Author Topic: Scoping a Tracker II 12ga  (Read 704 times)

Offline predator_huntin

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.chrisdknight.com
Scoping a Tracker II 12ga
« on: September 15, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »
Hey guys,

i got a real sweet deal on a Tracker II 12ga this weekend at the local gunshow.  i want to deer hunt with it this fall, but i hate the iron sights that are on it.  is there anyone out there that can tap it for a scope base for me?  does anyone out there have a Tracker II with a scope on it?  i dont really want to do a JB Weld job on it, i'm afraid it would let loose right when i have the buck of a lifetime in the crosshairs. 

let me know your thoughts...i was actually looking for an Ultra Slug Hunter in 20ga for this (and i still am) but this was such a great deal i couldnt pass it up. 

thanks!

Offline RugerNo3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Scoping a Tracker II 12ga
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:00:52 PM »
No known gunsmith has yet to tap a 12ga Tracker. The

chamber walls are too thin. Alternatives will have to be considered if you want to scope it.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline predator_huntin

• Classified -- Banned
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »
Alternatives will have to be considered if you want to scope it.

ok, thanks for the reply.  what alternatives are there available?

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:56:48 AM »
I just got a rifled 20 gauge barrel from the factory. You are right the sights are lousy. Mine has an adjustable ramp thing, but no notch or V at the top.

Anyway I was going to scope it. I understand the 20 gauge walls are plenty thick enough.

In any case I admire your courage taking that 12 guage slug recoil. Have you considered ordering a 20 guage barrel?

Offline predator_huntin

• Classified -- Banned
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 02:59:55 AM »
I just got a rifled 20 gauge barrel from the factory. You are right the sights are lousy. Mine has an adjustable ramp thing, but no notch or V at the top.

Anyway I was going to scope it. I understand the 20 gauge walls are plenty thick enough.

In any case I admire your courage taking that 12 guage slug recoil. Have you considered ordering a 20 guage barrel?

i just bought an Ultra Slug Hunter barrel from a member on here in 20ga, cant wait to get it and shoot it.  i will definately scope it...i was just thinking about putting a Bushnell Holosight on this Tracker II since the factory sights are terrible. 

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 05:48:15 PM »
Predator,

Besides the 12 gauge recoil beating me, it also beats the gun. Shooting a steady diet of 12 guage slugs would trash the gun in no time, IMO. I just dont believe Pardners could hold up to that kind of pounding.

Maybe some here would disagree.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 02:37:04 AM »
Shoot all the slugs you want out of a Pardner, it won't hurt it a bit.

I can't say the same for your shoulder though!!! ;D

I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on my 12 gauge and it really helps.
I highly recommend it if you plan on shooting slugs.

Spanky

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 03:11:20 AM »
Spanky,

I looked into a limbsaver. But it would cost $80 for pad and installation. I figured it was not worth it for a gun I paid $125 for.

Getting back to scoping, I would like to have it drilled and tapped so that the holes fit both a ghost ring sight as well as a scope mount. Do you all think ghost ring holes would line up with standard scope mount holes?

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 04:21:48 AM »
Kernman,

I got one of the slip on pads from Wally World for 20 bucks.
It's not fancy but it works great and it's cheap. ;)
Give it a try.

Spanky

Offline predator_huntin

• Classified -- Banned
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 05:03:14 AM »
i have shot a bunch of slugs through Tracker I i used to have, and also through a legal sawed-off Pardner.  there is no fear if hurting the gun.  recoil doesnt bother me much honestly and i like the slugs.  but i used to plink 220gr '06's through a Handi-rifle just for fun.  i'm a big guy and soak up the recoil well...i'd just like to find a scope mount that will do the same.  but its a kinda moot point now, i may just JB Weld a Williams WGRS on this Tracker II since i have an USH20 coming to scope...

on the Limbsavers, there is no way it would cost $80.  like Spanky said, slip ons are $20, and the "grind to fit" models are only $30.  i have fitted a few of the grind to fits, its not that hard and well worth it if recoil does bother you.