Author Topic: AR15 whats your opinon?  (Read 15282 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: AR15 whats your opinon?
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »
i sure am glad i aint one of those folks running around selling out my ideals and principles just to try to make others happy.   those kind of folks dont really have any conviction; but it sure is funny that they think they do.

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »
I don't own an AR-15, but in the war, the M16 was my right hand so to speak.   It went with me every day, and stayed by me every night. ;)

They are easy to carry, easy to manuver in difficult situations, can take a beating and not look any for worse.  They'll work for you in the rain, in the snow, in  the heat, and in the cold.  8)

There are numorous magazine capacities for your convenience.    These new AR's are very accurated, and can be customized to your personal tastes..   They're fun to shoot, good for target practice, are excellent for hunting. ;D

I don't know why I don't own one? ???  :-\  :(  

Hey Natty Bumppo;  I just talked myself into getting an AR today.   Couldn't resist it after I made that post.   Hope to see you get yours too.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »
Heck!  I'd just put on louder pipes!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2008, 02:09:24 AM »
Heck!  I'd just put on louder pipes!   ;D

I agree. :D

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2008, 02:23:16 AM »
Geeze, I don't know about you people, with your hell's angels motorcycles, and all these guns! Don't you know how much you are standing in the way of the intellectual take over of America?
Don't you realize how much easier it would be to socialize this country if all you conservatives with your antiquated ideas would just go away? 

You know, I've actually been told that to my face before, right here in somewhat conservative Dallas!
Not only did I embarrass my wife, (again,) I snuck back over to the host's house in the middle of the night and stuck one of my NRA life member stickers on her back bumper.

Sorry for the rant, Atllaw's comment about louder pipes lit a fire in my memory banks!!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2008, 03:26:15 AM »
Back to AR's... I've finally picked out one I like @ the local AR store... m4 style w/ a quadrail, CAA pistol grip, and OD green furnature... pretty sharp... gonna try to pick it up today :)
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2008, 03:31:59 AM »
Good for you, bad for the sport.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2008, 03:59:04 AM »
Good for me... Good for the sport... Good for America, and GOOD FOR FREEDOM!
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2008, 04:19:41 AM »
good for you, sss.   way to use your rights!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2008, 04:41:50 AM »
Good for me... Good for the sport... Good for America, and GOOD FOR FREEDOM!

Nope, just good for you.  Way to ruin the sport.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2008, 04:45:06 AM »
How am I ruining the sport by buying an AR15?  I'd like to see facts, and links to articles backing up this claim swampman... not just your BS opinion...

Offline FourBee

« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2008, 05:01:28 AM »
Webster's Dictionary: Sport:  any activity or experinece that gives enjoyment or recreation; pastime; diversion

YEEEEEEEeeeee -  HHAAAAAAAaaaaaw !!  Can't wait to enjoy the sport with my new AR.  :D :D :D ;D

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2008, 05:08:11 AM »
Semi-automatic rifles are usually just a phase that immature shooters go through.  As we age we become more aware of what's important to the continuation of out great hunting heritage.  Most of us turn to muzzleloaders, single shots, archery, or maybe lever actions.  Hopefully you'll get to that point one day.

The M-4 (truthfully there's no such thing as a semi-auto M-4) is nice for home protection and competition shooting.  When used as intended it's not bad for our hunting heritage.

Enjoy your Mattel toy.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2008, 05:08:37 AM »
There's always a fine line to walk between exercising your freedom and jeopardizing it.  Remember that even the 2nd amendment can be repealed with enough public support.  There is nothing "permanent".

Meat recovery laws work this way.  Once an elk is dead, it doesn't matter to the elk, it doesn't matter to the herd, and it doesn't matter to the biologists if you haul that meat off the mountain.  It matters because general opinion frowns on wasting the meat of an animal you killed.  It matters because anti-hunting groups could make serious gains in public support if they showed hunters wasting animals.

This is a similar situation.  I don't actually care about ARs and hunting.  Not for them, not against them... But I can see both sides of the issue.  It would make us all look bad if some wanna-be rambo was out there ripping off his 30 rd clip at a herd of running deer.  That's a fact.  On the other hand, in a treestand, good shot placement, responsible hunters wouldn't notice a difference between a AR and a 700.  One shot is all that's needed.

