Author Topic: A find in a workshop  (Read 864 times)

Offline Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
A find in a workshop
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »
Hi guys

The Australian War Memorial in Canberra Australia (www.awm.gov.au) is one of the worlds best. They let people once a year do a visit to the workshops :) I went to the last one. I found a cannon. No one there could tell me anything about it as it hasnt been looked into (far down the list). Any ideas? I have more pics in larger format if interested.

Im still working on the mary rose cannon as well .... not happy with the wood work yet ... have to start again I think
There is a large painted orange cannon in the pics as well have more of them too.
Owen.
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline Artilleryman

Re: A find in a workshop
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:20:22 PM »
It appears to be a six pounder.  What is hanging under the breech?
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:48:22 PM »
What's marked on the right trunnion, I can see marks but can't read them.  They should tell a lot.  What's length, bore diameter?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:08:49 PM »
Look at those hard nocks the breach has been exposed to in the lower pics.

What a find !
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline shooter2

• Avid Poster
  • To err is Human, to ARR is Pirate.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:38:01 AM »
Owen,
        I am extremely jealous, I have never had the opportunity to visit the workshops.  Any info on who to contact and when to get this access?  PM me if you like.  I am based near Brisbane but visit Canberra fairly regularly, I always have a look in the War Memorial. 

As to the gun, the cipher on top will tell us a lot, not very clear in the above photos.  I agree on the size being about that of a six pounder.  It appears by the marks and damage it must have been a display gun somewhere indoors.  Not enough damage and the barrel isn't blocked so that rules out a public park.  I have several reference books on Australian Coastal Defence guns, more details and I reckon I could lock down its identity.

Shooter2
We are the Guns and your masters!
Saw ye our flashes?
Heard ye the scream of our shells in the night, and the shuddering crashes?

'The Voice of the Guns'
Captain Gilbert Frankau Royal Artillery 1916

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 01:55:15 AM »
I agree on the size being about that of a six pounder.

Sorry but where are you guys getting the size reference from?  There's nothing I recognize in the photos, close enough to it, to get any size reference from.

How can you tell it isn't a 3-pounder?

The tube looks like it is mounted for display purposes on some form of 1880's rapid fire conical gun mounting, possibly for a 1-pounder r/f, but I'm not familiar with that particular version of an r/f gun mounting, so I have no idea of the size of it.  I suspect it would have to be about four feet tall though.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »
 I can see what appear to be the raised numbers 870 on the left bracket of the pedestal mount, but I don't think that is the trunnion face; I think the brackets enclose the trunnions. I enlarged the picture as much as the pixel count would allow without distorting the image and looked hard at the top surface of the barrel between the first reinforce, second reinforce and also the chase; I can't see any vestiges of any royal coat of arms, cypher or company logo and the base ring also seems to be unmarked.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Owen

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
hi

the barrel is about 5' long I didnt have a tape mesure on me ill try to take on next time the bore is 4" to 5" I would say. With getting a visit to the workshops ... no idea lol I heard about it on the radio that morning, sorry so im not sure how you could get a visit out side that time. I do have some more pics in larger format if any one wants a look and from a few different angles. You can not see the end of the trunnions as they are covered buy the mount (that is about 4' high).

Owen
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline shooter2

• Avid Poster
  • To err is Human, to ARR is Pirate.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »
The mount is exactly the same as those used for Nordenfeldt Guns for harbour defence.  I saw several of this type at Fort Queenscliffe (Victoria Australia) during a visit there some years ago.  But none of this helps to identify the cannon in question.  Without more detail, I can only guess and I am staying with 6 pounder but the problem for me is the lack of a rope ring at the top of the Cascabel.  Most, if not all British guns had this feature in the era the gun appears to come from.  So, what country of origin?  A war trophy rather than a cannon previously used by Australian Forces is where I am leaning.  This could mean Spain (Phillipines), France or any number of small African or Asian states where Aussies may have strayed and appropriated the cannon in question. 
Shooter2
We are the Guns and your masters!
Saw ye our flashes?
Heard ye the scream of our shells in the night, and the shuddering crashes?

'The Voice of the Guns'
Captain Gilbert Frankau Royal Artillery 1916

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 02:20:24 AM »
Bit of confusion creeping in here. British iron naval guns had the breeching loop on top of the cascable, bronze field guns had the loop for elevating screws below. But you are right, no loop and certainly does not look like an official bronze pattern.

Bob Smith