Author Topic: muzzleloader  (Read 1408 times)

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
muzzleloader
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:21:24 AM »
anyone got opinions on encores good or bad. What frontstuffer do you shoot? This is my favorite season and want some input on what everyone shoots and trying to keep the okie forum active so let's hear it.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline redbonet

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:31:26 AM »
I have two Encore Mzzleloader  an I have Tryed alot of them . I wish I bought an Encore First .
When you buy one Buy the Stanless one . Less work Cleaning .

Terry

Offline Cecil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
My wife and I both use Knight muzzle loaders.
Cecil

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »
Save your money and buy a NEF. 

I enjoy mine and with the limited muzzleloader season it was hard for me to justify paying more for a high dollar one.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »
I have got a dirt cheap traditions brand wal-mart special and have had good luck with it.  Open sites it will get 3-4 in 100yd groups.  I do like the Encore a lot and am looking at getting one but at this time plan to stay with the centerfire stuff.  But then my gunlist of wants is so long I will never have even a tenth of them. 
I also like the looks of the KP1 Knight makes. 
I am with specklebelly in my thinking for a muzzleloader to keep it cheap, but if it were my favorite season I would spend what I wanted and get what I wanted.  Besides you can always carry it through rifle season too.  My first season I carried dads 30-30, that Christmas they got me a muzzleloader and I carried it the next several until I could afford a centerfire.

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
I agree with spek get an nef i have 2 one for me & one for my son 2 in at 100 or better. GOOD FOR WHAT THEY ARE, also have a 54 lyman rb gun that was QLAd & had a bad dove tail front fire sight put on & it does 3 in or so at 100 good enough
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 04:45:02 PM »
I got a Knight In line for my wedding present from my buddies, back in 96. It has been a great gun. Some time ago I upgraded it to a 209 primer shooter and it got better.
I recently picked up an NEF for my son. Although it has never been shot I hear great things about them.

Brian
IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
how come God made 'em outta meat?

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:02:50 AM »
traded for an encore 25-06 heavy barrel at a gunshow this weekend. First encore I have had and this thing seems to shoot pretty sweet so far. 4 shots to sight in 1 high at 100 and hit about 1.5 low at 200. Have not shot much so it may have been luck to hit the target at 200. Anyway I guess now I have to buy a 209x50 barrel for it.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Rog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 11:45:58 AM »
I've had several Encore 209x50 ML's and I think they are one of the best ML's made.  They do cost some $$$ but I still like them.  I've had two rifles and one handgun 209x50.

I also like the T/C Omega.  My son now has that one and it is a good one too.

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 07:44:09 AM »
barrel and forend would be at or over 300 and I found a slightly used one for 400. ;) Should have my second encore here by the end of next week. Only time will tell if it was a good deal or not and muzzleloading is my favorite season as it seems to hit the rut better than rifle and I don't have time to bowhunt enough.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »
You just can't go wrong with an Encore, I shoot an Encore 209X50 Stainless and this rifle will shoot clover leaf groups @ 100 yards all day long and will also shoot groops of about 2" at 200 yards. I shoot 3 Pyrodex pellets under a Mag express sabot and a 240 grain Hornday 44 cal XTP handgun bullet.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline tlyne

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 03:27:34 AM »
I don't have a muzzle loaders  but have a friend that shoots the 20" Encore Katahhdin. We shot togetheir last week. Van shot a two shot group at 200 yards that measured 1/2". I could not belived it. Yes, those deer don't care how much you pay for your muzzle loaders or where your group is 3" or 1/2" but that is a great barrel.
I didn't ask him why he didn't shoot a five shot group. I know,I  would not shot a five shot group after looking at the 1/2" group at 200 yards.
Twyman

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 06:28:23 AM »
I have two Thompson Center muzzleloaders, an old FireHawk inline 50 cal. which is a real tackdriver shooting 100 grs. of triple F blackpowder. I also shoot a TC Renegade 54 cal. another fine shooter using 400 grain Minie Balls and 90 grs of Triple F. I also have an old Traditions Buckhunter in 54 cal that was both cheap and accurate set up to use musket caps and the Minie Balls. I put a peep sight on it and though it is ugly it is a good gun.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 03:22:06 AM »
Should have encore here before the end of the week. Will let you know how sorry it shoots ;D ;D as soon as I get a chance to try it out
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline TDH

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 07:48:49 AM »
I just purchased the New Knight KP 1 whitetail comb. Shoots great new recoil pad makes it nice. Very accurate even with cheap Wally world bullets, and some old FFg bp. Just got some of the Barnes 290g Polymer Tip Boat Tails in and some 245g Spitzer bthp. I am egerly awaiting the chance to try these loads with Triple 7 or Pyrodex. I have a older Model 93 in-line its a tack driver. Love those Knights.