Author Topic: Best cleaning solvent  (Read 3112 times)

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Best cleaning solvent
« on: September 25, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
What is the best solvent to use for cleaning out your .22..to remove any leading or residue.. I have Hoppes #9 but was wondering if there was a better choice.. One that is READILY availabel on store shelve's...  Drop

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Best cleaning solvent
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
There probably is no best anything even for a single chore but for rimfires Hoppe's original #9 is about as close as it gets to perfect.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 01:45:34 PM »
Hoppe's #9 works for me, too. I see no reason to change.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Maritime Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:45:46 PM »
For me it depends on volume to be used. Normal use; Hoppes9 Tons of target use(visits to the trap field); Ed's Red
A Maritimer & Damn Proud of it.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 11:17:27 AM »
I switched to Shooters choice from Hoppe's many years back. It was proven to me, buy a friend. He asked me to clean any gun barrel as good as I could until clean patches came out. Then he ran a clean Shooters Choice saturated patch thru the bore and it came out dirty!!  Right there, I was sold. ;D

More recently I have been using the gel and foaming cleaners and think they are even better than the reg liquid cleaners. My theory is that they can stay in contact with the fowling longer better working at them to make them easier to remove.

I say give one of they foaming bore cleaners a try, about every manufacturer making solvent has one, you pic your favorite.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 11:38:32 AM »
I use wipeout for the heavy liftin and break free most of the time. kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
It's a RIMFIRE guys not a centerfire ya don't need all that extra effort or solvents for it. You've been reading too many magazines.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »
I use Break Free on everything, thought I was doing good.........
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »
It's a RIMFIRE guys not a center-fire ya don't need all that extra effort or solvents for it. You've been reading too many magazines.

Just FYI,
 I use, sell and have sold the stuff for about 20 years...  ::)  I'm an instructor, a range officer and a coach. Our one store had five indoor ranges. We rented firearms and provided service for everything pertaining to firearms.
Now, I would never proclaim I have seen it all... but I have certainly see allot.

Read mags... heck I could WRITE for them. ;D ;) Oh yea..I've done that too!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline neophyte

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 06:29:23 PM »
So what happened to the mix 25% Kroil, 75% Shooter's Choice?

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 05:23:29 AM »
What is Kroil?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 05:35:42 AM »
So what happened to the mix 25% Kroil, 75% Shooter's Choice?

Hesh yo mouf boy!   :o  You'll give away our secret!   'sides, these guys will try that mix, like it, and then won't have any "what's the best" to talk about!   ::)  You'll have taken away one of their joys in life by you're one statement!   :(  Very cruel and uncaring if ya ask me... so you just tell them not to listen to anything said by a self proclaimed neophyte!   ;)  ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 06:02:48 AM »
Hmmmm, I gotta study this Kroil stuff....

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 07:18:19 AM »
Kind of funny how that works I spend the time gettin all the gunk out then piss an moan trying to get it fouled again so the accuracy comes back. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 07:39:21 AM »
Hoppes takes me back to my childhood, back then there was nothing else. It still removes powder fouling about as good as anything else. For a 22 rimfire you don't need anything else unless it is leaded.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 09:07:10 AM »
 :o :o :o  Your supposed to clean the bore in a 22 rimfire?   :o :o :o

Hoppe's #9 or Benchrest both do a great job and have for years.  I don't like the smell of Kroil but have used it on occasion.  Seems to work well but no better than Breakfree or Marvel Mystery Oil which both stink a lot less IMO.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 12:51:24 PM »
I have used Kroil before... But didnt realise it was a cleaner also... I had never used Hoppe's#9..so I went and bought a couple bottle's at the W store for about 2 and a half bucks each...So How well does this mixture of Kroil and Shooter's choice blended together work? How about Kroil and Hoppes #9 blended? And what are the advantages? I was told by my gunsmith that Kroil will penetrate easier into the poors of the metal more readily than any other oil. Is it therefore a better rust preventative? And will the lube in the bore effect accuracy? Sorry for maybe being a pain here..But I want to be an educated pain. Drop

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 02:55:45 PM »
Kroil is a very poor rust preventative, even WD40 is better!!  ;)

Tim

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 03:15:50 PM »

Tim

I use Kroil and find it works great.
In my experience WD-40 is great at displacing moisture poor at preventing rust... atleast mid to long term. I have not had any rust issues with Kroil.

