Author Topic: AR15 whats your opinon?  (Read 15259 times)

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
AR15 whats your opinon?
« on: September 26, 2008, 03:46:10 AM »
Swampman and I started discussing "the black rifle" in another thread and I thought it would be neat to get everyones opinion on them. 

"Swampman stated he thought they were bad for our public image when used in hunting."  I have to respectfully disagree that its not the gun itself in any situation, rather the people wielding them that effect public image.  I've seen people shooting 300 win mags wound a deer... 

All around I think that the modern versions of the M4 and other varients are very reliable and extremly accurate.  Like others I started off bashing them and bought a mini 14.  Blooming thing jammed on me every 3 or 4th shot.  Traded it off and had an AR15 carbine built.  Never had a mis-fire from it.  Sold it at a gunshow and made $100.00 profit.  Had a full length DPMS built.  Most accurate gun I ever owned.  Thing shot a 1/2" group out of the box w/ Black Hills 68gr. match After being sighted in.  A friend had to have it and I sold it to him again for another $100.00 profit...

JMHO though ;D
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: AR15 whats your opinon?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:54:38 AM »
Every yr. at the Nef praire dog shoot,more and more of the AR's show up.They are very accurate,and account for alot of kills.I don't have one yet,but that may change.I do have a Saiga in 223 (AK 47 action)that will out shoot every Handi I've ever owned. The bad part is chasing the brass,and with tall grass,thats a problem.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:24:27 AM »
I hunt hogs with my M4.  It's light, handy, and very effective.  Plus, it doesn't destroy much meat on the smaller ones that are better to eat.  But, I'll use about anything for hogs...even knives.  I also carry a Glock 22 with me.  Yeah, it looks tactical and all that, but the truth is, I can get farther away from extra ammo, carry less weight and still feel safe when stalking an animal that can potentially turn on me. 

However, if I'm taking someone with me who I feel might be sensitive to that sort of thing, I take the Handi, or a bolt gun or some other sporting rifle.  I think the AR platform is well-suited for hunting all types of game and will continue to use mine, but with the understanding that not everyone else thinks so.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 04:49:17 AM »
I don't own an AR-15, but in the war, the M16 was my right hand so to speak.   It went with me every day, and stayed by me every night. ;)

They are easy to carry, easy to manuver in difficult situations, can take a beating and not look any for worse.  They'll work for you in the rain, in the snow, in  the heat, and in the cold.  8)

There are numorous magazine capacities for your convenience.    These new AR's are very accurated, and can be customized to your personal tastes..   They're fun to shoot, good for target practice, are excellent for hunting. ;D

I don't know why I don't own one? ???  :-\  :(

Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Natty Bumppo

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:03:57 AM »
I like the AR-15 variants a lot - very accurate and dependable.  Like 4B, carried an M-4 in Iraq and loved it.  I don't own one, but would like to.  I own a Mini-14 and it's nice, but if I had to make a choice it would be the M-4 variant every time.  As far as hunting with one goes, why not?  I feel the same about that as I do about saying "harvest" instead of "kill."  People who are anti-hunting are anti-hunting whether you kill an animal with an AR-15 or "harvest" one with a Handi.  I have too much respect for the animals I hunt to compare them to fruits and vegetables by using the word "harvest."

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:37:17 AM »
I still consider them bullet eatin beasts!!! But think they are kind of neat don't mind others shootin them. Don't mind shootin others now and then as long as it's thier bullets. I have a hard enough time keeping loaded bullets for my handi's. They are pricey. Don't like seeing them in the deer woods though.To each his own but not for me. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:52:27 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I flinch more when I see someone w/ an SKS in the woods then I do an AR...

I've seen way, way more ppl throw 10 rounds of 7.62x39 at a running deer as fast as they can careless of where they are shooting than I have people w/ ar15's. 

But it all goes back to the person weilding the weapon. 
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 06:46:58 AM »
I know it's made me shoot differently.  First time I took the m4 out for hogs I popped off about 3 rounds at the first hog...missed with all three.  just shooting too fast.  I'm much more conservative now....fire....reaquire target....watch....fire again if necessary.  I have to remember to place the first shot well.  It does eat a bit more ammo while hunting than the handi, but i kill more hogs. 

