Author Topic: sighting a handgun scope  (Read 389 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
sighting a handgun scope
« on: September 18, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »
What is the best way to sight in a handgun scope?

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Re: sighting a handgun scope
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:20:52 PM »
I usually  bore sight, if you can, not workable for revolvers & autos. Then I shoot at a big peice of cardboard with a target dot in the middle. I check where the bullet hits, then clamp the gun in a shooting vise, take off the turret caps, clamp the gun and adjust to the original point of aim. Then I move the crosshair to the bullet hit. This is tough to do without moving the gun, but do the best you can. Once the crosshair is where you want it, tap the turrets lightly with something nonmarring, I use a loaded 12 ga. shell and tap with the crimp end. Then I set the gun up and shoot another, this will usually get you in the ballpark and you can make the final adjustments with the turrets.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:16:22 AM »
You figure that a double action is going to push straight back while the single action will roll in your hand. Both are going to have an elevated barrel on the recoil of course.
For these reasons I would let the handgun do its own thing just like you would when shooting off hand.
For sighting in (iron or scope) I like to let my wrist only rest on the sandbags as it will not affect the natural movements of the gun as said above.

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »
As mentioned on before, rest your wrist on a sandbag or I used a piece of new carpet rolled to make a tube. I used duct tape (is there anything else?) to keep it rolled. If you use a rest that supports the barrel and bottom of the grip frame you usually get a different zero than when when you normally shoot it. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein