Author Topic: Winchester 100  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Winchester 100
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:32:32 AM »
After taking off the stock how  you get to the gas chamber to clean it ? Also how can you tell if the firing pin recall was done ?  I've got my eye on a good one and am bidding on it. What would your top end bid on a really nice one ? This one has hand cut checkering, a Bushnell scopechief and few if any outside flaws I can detect from the pictures.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Winchester 100
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 03:02:01 AM »
[how  you get to the gas chamber to clean it ?] - There's a circular spring clip, with ears on both sides, around the gas cyl that needs to be removed with a screwdriver tip to disassemble the gas system, etc.

[how can you tell if the firing pin recall was done ?] - IIRC, the action was marked/stamped - but I can't recall how/where.

[ This one has hand cut checkering, a Bushnell scopechief] - The hand checkering makes it a pre-64, but the Scopechief is a little dated/blocky looking - although if it has the Command Post, it's a nice hunting feature.

[ What would your top end bid on a really nice one ?] - $600 for the pre-64 M-100, +/-  $25 for the scope.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:46:17 AM »
Thanks Ranger 44, you always help me and it is much appreciated. God Bless,Carl

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »
You're entirely welcome, Carl.

Sometimes I can't even believe it myself, when I sit down and try to list all the different various guns I've owned & taken apart since the early 1960's.

There weren't many "how-to" books around, back then - so it was a sorta "on the job training", although guns have aways been just a hobby for me.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »
Is there a number I could call to check on the firing pin ? The rifle is up for auction on Gunbroker but I don"t remember exactly where, Take a look, it has that Bushnell scope chief vI on it in see through mounts, a light colored stock. Serial No. 27682. I would sure like to get some opinions from you guys especially about the front stud.

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:15:04 PM »
If the Model 100 I looked at on GB is the same one, either the stock is a replacement or the original has been rasped down & recheckered, as the checkering pattern is not the standard Winchester pre-64 pattern used on those rifles.

The front swivel, used to take down the rifle by removing, IIRC, has been converted from a standard to a QD or replaced by a QD, along with the rear.

Winchester contracted a gunshop in upper New York State to handle the firing pin upgrades, during the recall.

Here's the Winchester blurb:

The model 100 recall was issued as notice 7-1990 by Winchester.

In short, it advised that the firing pin may break  due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face. If this occurs, the firearm may fire before the action is locked causing damage to the firearm and injury to the shooter and/or bystanders.

A new firing pin was designed to replace the original pin.  Winchester advised against use of the firearm until a replacement pin could be installed.  Winchester advised to send the gun to a authorized service center for the pin replacement.

You can obtain additional info from Winchester at 1-800-852-5734. This is a dedicated line/number for owners of the Winchester 100 concerning the firing pin recall.

The old firing pin was lathe turned - round.  The new style is similar on the front and back but in the front midsection it has two flats milled, one on each side making the center section much stronger.

Upon completion of the recall/repair, the shop doing the work was to have test fired the gun and to then stamp an assigned letter on the inside top of the receiver as seen through the magazine well with the bolt retracted.

These letters were assigned to various repair centers and although not important as the shop ID, it is important in helping you determine if the repair was made.  The letters that were stamped inside on the top inside of the receiver were:
"B", "L", "N", or "X".

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 08:20:40 AM »
Ranger: you are just a wealth of information. I will check it out via phone and if I win the auction check the reciever.
    You looked at the right rifle, the checkering was the hook that got me. I use to hunt with one of these in the 70"s It just seemed to fit and come up fast for me. Wanted to try it again. One time I took 5 deer running through the timber with mine. If I wasn"t so honest I wouldn"t believe it myself ! God Bless, Carl

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 06:07:27 AM »
Great guns.......I have owned several Remington autos and pumps, non compare with the Model 100s.  I parted with my .243 and .308 many years ago prior to being shipped to a military location where I couldn't have guns.  I never replaced them, but still think about the old .308 and all the game taken with them.  If the price is reasonable, buy it!

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »
I bought it for 421.oo should be here this week. Ranger, you looked at it, what was it you said about the checkering ?

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »
I bought it and it is beautiful. It is very accurate, mofre than anyone could expect from a semi BUT, it will not eject the shells, 3 gunsmiths later and the problem still isn"t solved. I'm waiting to hear from a fourth. It is one of the best shooting single shot semi that I've ever owned. If I can"t get it to work what can I do ? I won"t sell a gun that doesn"t work to anyone.

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 02:08:42 PM »
If the action can be cycled by hand, but not via firing, it's most likely that the gas operating system is inoperative.

Field strip the rifle by withdrawing the bolt & rotating the barreled action up & back, out of the stock after the mag and the bottom screw is removed. It will unhook from the rear plate.

Operate the action via pumping the action rod (under the barrel) manually.

If it feeds and ejects OK, then the problem is in the gas system.

Take it apart and clean/scrub out the gas system - including running a nipple pick through the gas port between the barrel and the gas cylinder. (see my first response, above)

Remove the half-circle clip, around the gas cylinder, and take it apart for a thorough scrubbing - it's probably loaded with junk and not allowing the action to function properly.

If the manual operation doesn't produce normal feeding/ejection, I would look at the extractor if the shell wasn't removed from the chamber, or the ejector (in the boltface) and it's spring, if the shaeel was extracted but not ejected from the receiver.
The spring may have given up the ghost or the EJ may be simply jammed back (inoperative).

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 07:51:32 AM »
Thank you Ranger, I will try all that but the other smiths said they cleaned the gas cylinder, and polished the chamber. You can shoot it and it will throw one out once in a while but not after one or two shots. I can pull the bolt back and extract a fired shell. The 4th smith said the chamber was scored, you could see it on the cases. If it is scored too much then there is no hope. But he is going to run a finish reamer in it to find out. The third smith said the chamber was coroded and polished it, but the cases were not scored before that.  Deer season is only a month away and I wanted to use it. But, I may have  to get out old reliable my Bar carbine, it shoots better than most bolt guns and never has given me any kind of problem but it is heavy and I'm old and weak. I've taken about a 100 deer with the BAR. and federal 150 power shoks.
  I will keep yopu posted on the 100 when I hear from the Smith. God
Bless and thank you for alll the help on many topics. Carl

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 12:24:40 PM »
I tried all your suggestions and nothing worked so I sold the darn thing and bought another. It will shuck the shells quick as you pull the trigger. Needs a little cosmetic work. I havent tried it for accuracy but can hit gallon milk jugs with it at 250 yds.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 03:05:01 AM »
I have a question about the trigger on the 100. On my .308 when you start to pull the trigger there is a very small "click" which can also be felt through the trigger, then after that, when it is pulled any farther is when it fires. It's like it has two stages. Is this typical on the 100s?

So, basically what I'm doing to deal with this when I'm shooting is to...
1. Line up the sights.
2. Draw the trigger up till I hear/feel the click.(minimal movement on trigger)
3. Get finalized on the sights, and finish squeezing the trigger.

I'd like to get the trigger improved if it's possible. Is it?
Many thanks.

What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »
I'm not sure about the trigger. I put a trigger shoe on mine and it seems to feel better but I've done nothing to the trigger. Nu-line guns are the foremost experts on the model 100 and 88.  1-573-676-5500 Give them a call.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 01:50:17 AM »
Thanks so much CB. I've been curious to try a trigger shoe.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.