Just remember that what you do reflects on all of us, and behave appropriately.  Your "rights" are not as permanent as you think, and I sure don't want to lose any more.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2008, 05:11:30 AM »
Anybody who knows anything about the inherent qualities and wide use of the AR in target shooting and hunting activities should understand that you don't need to apologize for having one.  I don't even want to get into an extended discussion about that, because it goes on forever and gets silly.  

People who abuse the right to own guns are the problem.  People who have false perceptions about certain guns (and most of those people have false perceptions about ALL guns) are the problem.  Lawbreakers are the problem.  Criminals are the problem. Slobs are the problem.

You will never concede enough to the anti's to stop their campaigns until you give up your very last gun! - no matter what type it is.
Even a toy gun. (Think that's a joke?  It's not. They even boycott Toys R Us)

If you want an AR, get one.  Use it legally and safely.  I think I'm going to, but I still don't like the idea of chasing the spent brass all over the place.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2008, 05:25:43 AM »
The same arguement can be made about people who "think" they are snipers and take shots @ distances they have no business shooting.  I know a couple friends that can definately hit consistant groups @ the 1000 yard mark, who would never consider shooting a deer w/ their .308 bolt action "target" rifles beyond 500 yards... I've seen guys w/ 300 win. mags miss all their shots w/ a bolt action, reload and shoot some more... Same applies to muzzle loading and bow hunting... I've seen some terrible, terrible shots taken w/ bows... but i'm not against using them for hunting... Because in the same breath, I've seen people make outstanding shots w/ all hunting devices. 

Swampman, you again, ruin any credibility you have or had by ignoring a simple request of any facts to back up your BS opinions...

Offline FourBee

« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2008, 05:29:23 AM »
If you want an AR, get one.  Use it legally and safely.  I think I'm going to, but I still don't like the idea of chasing the spent brass all over the place.

Hey Cement Man;  I wouldn't worry about chasing spent brass.   Most of that will be spent at the range, and it's 99% recoverable, and we normally won't shoot more than a round or two during a single hunt.  

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2008, 05:41:43 AM »
Again, I don't need any credibility.  I state the facts.  You can believe them or not.  That doesn't change the facts.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2008, 05:43:07 AM »
Lol! That is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard!  Where do you get your facts from?  The Brady Center? PETA? 

And you haven't posted any facts! Just your opinion... So am I to understand that your opinion is indeed fact?

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2008, 05:46:48 AM »
Fourbee,
What you say is true and I agree.  I just hate picking through the weeds and brush for the stuff.  Ummm - I am lazy.  :D :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2008, 05:51:51 AM »
Lol! That is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard!  Where do you get your facts from?  The Brady Center? PETA? 

And you haven't posted any facts! Just your opinion... So am I to understand that your opinion is indeed fact?

My opinion (nor yours) doesn't matter.  The facts are all that matter.  Just because you ignore or refuse to accept the facts doesn't change anything.  That's all up to you.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2008, 06:36:50 AM »
Fourbee,
What you say is true and I agree.  I just hate picking through the weeds and brush for the stuff.  Ummm - I am lazy.  :D :D

Ain't that the truth!   Even using my bolt action, I can't pull the bolt back easy enough to keep some of that brass from flying out in the grass, and I end up crawling around out there on my hands and knees trying to find it.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2008, 06:37:06 AM »
As soon as you give some facts I'll review them... You have failed to do this...

I can claim that one reason the m16 jammed so much in Vietnam, was that  Army Ordinance switched from stick powder to ball powder.

Here's where I got my information... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur2xbYPouIo

This is a segment from "The History of the M16"

Offline FourBee

« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2008, 12:01:33 PM »
I can claim that one reason the m16 jammed so much in Vietnam, was that  Army Ordinance switched from stick powder to ball powder.

Here's where I got my information... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur2xbYPouIo

This is a segment from "The History of the M16"

What year was that?  It didn't affect my unit at any rate.  I remember one of my first duties when I arrived was  2 of us at a time, loading piles of magazines with ammo in shifts.  We had ammo on top of ammo.  It may still be there.  

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »
There's always a fine line to walk between exercising your freedom and jeopardizing it.  Remember that even the 2nd amendment can be repealed with enough public support.  There is nothing "permanent".

Meat recovery laws work this way.  Once an elk is dead, it doesn't matter to the elk, it doesn't matter to the herd, and it doesn't matter to the biologists if you haul that meat off the mountain.  It matters because general opinion frowns on wasting the meat of an animal you killed.  It matters because anti-hunting groups could make serious gains in public support if they showed hunters wasting animals.

This is a similar situation.  I don't actually care about ARs and hunting.  Not for them, not against them... But I can see both sides of the issue.  It would make us all look bad if some wanna-be rambo was out there ripping off his 30 rd clip at a herd of running deer.  That's a fact.  On the other hand, in a treestand, good shot placement, responsible hunters wouldn't notice a difference between a AR and a 700.  One shot is all that's needed.

Just remember that what you do reflects on all of us, and behave appropriately.  Your "rights" are not as permanent as you think, and I sure don't want to lose any more.

Of course, behavior matters, everyone here is already aware of that, which has NOTHING to do with whether or not we choose an AR. That applies to any type of weapon we choose. As you said, if we make a good one shot kill, then it doesn't matter if it is an AR or model 700. If a "hunter empties a 5 round clip at a running deer it is not a good thing or how about a guy with a 44mag cowboy, yep a whole bunch of rounds can be fired with that one & some can make them sound like an auto, so ANY of those could convey the same "image' to others in the woods. I cannot recall squeezing off more than one round at a time while in the woods with an AR while hunting, so the weapon is not the deal here. Actually, that was not the purpose of the original post or this thread, where the original poster said that he saw no problem with hunting with an AR, whereas Swampman felt that the mere use of the AR was an "image" problem, regardless of how it was used. Looks like it's time to re-introduce the 1st post.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »
Swampman and I started discussing "the black rifle" in another thread and I thought it would be neat to get everyones opinion on them. 

"Swampman stated he thought they were bad for our public image when used in hunting."  I have to respectfully disagree that its not the gun itself in any situation, rather the people wielding them that effect public image.  I've seen people shooting 300 win mags wound a deer... 

All around I think that the modern versions of the M4 and other varients are very reliable and extremly accurate.  Like others I started off bashing them and bought a mini 14.  Blooming thing jammed on me every 3 or 4th shot.  Traded it off and had an AR15 carbine built.  Never had a mis-fire from it.  Sold it at a gunshow and made $100.00 profit.  Had a full length DPMS built.  Most accurate gun I ever owned.  Thing shot a 1/2" group out of the box w/ Black Hills 68gr. match After being sighted in.  A friend had to have it and I sold it to him again for another $100.00 profit...

JMHO though ;D

"bad for our public image when used in hunting" was what really kicked this off & the thought that giving up his gun would make things better, which is fantasy.

Then how about this as well? Since many of the same folks who would not like to even see an AR for "hunting" have a disdain for handguns as well & they don't think we need them, does this mean that we should also as handgunners sell our handguns so that we all will have a better image? It's the same deal as the AR, think about it. Like I said at the beginning, it's a matter of educating everyone you can now, or give up 1 after the other until you wind up with a Handirifle, until they think that is bad too. Nope, not me!  ::)
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2008, 02:44:51 AM »
it boils down to swampy's arguement that because someone might not like it, we should give it up.   swampy is a sissy pants quiter.   he claims he hasnt been nuetered or emasculated; yet proudly proclaims what he has done, and wants us to follow suit.   hilarious.   but dont worry, he has the magical book that  tells him exactly what is going to happen next!  and on top of that, his opinion is FACT and everyone else is WRONG!   bat $#@! crazy doesnt even begin to accurately describe his mentality.  he is exactly like rosie o'donnell and whoopie goldberg.  i have seen this before, certain people get 'funny' as they age.   

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2008, 02:55:36 AM »
No it boils down to you'd rather help us lose the right to hunt than do the right thing.  Like most people, It's all about you.  That's what's ruined my country.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2008, 03:55:18 AM »
Feeble attempts at appeasement of the anti gun crowd is just that. Giving up incrementally, and that is a fact. >:(

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2008, 05:36:41 AM »
I agree!  That's not what this is about.

What is legal, isn't always ethical.  Is it ethical to harvest more than you can use even if it's legal? Not IMO.

You have the right to be a game hog.  Does that make being a game hog right?

This is all about doing what is best for the our hunting heritage.