Author Topic: broke my pardner sb1  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Grunge Bag

• Trade Count: (0)
broke my pardner sb1
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »
this old pardner sb1 12ga was my first gun . anyway i took it out shooting yesterday , got about 4 shells thru it , and then bam , front grip comes off in my hand . broke the lug right off the barrel . is there anything i can do to fix it ? i paid $75 for it years ago , that being the case the gun is virtually worthless so i really don't want to spend any money on it if i don't have to because just about anything i buy for it will cost more than the whole gun did in the first place . but it would be nice to have it in one piece again . is there anything i can do to fix it myself ? i called nef but they wanted me to ship them my gun and they had no idea what it would cost . i found barrels for sale online but they're $90 with again is more than the gun so thats not going to happen . is it fixable or should i glue the dumb thing together and mount it to the wall as a decoration ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: broke my pardner sb1
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:53:07 PM »
Welcome to GBO!! I just repositioned a forend stud on a barrel cuz it wasn't on straight. I used a dremel sanding drum to rough the metal up on the barrel and the stud, then used epoxy to fasten it back on. The factory resistance welds it on which isn't very stout. I think epoxy like JB Weld or Super Weld would work at least as good if not better than the factory "weld". So far mine is holding fine, I figured if tightening the screw didn't pop it off, it would hold. You could also silver solder it on, the old H&R silver soldered the underlugs on the barrels!!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Grunge Bag

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 02:07:03 PM »
well i have a flux core welder , i was thinking about using that but i didn't want to weaken the barrel and have it blow apart in my hand .

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »
I've used low temp silver solder paste with good sucess.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Grunge Bag

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 02:22:55 PM »
i might know someone that could braze it on for me , would brazing be a good idea ? i once saw a jeep door that had busted hinges , it was brazed to the jeep and seemed to hold pretty good .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »
Brazing wouldn't be my first choice, I'd do the solder or epoxy before I took that step, it's likely to warp the barrel as well as require refinishing, probably wouldn't hurt how it shot tho if you don't care what it looks like.

Tim

Offline Grunge Bag

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
i don't know anything about silver solder , what all is involved in that repair ? and do you recommend a specific type of epoxy ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:10:01 PM »
I did recommend a couple choices of epoxy, JB Weld or Super Weld.  ;) Metal prep is easy, just give is something besides a smooth surface to adhere to, 60 or 80 grit sanding will work fine, then degrease, mix the epoxy according to the instructions and apply it, I like to rub it into both surfaces with a popsicle stick, then mate the two together and let it cure as instructed.

Tim

http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/_tds/sw_tds.pdf

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »
"i don't know anything about silver solder , what all is involved in that repair ?"

This is the stuff I used to reattach a barrel lug on my Brown Bess musket.

http://www.solder-it.com/solderpaste.asp
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 05:13:12 PM »
If that barrel is packed inside with wet rags and around the exterior as well, a mig welder won't hurt a thing. Any braze or solder job requires a lot of heat over a period of time to get the bond. Not advisable on a finished barrel. Better yet submerge the barrel in water with a modeling clay dam around the weld area to keep it dry. Three or four tackwelds will generate little heat to worry about. You aren't welding a dumptruck body.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline Grunge Bag

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:15:33 PM »
thats a great idea , i think i'll try that (mainly because i'm broke and i already have a welder  ;D )

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 08:45:39 AM »
For that plumbers solder would probably hold just fine.... It melts at around 400 degrees....

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 02:37:56 AM »
I built a recumbent bicyce last year and every joint I brazed,and i'd never held a torch before! I weigh around 245, and now have over 400 miles on this frame with no joint failures. what I noted was the paint was not damaged an inch on either side of the brazed joints.I wouldn't hesitate to braze that lug in place,but i'd still err on the side of caution and wrap some wet cloth on either side just in case...
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline preventec47

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »
Pack the barrel with ice chips compacted in real well and weld that
sucker.  If the barrel ever feels even slightly warm to the touch
close to the weld joint,  then change out the ice.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
About 10 seconds with a TIG welder will fix that.

Take it to a reputable welding shop and have them fix it.
The heat from TIG welding is very finely focused.
2 tacks with a TIG wont even get the barrel hot.

Spanky

Offline hubel458

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.gunownerstv.com
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »
The factory puts pivots on now with welding, so just wrap it in cold wet
towels, and a couple tacks it will be done and safe.Use airgun to cool
after each tack.Ed