What's a good winter coat.
« on: September 13, 2008, 07:22:40 AM »
What kind of winter coat do you have? Need to get one thinking about wool.

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: What's a good winter coat.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:18:23 AM »
    Need a little more info really. Outdoor work activities mean a Carhart for me. I go with a Detroit style if laboring and temp is over 15 to 20 deg. I'll go with a hooded Arctic barn coat as a cold or wind or inactive day is expected. I'll get by real well with a 200 wt polortec and wind barrier down to 15 degrees for daily wear. In a wool coat I would certainly look at Filson. I think Columbia makes a pretty good coat for the money but is not up to Filson quality. I can't find a Columbia in my Sasquatch size so it's Filson for me or nothing. Wool works much better than it looks like it would, it's kinda hard to explain but it breathes and retains heat at the same time. It is heavy compared to synthetics but not that bad.

Depending on where in Mi. you are Goretex might be a real godsend. Mn. winters are a little dryer than what I've encountered in Mi. I am a world class sweater and warm blooded by nature so my priorities lay in moving moisture at the expense of being a little under dressed compared to others.

Wool except for cost is my first choice. Fleece is what I wear most often due mostly to breathability, weight, and it happens to be right warmth in the jackets I own. When I find wool in the right size and weight I'll be wearing it.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:25:20 AM »
Carhart Barn Coat for everything but hunting.  20 year old Woolrich camo for hunting.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:32:56 PM »
Buy a Carhart but buy it big it will shrink. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 01:09:59 PM »
Other than for hunting I pretty much don't wear coats in winter and for the most part don't when hunting as I just use coveralls instead. But then winter in Bama and winter up north are not quite the same.

I generally make it fine with a heavy weight shirt and a vest when I get out in winter here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »
Other than for hunting I pretty much don't wear coats in winter and for the most part don't when hunting as I just use coveralls instead. But then winter in Bama and winter up north are not quite the same.

I generally make it fine with a heavy weight shirt and a vest when I get out in winter here.
Boy I have to say lucky you!!!!!! I lived in Florida for 13 years and the last couple of them were in South Miami and Key Largo. You want to talk about a rude awakening when I moved back north. It was one of the coldest winters ever recorded in Pa history. We had a week there that was well below zero. There was one day the high was -20 without wind chill. This is when I first met my now wife. I lived in a little 50 foot trailer and all I had for heat was a Kerosene heater and 2 electric heaters. I had them running wide open and could still see my breath. I really thought I was going to freeze that winter. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline gdolby

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
good day to all. I 2nd the caarhart votes. if you are real cold natured go with their arctic zone line. But be ready to sweat

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »
During my working life I had to carry a lot of clothes in the truck in the winter. One day it might get to 60 degrees and the next you would be lucky to see 20 degrees and the wind blowing hard. I mainly wore Carhartt and Dickies insulated coveralls and also hooded jackets and overalls cause they are tough. Carhartt is tougher than Dickies. I didn't wear them out. I burned the sleeves and legs up from weld spatter.

The coldest I've ever seen here was -10 degrees one morning but the wind switched to the south and it hit 50 that afternoon. I've also seen it stay below freezing for two or three weeks at a time. The big temp swings never let you get used to the weather.

Offline thumbcocker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 03:31:34 PM »
Carhatt is a good choice. I have two wool coats also. A filson double mac cruiser and a johnson. The filson is awesome.

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »
In Wool, Woolrich is what I usually go for.  Wool can get wet and still keep you warm.  Wool outerwear isn't waterproof like Goretex is.

My opinion is a Goretex outer Windbreaker with Wool and Fleece Shirts  underneath.  Layering is the key.  And if your feet get cold, YOU'RE COLD !  No matter what else you have on.

Snowmobile Boots or any Boot with Felt Liners work good in Pa winters for Hunting, along with those big Slip-Over Insulated Boots, and 3 pairs of socks (1 pair each- Synthetic, Cotton, Wool) .

For work, Carhartt is good, but pricey.  The Wrangler Denim Half-Length with the Horse-Blanket Felt Liner is good for inside unheated buildings.

If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 04:59:48 PM »
In Wool, Woolrich is what I usually go for.  Wool can get wet and still keep you warm.  Wool outerwear isn't waterproof like Goretex is.

My opinion is a Goretex outer Windbreaker with Wool and Fleece Shirts  underneath.  Layering is the key.  And if your feet get cold, YOU'RE COLD !  No matter what else you have on.

Snowmobile Boots or any Boot with Felt Liners work good in Pa winters for Hunting, along with those big Slip-Over Insulated Boots, and 3 pairs of socks (1 pair each- Synthetic, Cotton, Wool) .

For work, Carhartt is good, but pricey.  The Wrangler Denim Half-Length with the Horse-Blanket Felt Liner is good for inside unheated buildings.

I have to agree there for sure. When my feet get cold I am cold and done. I wear boots with Thinsulate along with thick insulated socks. For the most part my feet keep warm that way unless the water finaly soaks through. Dale

Offline Questor

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
It really depends on what kind of weather you will encounter. I live in Minnesota and I own and use about 10 different coats. Wool is good because it insulates when it's wet. It breathes, which means you don't sweat as much if your working outdoors (synthetics typically don't breathe well. I usually wear natural fibers if I'm exerting myself outdoors in winter.) Wool picks up stickers and other plant seeds like crazy. Do not use wool when hunting unless you like to spend an hour plucking seeds out of a coat.

My best all around is a synthetic coat with relatively thin insulation. In itself it's good for temps down to about 25F. It's a bit oversize so I can wear a sweater under it for colder weather.

A leather jacket is my most versatile dress coat.

Parka designs with big pockets are best for hunting.

Don't get a big heavily insulated parka unless the temps are below zero or unless you are sitting in a tree stand or doing some other sendentary activity outdoors.

Best advice I can give is to shop with 90% of your usage in mind and buy accordingly.

By the way, I'm not what you'd call a clothes horse. I really do own that many coats and use them all because they are each a practical garment. For example, I've got warm weather rain gear and cool weather rain gear.

One really practical coat I have is a ranch coat made of stiff canvas. Breathes well, but stops wind. It's a great hunting coat. Very resistant to seeds and stickers.
Safety first

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 10:50:05 AM »
Check out the Cabela's quad parker , you get a coat , a jacket and can put them togather .
mine can be reversed so its camo or brown . I have a woolrich that leaks , they replace it when it leaks but the Cabelas brand is 7 years old and never leaks . the wool... is 5 years since replacement and leaked last year and its only camo.
Carhatt is my second choice and I have them for days where rain,snow or ice are not an issue .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !