Author Topic: AR15 whats your opinon?  (Read 15320 times)

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: AR15 whats your opinon?
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
Why not go ahead and get rid of the rest of your firearms?  B/C if a ban comes around this time its not going to be just "assult" weapons... it will be all of them...

Your a sellout...
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »
Why not go ahead and get rid of the rest of your firearms?  B/C if a ban comes around this time its not going to be just "assult" weapons... it will be all of them...

Your a sellout...

No, it will be done just like the other nations have done.  They'll start with the semis & pumps.  Obama will do whatever the UN wants him to.  I've considered just going to a muzzleloader,  but I'm thinking blackpowder and it's subs might be the first thing to go.

Your opinion of me is meaningless.  Your insulting me, will not make your unethical conduct ethical.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #272 on: October 13, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
Well, since this topic got derailed a long, long, time ago, I can't help but ask: When a few of you referred to that war back in the 1800s as "The War of Northern aggression," didn't you really mean to say, "The Civil War against Slavery?" ;D ;D ;D

OK, OK, I'm sorry, I was just joking, I swear I was... :D :D :D ;) Just my feeble attempt at humor. I know how gung-ho some of you are about that topic.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2008, 12:21:12 PM »
Back to the original question, when a gun wins the hearts and minds of gunsmiths, good things happen. The AR is getting the same popularity as the 1911 because there are enough talented gunsmiths working with an abundance of good components to make a plethora of configurations. Ya gotta like that. I might have one someday if we get a good long rifle range in my area.
Safety first

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #274 on: October 13, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »
The AR-15 is an excellent, and highly accurate rifle.  I enjoyed compeating with mine a lot.  I used Varget in my reloads mostly and my Colt would shoot less than a MOA.  Free floating handguards, and the heavier bullets really helped.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #275 on: October 13, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »
Alot of you guys are ripping on Swampman for the way he thinks without looking at both sides of the coin.

Ask yourselves this question.
Where do most non hunters see the "black rifle" being used??

Answer...
On CNN in the hands of a soldier shooting at the bad guys.

Certainly not in the "deer woods"

In that respect... To a non hunter... the "black rifle" is not a sporting arm it is a combat arm.

The first thought of a non hunter might be something like this... "That hunter is using a machine gun to hunt deer"

That same non hunter seeing a hunter with a lever action Winchester probably wouldn't bat an eye.

Personally I am against gun regulations and would rather see hunters and sportsmen "police themselves" just as Swampman has said over and over.

Whether it's right or wrong... we need to think of how a non hunter views us and our sport.
The continuation of our sport depends on it.

"Public Perception"

I'm not saying that anyone here is right or wrong with what they have said... I'm just saying to look at things from the "other side".

Spanky

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »
Finally someone saw what I was getting at all along.  The voice of one crying in the wilderness!!!!!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
The last time I had a discussion with a nonhunter was at a rural grocery store that was also a game registration station. I was registering a number of deer, and the nonhunter was horrified and angered by that fact alone. This person never saw the type of gun I was using, so my point is, it just does not matter to the "haters". They hate hunting and ALL guns, so cowtow to that if you must.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »
Finally someone saw what I was getting at all along.  The voice of one crying in the wilderness!!!!!

;)

Spanky

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »
So just yesterday I took my AR15 out to do a bit of target practice in preparation for the upcoming rifle season next weekend. I asked my 17 year old daughter if she would like to join me. She wanted to go and bring a friend, another 17 year old girl, I agreed. They are both petite girly girls. Her friend said she had never ever even touch a gun of any kind ever and was a little nervous. My daughter is an experienced shooter and fired the AR several time to show her friend it was OK. The friend took detailed instruction from me and fired the AR several times. She said she enjoyed it very much and wanted to do it again. So my point is the AR is a user friendly, easy to shoot, fun gun for anyone interested. The ease of operation of this rifle gained a new fan of the shooing sports and fond memories that will last forever. It is also a great deer rifle in 6.8 SPC.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »
Getting off the topic a little I have to ask SHOOTALL a question-you refer to the war of northern agression. Where would we be now if it hadn't happened? you'd just let'em free on sundays to play some ball?. You and swampy must carpool to work.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »
Getting off the topic a little I have to ask SHOOTALL a question-you refer to the war of northern agression. Where would we be now if it hadn't happened? you'd just let'em free on sundays to play some ball?. You and swampy must carpool to work.

OK... You've had your 15 minutes of fame.
Nothing but a cheap shot and doesn't have anything to do with this question.
A good way to get off on the wrong foot.

Spanky

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »
The last time I had a discussion with a nonhunter was at a rural grocery store that was also a game registration station. I was registering a number of deer, and the nonhunter was horrified and angered by that fact alone. This person never saw the type of gun I was using, so my point is, it just does not matter to the "haters". They hate hunting and ALL guns, so cowtow to that if you must.

Cheese

It matters, and saying it doesn't matter doesn't make it not matter.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #283 on: October 13, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »
So just yesterday I took my AR15 out to do a bit of target practice in preparation for the upcoming rifle season next weekend. I asked my 17 year old daughter if she would like to join me. She wanted to go and bring a friend, another 17 year old girl, I agreed. They are both petite girly girls. Her friend said she had never ever even touch a gun of any kind ever and was a little nervous. My daughter is an experienced shooter and fired the AR several time to show her friend it was OK. The friend took detailed instruction from me and fired the AR several times. She said she enjoyed it very much and wanted to do it again. So my point is the AR is a user friendly, easy to shoot, fun gun for anyone interested. The ease of operation of this rifle gained a new fan of the shooing sports and fond memories that will last forever. It is also a great deer rifle in 6.8 SPC.

Cheese

Way to go Cheese!! I have taken a kid or 2 in addition to my own kids hunting & shooting. One of these boys who I took shooting & hunting (friend of my youngest son) returned from Irac not too long ago. One of the first things he did upon returning was purchase a DPMS 308 & a 45 auto, kinda neat. Cheese, letting this girl shoot an AR type gun was great because it showed this person another side or view of this weapon instead of merely letting this person be influenced by TV as stated before. You were pro active instead of reactive or retreating. This was what I was talking about in the very first post I entered in this thread, it's a matter of education.
This idea of just letting the TV set the agenda is very weak & passive to say the least. if you look at "TV" programs in general you will find the overall theme to be anti-gun & anti hunting, AR has very little to do with it. Set on your butt & let  REGULAR TV influence intead of you working with kids or turn in all of your guns so Rosanne will like you OR BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION, your choice.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2008, 04:41:28 PM »
I want to influence kids to hunt, not make sure they never get to by exhibiting unethical behavior in the game field.  Keep the ARs on the range where they belong.  That's fine.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »
Again, how is using an AR to hunt unethical?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »
How many times do we have to cover that?

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2008, 05:06:22 PM »
Not to get back to the original post or anything, but I have a 16" HBAR carbine that I hunt coyote with. Very accurate with my handloads and 'yotes despise it. Also zapped a couple sitting crows with it. I personally don't think the 223 is a great deer round or I would deer hunt with it. To each his (or her) own.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2008, 06:00:50 PM »
How many times do we have to cover that?

Cover that?  ???

Until you answer the question.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2008, 06:02:27 PM »
Not to get back to the original post or anything, but I have a 16" HBAR carbine that I hunt coyote with. Very accurate with my handloads and 'yotes despise it. Also zapped a couple sitting crows with it. I personally don't think the 223 is a great deer round or I would deer hunt with it. To each his (or her) own.

Go back & read,to Swampy it doesn't matter which cal. AR.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »

Your a sellout...

No, it will be done just like the other nations have done.  They'll start with the semis & pumps.  Obama will do whatever the UN wants him to.  I've considered just going to a muzzleloader,  but I'm thinking blackpowder and it's subs might be the first thing to go.

Your opinion of me is meaningless.  Your insulting me, will not make your unethical conduct ethical.

"I've considered just going to a Muzzleloader"   Well that says it all.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #291 on: October 14, 2008, 02:56:56 AM »
eventualy they will want those too, and you would just sellout anyway.

way to go, cheese.  i have long said that introducing a person to shooting/hunting is the best thing a person can do to protect the second amendment.    turn a potential anti into one of us by giving them a real world education and experience. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #292 on: October 14, 2008, 03:03:30 AM »
swampie , nothing is revelent if it dosen't support your cause ,
Would it not be better to accept the new weapon and educate the public ?
I stated eariler i don't care for the AR, but 2+ generations of service men and women have learned and accepted it as their weapon of choice , they don't care if you or i like it . Like the vets from other wars they like the guns they used and learned and wish to continue to use them in the hunting fields . I had a hard time with this and several post at GB helped open my eyes . Take a step back , a deep breath , forget the battles you are fighting and see the whole picture !
Do you really think the good hunters using AR's should be offended because a FEW slobs misuse the gun ? Put your energy toward cleaning up the slobs and most here will support you !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #293 on: October 14, 2008, 03:05:08 AM »
And bother to give them an ethics lesson while you're at it. Ethics is pretty much a lost art in this country.  M-16s, RPGs, & IEDs aren't hunting tools.

Do you really think the good hunters using AR's should be offended because a FEW slobs misuse the gun ?

This isn't about hunters being offended, it's about non-hunters thinking we are wild eyed lunatics running around in the woods with M-16s.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #294 on: October 14, 2008, 03:19:15 AM »
Define ethics please
And if you for one second believe the weapon defines your mental stablity you are so far off base its not funny !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #295 on: October 14, 2008, 03:53:21 AM »
I can agree w/ Spanky only to an extent... Yes, people see the "black rifle" on CNN almost everyday, In the 60's it was the M14, before that it was the M1 Garand... Before that, there were pictures in the paper of a doughboy carrying an 1903 springfield, Before that it was lever guns, and before that it was muskets , before that, bows... 

My point?  Throughout history, almost every type of weapon used to kill a man, has killed wild game (With the exception of grenade launchers, tanks, rockets, canons ect...)  What Swampman needs to realize, is that we need to police how we act, before, during and after a hunt.  It doesn't matter what your carrying to an Anti, They are still going to see you as a wild eyed, crazy, blood drinking hunter.  They don't care if an animal is killed w/ a rock, or a $2000.00 AR variant... What hunters REALLY need to police are the guys that come driving into town w/ a deer strapped to the hood of their vehicle by which the deer has a cigar hanging out of its mouth, sunglasses on, a ball cap, and a beer duct taped to one of it's hooves...
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #296 on: October 14, 2008, 08:17:31 AM »
And bother to give them an ethics lesson while you're at it. Ethics is pretty much a lost art in this country.  M-16s, RPGs, & IEDs aren't hunting tools.

Do you really think the good hunters using AR's should be offended because a FEW slobs misuse the gun ?

This isn't about hunters being offended, it's about non-hunters thinking we are wild eyed lunatics running around in the woods with M-16s.
blah, blah, blah...

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #297 on: October 14, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »
I don't know where you hunt swampman but I don't have to wade through hordes of nonhunters to get to my blind.

In fact nobody sees me between the time the rifle comes out of it's case to the time it goes back in.

So your argument is completely moot and superfluous

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #298 on: October 14, 2008, 09:19:53 AM »
I agree...

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #299 on: October 14, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »
As defined in Merriam Webster dictionary -
ethics : the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation.

Honestly Swampman what is unethical about hunting with a semi automatic rifle?  If you truly believe it then you are getting sucked into the Pelosi/Schumer/Biden/Kennedy black hole.   That is a slippery slope you walk and it leads towards the absurd but very real bans as we have seen in the UK and Australia.

Oh - by the way, since Britain outlawed virtually all private ownership of firearms (by law or red tape) the crime rate with firearms has increased every year to over 300%.   

I don't own an AR15.....yet .....but there is no problem with using it as a hunting tool.   You obviously have had your logic and thinking molded by whatever the liberal media will have you believe......

I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)