As for deer, my brother-in-law took several doe with my .223 loads in my handi last year.  It's the same load I shoot in the m4, but there are certainly more capable calibers but you can get those in an AR platform as well.

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 07:30:19 AM »
The AR platform is a wonderful platform for the civilian shooter.  What other gun platform offers the flexibility to hunt varmints with a .223 upper in the morning then change to a 6.8SPC upper to hunt deer in the afternoon. The answer is, there isn't one.  The AR is easy to operate, rugged, reliable and very very accurate.
I have two .223/5.56 AR's and am building a 6.8SPC upper to replace my bolt action 270. AR's can be built in the garage in an hour.  No other platform offers that level of versatility.
Stoner's design is pure genius and I'm glad to see it's finally getting accepted in the sporting world.

The AR's problem in some firearms circles is perception and old attitudes. Some of the old guard is still stuck in the stone age.  They think that a hunting rifle should be blued steel and wood. Bolt, lever or single shot.  Nevermind that Stoner's design dates from the late 1950's. Newfangled tupperware space guns need not apply to the blued steel/wood good-ole-boys club.

AR owners are just as responsible as any other firearms owners, maybe more so in light of some state regulations targeted at semi-auto rifles.  The word needs to get out that AR owners don't get any exemption from the law when hunting.  We have to use five round magazines and obey the prevailing laws like everybody else.

The old guard forgets that there is more than one kind of gun out there.  I encounter these guys at the range from time to time. Most are just ignorant and closed minded.  They forget that we are all in the same boat as gun owners.  The 2nd Amendment doesn't distinguish between types of guns used for hunting or other legal purposes.  If the liberals go after my black rifle, your Remchester isn't far behind.

I like my AR's and will continue to spread the good word about them.  If the dinosaurs at the range want to try my plastic/carbon fiber wundergun, I'll certainly let them burn up a mag or two. Maybe I can change a mind and bring another non-believer over to the dark side.

It's fun over here.

This is my opinion. Your opinion may vary.

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 07:42:27 AM »
I've had the "AR Hunting Rifle" debate with a guy from work.  We're both veteran's and both enjoy the shooting sports.  When he sees the rifle he sees something that was meant to kill people, and when I see it I see a gun that is meant to shoot little bullets accurately.  We're both right, but it'll take the public time to adjust.  This debate goes back to people getting used to muzzleloaders instead of bows, cartridges instead of black powder, lever actions to semi's, and on and on and on.  There's no right answer in any of this, but I've owned different AR's in my life and will probably own another again someday.  It's a great gun, but it is also an image that brings back a lot of memories for people both good & bad.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 08:11:56 AM »
Some of the old guard is still stuck in the stone age.  They think that a hunting rifle should be blued steel and wood. Bolt, lever or single shot.

So, what's your point?   ???

the blued steel/wood good-ole-boys club.

::)  strike two...

We have to use five round magazines

Hummmm, nasty and uninformed.  At least in enlightened states like Jawja.   :(

I encounter these guys at the range from time to time. Most are just ignorant and closed minded.

Ignorance can be cured.  Nasty goes all the way to the bone! Strike three!   >:(

This is my opinion. Your opinion may vary.

No, actually my opinion is more like yours.  But I still don't talk ugly about those that may not believe like I do...  Well, maybe liberals and kids who probably weren't even born when I was shooting their favorite rifle...  'Course it may be that I'm just one of those old guard good-ole-boys who is still stuck in the stone age and likes his bolt, lever and single shot hunting rifles in blued steel and wood.   ;) ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »
ar 15/k98/smile/ 5rounds  i have hunted with all of them and will do so again. like the man said old thoughts die hard
never to much gun

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 08:27:06 AM »
ATLLAW, WELL SAID SHAME THEY CAN'T SEE IT !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 08:35:33 AM »
Just so everyone will know where I stand.  I like the AR-15 and it's clones.  I owned a pre-ban Colt Target Sporter, and shot High Power Matches with it.  I do feel that they are bad for our public image when used for hunting (esp. big game hunting.)  That's why I sold mine.  I'm not opposed to others using them.  I do think we hurt ourselves, when we don't police ourselves.  I wouldn't use a Barret .50 for hunting either.

Just my 2 cents.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 08:38:15 AM »
Its not what we think about each others guns its what non shooters think and vote . You want to use an AR to hunt , educate the non hunters or pay the price !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 10:53:40 AM »
You want to use an AR to hunt , educate the non hunters or pay the price !

