Author Topic: Desert eagle 44 mag  (Read 774 times)

Offline mattt

• Trade Count: (0)
Desert eagle 44 mag
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:45 PM »
Does anyone own one of these?  I am thinking of getting one and would like input . thanks

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Desert eagle 44 mag
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:27:34 AM »
I owned one once, I sold it because I did not use it much and was not able to use it for hunting in my State. I regret selling it though. It was a very good shooting gun.
Last year I replaced it with a LAR Grizzly in 45 Win Mag. I could not pass on the deal I got on it.

If you know anyone with one, I would suggest you go shoot one, they are large and for some people the grip is just to big. 
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:29:40 AM »
I used to have a 44 Rem. Mag. barrel for my Desert Eagle but I couldn't see that I needed 3 or 4 44 Mags. so I sold that barrel.

As Redhawk1 noted, they are big and heavy for a handgun but then, you've probably handled one and lusted over it in a gun shop.  Because it's gas operated and fairly heavy, the recoil is very light.  I found mine plenty accurate for hunting up to 50 yards.  Beyond 50 yards, the groups opened up to the fairly useless range.  The Desert Eagle is also very sensitive to limp wristing.  When you shoot it, you try to keep your arm/wrist stiff and straight otherwise the action will not cycle fully and the gun will jam.  Also, light bullets/light loads won't cycle the action.

To summarize, the Desert Eagle is a "movie gun" you've probably seen on TV.  It would not be the thing to use for concealed carry and wouldn't be ideal for self defense.  I think there are better choices for hunting.  All that said, I like mine even though it's admittedly not practical.  In my opinion, the Desert Eagle platform begs for a 50AE barrel (now that will grow hair on your chest).

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:16 AM »
I enjoy shooting mine but watch the brass. I was sitting and a hot case flew over my head and went right down the crack of my butt.  I can laugh now but it hurt then and you should have seen me trying to get it out while still holding a loaded, cocked gun downrange. ;D
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:54:30 AM »
I have the similar sad story.  I owned one and loved it but I had to sell it.  I bought mine "just because" and I took it hunting and to the range.  I would say it's one of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired.  That gun would make anyone that could hold it look like a great shot.  It's expensive, big and heavy and it's made for guys who can hold a big heavy gun that have big hands.  The nice thing about it being so heavy is that it doesn't kick as hard as a revolver would.  I wish I didn't have to sell the one I had, but at the time it was what I had to do.  All things considered it's one heck of a handgun!

Offline nilescoyote

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:11:37 PM »
I've owned two. But not at the same time... The main reason for the first was I thought they looked cool. That was my first handgun to. Traded it even up for a HK USP when they fist came out.
Second desert eagle was purchased a few years later when I decided I wanted to try handgun hunting. While my addiction grew I became Very aware that the handgun was not the best choice for me to hunt with. Mainly due to its weight (I had a scope on it that made matters worse) and heavy trigger pull. I just recently sold it to help fund my hunting trip out to Montana this fall.

Despite the guns weight and heavy trigger pull I found both to be very accurate. They both could shoot 100 yard groups that would rival most hunting rifles when scoped and shot off a proper rest.
You must have large hands to feel in control with a desert eagle though, as the grip handle is very large.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:54:22 AM »
buddy had one in 50ae. It was extreamly accuate and would shoot about any load well. It was reliable if you watched you didnt limp wrist it. With the big grips it took a big hand to grasp it firmly.
blue lives matter

Offline LarryL

• Avid Poster
  • 2004 - 480 SRH
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 02:50:32 AM »
I owned a .44 Desert Eagle in polished blue.  I had a problem with it, and had to send it back twice to get it resolved.  It tended to jam at least once on every clip.  When it wasn't jamming, the ejection tended to be rather violent, either parting my hair or hitting me in the forehead with empties.  Magnum Research also recommended the Aimpoint sights, and I bought one along with the gun.  The rear lens glass shattered on about the 3rd clip.  I sent the gun to Magnum Research and the Aimpoint back to Aimpoint.  Aimpoint apologized and replaced the sight.  Magnum Research sent back the gun saying they had swapped out some springs, but did not find any problems.  I took it to the range and had the same problems again.  I've fired lots of much harder kicking guns, so it definitely was not a limp wrist situation.  I put the Aimpoint back on, and the rear sight glass shattered in the middle of the first clip.  I again sent both the gun and the sight back to their respective manufacturers.  Aimpoint again replaced the sight, no questions asked!!  This time, Magnum Research tried a little harder to diagnose the problem. Their letter indicated the slide velocity was too high.  That was causing the broken Aimpoints, and was also causing the jams.  They machined a few thousanths off gas piston and fired several clips without trouble.  This time when I got it back, it worked fine.  I didn't have jams with it after that, but I never dared to put the Aimpoint back on it.  Eventually I sold it and went in another direction.

Barring the issue with jams that took two trips back to M.R. to correct, the gun was built like a tank and was extremely accurate to shoot.  If you want a flashy gun to impress your friends, and want to be able to shoot .44s accurate and fast, this is the gun for you.  If you want to lug it on your hip hunting all day long, it gets very heavy!  The grip is like a brick in your hand, and the two stage military trigger pull is a bit odd until you get used to it.  I guess it was a phase for me.  I'm glad I owned it, but I also don't miss it.
Success is a journey, not a destination...  Might as well enjoy the ride!! 

Just remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.  You can rely on 911 or on 1911. The choice is yours.

Larry