Author Topic: AMT Lightning .22  (Read 14542 times)

Offline barber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
AMT Lightning .22
« on: September 20, 2008, 06:33:04 AM »
My son gave me a .22 semi-auto, it has AMT  Lightning, .22 Long Rifle,  Covina, CA   on the side. Does anyone know who makes this, and where I might get a manual, so I can take it  apart for cleaning?  It jams after a shot or two, is the reason he gave it to me.
barber

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: AMT Lightning .22
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:07:23 AM »

Offline barber

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 07:12:03 AM »
Thanks Moxgrove, I tried and tried a lot of times, but I couldn't get anything to come up on that site. 
barber

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:04:25 AM »
is your gun a pistol because the only lightning i saw on that link was a rifle. maybe you should ask your question over at rimfirecentral.com they have alot of good information. superdown

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 12:45:39 PM »
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline NE Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 01:15:22 PM »
The AMT Lightning is made by AMT ( I believe they are out of business all together now) at the time the lightning was popular but they were forced to stop production as they infringed on the Ruger mk11 design.  I've never seen how close they were made but I think you can use the Ruger instructions to take your gun appart and reassemble it. 

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
that sure does look like a ruger :o

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »
The AMT is a virtual copy of the Ruger. Perhaps a poor one at that. They have a reputation for being problematic.
Savage

Offline barber

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 05:49:35 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I didn't get the good buy I thought I did.
barber

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:50:45 AM »
there a good gun. Ive never heard a bad thing about there .22s. Now there 1911s thats another story.
blue lives matter

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 05:02:05 AM »
I once had and wish I still had an AMT Lightning .22 with 8" tapered barrel and with a 2 1/2 power scope it was by far the most accurate semi auto I've ever fired. I don't recall ever having any problems with it at all, just got stupid and sold it because I was broke. I presently have the AMT Automag ll in .22 WMR and it also is a tack driver and quite reliable, though it could use a better trigger. I suspect your issue with jams could be cured with a new magazine, that is the culpret in about 90% of all rimfire auto problems. I don't know if Ruger magazines will fit but it might be worth a try.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline barber

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 05:01:15 AM »
The little "slide"  on the chamber that the bullet slides on going into the chamber, seems to be partially broken, and off center, so I think that is what causes it to jam.
barber

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »
Wow! Tough break! Can't imagine how the feed ramp could have broken. Perhaps it's just an odd shape. Don't know of a fix, other than a new upper. I wouldn't be too surprised if a Ruger upper wouldn't fit. Perhaps you know someone who has a Ruger and a curious mind? Wouldn't be too cost effective to buy a Ruger upper, but unless you can find a source of parts for your AMT, can't think of any other options.
Savage

Offline fatoldfool

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
It seems to me a competent gunsmith could weld it up and re-shape it.
Will Rogers said, " If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they go."

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 03:15:37 PM »
It seems to me a competent gunsmith could weld it up and re-shape it.

OR-------you could take the money the smith would charge and buy a new Ruger, and most likely have enough change to buy a few bricks of ammo!

Savage

Offline TRWalker

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »
Go to the Numrich Arms gun Parts site.  Click on the letter A. Click on AMT, then on Lightning Pistol. Look at parts 35 and 36. Part 35 might not be clearly shown but together they are a spring and  a firing pin support that goes against(under) the firing pin and making it retract after firing. If it is missing, the firing pin will stay out (protruding) after some shots causing a jam. Sometimes the firing pin doesn't stay out on its own and the pistol will work fine. The spring and firing pin support insures that it retracts after every shot.  Sometimes these parts fall out when the pistol is disassembled for cleaning.  I bet that is the problem and it can be easily corrected. Order a couple of each part as they are easy to lose.

I don't think the bolt guide pin  has anything wrong with it, it does appear odd looking but that is normal.

Ruger uses a similar pin and spring arrangement on their auto pistols but it is slightly different from the parts on an AMT so be sure to order only AMT parts.

Offline sfguy

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 03:22:43 AM »
I have an AMT Lightning with 6-1/2 barrel and it's a pleasure to shoot. Go to Numrich Gun Parts. They have all of the parts, diagrams etc. 

Offline sfguy

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 03:47:50 AM »
The AMT Lightning was made by Arcadia Machine & Tool located in California. They are no longer in business due to being sued by Ruger. Many of their pistols were identical to Ruger. For parts and diagrams for the Lightning, go to Numrich Gun Parts. The parts are cheap. Overall it's an excellent pistol for plinking. Mine was in storage for 20 years. I found a quality gunsmith who totally disassembled it and replaced some of the parts. It's a better pistol than the Sig Mosquito I just purchased.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »
I have had my 10" bull barrelled Lightning for over 20 years and it has performed perfectly as long as it is kept clean and lightly lubed.  I shot many 39/40 and 40/40 scores in IHMSA silhouette with it - when my eyes could still see - so it has the accuracy. 

Today I have a red dot sight mounted on the auto and use it for target practice and small game.  Very accurate and reliable...it is definately worth the small cost in parts to fix it. 

I have to laugh out loud (LOL) when I read ill-informed comments about them being bad copies of Rugers.   In two years I've had my Ruger MkII back to Ruger twice for "repair", the AMT never needed to leave my possession.   ::)

Offline sfguy

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »
Go to Gunshots.net. I was able to download an owner's manual for the AMT 22 free of charge.

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »
they are quite a bit like Rugers I have a AMT 10 1/2" barrel and receiver on my Ruger lower and it fits perfect and is the most accurate pistol I have. many of tree rats have fallen from it. :)
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline sfguy

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 01:08:24 AM »
I've had an AMT Lightning .22 that I purchased used in 1986 with the 6-1/2" barrel. It's great for plinking and is a better pistol than the Sig Sauer Mosquito. They have increased in value. Go Gunbrokers.com to see what that are selling for.