Otherwise do as the old guard would have us do and use nothing but Handi's and front stuffers and if we are lucky maybe a bolt gun? ::)  What a load!  Hunters and shooters of all types are the ones to lose out every time some ignorant gun owner is willing to turn their back on a certain type of firearm because it is "bad for the sportsman's image."   It's every-one's duty to educate the ignorant not just the owners and users of ARs, AKs and the like.

There are many many more slob hunters out there that give the sport a bad name while using so-called hunting guns than there are folks that use military styled firearms altogether.

To me you're either with us gun owners and shooters or your against us.  Being willing to state a certain type of firearm is bad for image reasons puts you against us, plain and simple.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 10:58:06 AM »
It don't matter much to me what anyone thinks.  I'm just pointing out the fact that you're hurting all of us by not policing yourselves.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 10:58:26 AM »
Even though I have owned AR's in legal hunting calibers, I still would feel a little funny about hunting with one.  The look of the modern hunter is changing and it's just going to take people getting used to seeing the AR rifles, but more of them are being produced in hunting camo like the remington ones and I think that is helping it's image some.  Like anything else, it's going to take time.

I have hunted with bolt action rifles, single shots, and lever actions.  My favorite being the lever actions, but that's just me and a lot of that has been dictated by state laws that I've hunted in.  I'd love to take an AR to texas where anything goes, but that trip is still pretty far off.  In any event I don't think it's my place to tell anyone what their favorite type of hunting rifle should be, but if they ask about mine I can explain why it is what it is at that time.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 12:37:22 PM »
I like them and really hope to own one someday. When I do buy one this is the one I want. Dale
http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GRFLR-6.5
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 12:56:55 PM »
do as the old guard would have us do and use nothing but Handi's and front stuffers and if we are lucky maybe a bolt gun?  <snip> Being willing to state a certain type of firearm is bad for image reasons puts you against us, plain and simple.

Ala Jim Zumbo.   ::)  I could not believe he would make the statement he did.  :(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »
my opinion is that as an american, it is your duty to own and maintain one and at least 1000 rounds of ammo for it.  

AR15 whats my opinion?

Besides I have no use for any auto loading hunting rifle. I associate them with sloppy hunters and game wounding. AR15 223's are not deer rifles at least not for the deer that I know of. I realize that AR15 can be had in bigger calibers.

Even for PD's why would you want to mow them down one after the other. Where is the sport? Leave some for another day.
alright, i will bite.  obviously as ignorant as an answer as there ever was.  i invite anyone on this site to a shoot off. i will use a bushmaster varminter in 223.  just to keep things simple, 100 yards, 200, and 300.  no money, loser eats his targets and posts it on you tube.  i am in rice lake, wi, and i am free all weekend next weekend.   ya, i dont expect any takers.  but the point is that ar's aint what you think they are.  i dont know anyone who "sprays and prays"  ammo is too expensive.  
  anyone remember jim zumbo?  lol

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »
I often use a Mini-14, simply because I don't own an AR-clone.  One of my varmint hunting partners uses one in 22-250.  He can bring home more fur than I can since he can make follow-up shots before the animal gets out of range.

They are the new face of hunting, not just varmints, but Deer and other bigger game.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 01:26:07 PM »
I have no use for any auto loading hunting rifle.

Me either, they just don't interest me for hunting.  Seen to many people who think emptying a  magazine is equal to taking an aimed shot.  The only auto loaders I have are military or military style rifles: AR's, FAL's, M1's, a M1 carbine.  I would not hesitate to take a Garand or FAL (complete with a 20 round mag   ;D) deer hunting; loaded with suitable bullets of course.  But there are so many sportin rifles I've never gotten around to it.  I would not denigrate a person for what he chooses to hunt with, well there is that 24 caliber thing  ;), though I may discuss the merits of his choice with him!   ;D

I remember frantically searching the reloading tables at a gun show sometime back, looking for anyone who had any of the recently discontinued .338 180 gr. Nosler BT's.  I couldn't find any and grew quite frustrated.  The last dealer suggested another, heavier, bullet and I told him I used the 180's in my favorite deer load and I didn't need anything heavier.  He looked at me and said, "some people might think you don't need a .338 for deer."   Of course he was right.  :-[

So, if someone wants to hunt deer with an AR in, say, 260 or 308, good on 'em!  But for me, there are a whole bunch of bolt guns and single shots out there I'd buy first!