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »
Until I saw that corrosion test I thought the same thing.Some of those results are kind of surprising. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 10:45:15 AM »

Tim

I use Kroil and find it works great.
In my experience WD-40 is great at displacing moisture poor at preventing rust... atleast mid to long term. I have not had any rust issues with Kroil.

Thats what WD is for.. Water Displacement, #40 version. No dodo.. google it!!  ;D ;)

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 01:02:29 PM »
But it doesn't stay on the metal it evaporates fairly rapidly.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 01:38:54 PM »
Obviously WD40 doesn't evaporate that fast as the Kroil in the test failed miserably with 75% rust in the mild 5hr test, the WD40 had trace freckling after 29hrs, Kroil wasn't tested in the 29hr test cuz it failed so bad in the short test. WD40 isn't the best protectant, but at least it provides short term protection, something Kroil didn't do and isn't meant to do. Neither are good for long term protection, that's where Breakfree CLP and Eezox shine as they're intended for that use as well as lubrication.

Tim

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »
WD40 isn't the best protectant, but at least it provides short term protection, something Kroil didn't do and isn't meant to do. Neither are good for long term protection, that's where Breakfree CLP and Eezox shine

+1  Thank you Tim!   :D  I never thought of using Kroil or WD40 as a protectant.  Matter of fact I won't use WD40 on my guns at all!  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »
WD40 isn't the best protectant, but at least it provides short term protection, something Kroil didn't do and isn't meant to do. Neither are good for long term protection, that's where Breakfree CLP and Eezox shine

+1  Thank you Tim!   :D  I never thought of using Kroil or WD40 as a protectant.  Matter of fact I won't use WD40 on my guns at all!  ;)

I don't use a lot of WD-40 but do find it useful particularly when around salt water.  Reels, guns and other stuff last better if blasted clean with WD and then lubed with Marvel Mystery Oil or Breakfree.  WD does a great job of getting the wet off the metal which is what it was designed for.  Works great for drying out a wet ignition system.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 11:04:32 AM »
We always used WD40 when cleaning up after black powder. After cleaning the barrel with soap and water, we would soak the barrel with WD40 to chase the water away.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 03:19:32 PM »
.22 barrels don't need cleaned at all unless they are leading. The lube on .22 biulds up a layer in the bore that protects and aids in accuratecy. I will put 8 or 10 thousand rounds thru my .22 before I claen the bore, The action is another matter I clean and protect that after every use.  I like rem oil on the outside.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Maritime Storm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 04:19:42 AM »
I clean rimfire rifles twice a year, after target shooting before storage and after hunting season before storage. My shotguns get cleaned everytime their fired.
A Maritimer & Damn Proud of it.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »
WD-40 has it's uses, I keep some around at all times. In an action, over time, it will build up and it gets gummy. On the out side it really does not matter a whole lot, but the action is another matter. WD-40 when used needs to be cleaned out of the action and another rust preventative - lubricant used like CLP Break Free. I use Rem Oil and CLP almost exclusively now. Hoppes #9 is not good in an action either. If it runs out of the bore and gets into the action, it will gum it up good. I know it has happened to me. ;) Years ago, I thought I would leave a coat of it on the inside of the bore to work. I put it up and forgot about it for a long time. It ran out of the bore into the action. It dried up and it froze up the bolt release. The safety was sluggish too. I had to clean it up real good with alcohol and a cotton swab. I know this now and it does not happen any more. ::)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.