Now when it comes to shooting a high power match, I've retired my '03 and Garand and use my AR.   ;D 
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »

They are the new face of hunting, not just varmints, but Deer and other bigger game.

Anyone who doesn't believe this statement would be well served to take a look at the likes of Cobb Industries and some of their competition who not only offer AR variants in all the standard calibers but in some of the belted magnums as well.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 04:35:43 PM »
That's fine, but it's still bad for the public image of hunting.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 05:25:42 PM »
Swampman Quote from reply #13
  I do feel that they are bad for our public image when used for hunting (esp. big game hunting.)  That's why I sold mine.  

What makes you feel that way.   You're not alone, a lot of men see it like that, with no and's if's or but's, allowed; but why?
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
I guess I live and hunt in an uncivilized area, not that many people see my gun & if they did, that does not
weigh my decision in what to use. People see what they want to see. Some get ideas when they see hunters at McDonalds in camo. Concerning "image", some folks would get uptight if they see a hunter pull out a long barreled rifle with one of those dreaded "sniper" scopes. Later it will be all weapons if we don't turn it around. Being worried about someone seeing your preferred weapon & being offended is worrying about the problem after the fact. I like some of these shows like the American Shooter that shows people taking part in the shooting sports with AR's and all sorts of weapons. In other words, education is where it's at & the anti's are busy with their indoctrination.
And if the anti message drives home first, it may translate to an AR hatred at first, because Libs understand incrementalism, but harsh feelings would follow for ALL weapons & ALL hunting later. Let's don't be the frog in the water as it slowly heats. A Canadian making a comment should cause us to remember the path of their nation & the direction these things go when gun control starts, does getting rid of AR type weapons make your ownership of other guns a safer bet? No, in EVERY case just the opposite occurs, so much for "image"
Just to get rid of a gun because of image caters to the anti's only briefly, let's educate.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
How many of us carry Win. Model 70's into the woods?  Kimbers?  CZ's?  Rugers?  All share that same military arm heritage of the Mauser.  We've been hunting with military rifles for a long time...they're just dressed a little different.  Sportsmen used Mausers because they were accurate, reliable, once sporterized light and handy, extremely durable, and able to be chambered in almost anything required to take the desired game.  The AR platform is the same.  It just looks different.  And that is the problem for the non-hunters and anti-gun persons in the world.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 01:30:09 AM »
Swampman Quote from reply #13
  I do feel that they are bad for our public image when used for hunting (esp. big game hunting.)  That's why I sold mine.  

What makes you feel that way.   You're not alone, a lot of men see it like that, with no and's if's or but's, allowed; but why?

Please note, I haven't said anything about getting rid of black rifles.  They have their place.  Even full autos have their place in the hands of the private citizen.  The average citizen doesn't even know the difference between a full auto and a standard AR-15.  I had to explain that to friends many times.  They see an AR and they think it's a "machine gun."

I work in a company where a fellow was fired for drawing a picture of a knife.  I deal with a lot of people on a daily basis.  Many of them (mostly women)view all gun owners as physcos that are ready to shoot up the nearest school or workplace.  You wouldn't believe some of the questions/treatment I've been subject to.  The paramilitary look of the AR-15 simply reinforces those ideas.  Walk down the road in this county with a hunting rifle and few will think anything.  Be seen with a black rifle, and most folks will call the cops.  As you can tell from the post above people aren't willing to police themselves.  "I will exercise my rights, and I don't care what anybody thinks" is the order of the day.  I actually sold off my extensive paramilitary rifle collection because I felt it was better to get the money out of them before the government took them.  That time is coming.  If Obama is elected, it's coming soon.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 02:19:52 AM »
police themselves

You can't be serious?  You've chosen to interpret this to mean the anits are right and you've given up.  You gave up and joined the opposition when you sold off your "extensive paramilitary collection."  I once quit a job because the libtards who owned the company decided not to allow anyone to carry on company premises so tell me, which of us will be responsible if our rights are eliminated.  Please note I said if not when.  I state it this way because I've read the 2nd amendment and understand what it says.  There is no mention of "keep and bear arms" as long is they're percieved under a certain light.