Author Topic: What to build?  (Read 592 times)

Offline CU_Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What to build?
« on: September 27, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »
I might actually have some time to get back to cannon building.  I haven’t had much time in the last year to do much in the hobby.  Between moving, starting a new job and becoming a father (my daughter turns 1 next week) there hasn’t been much time for cannons.  So my question is “what should I build?”. 

I have access to a fairly well equipped machine shop with a 13” Southbend lathe and a Bridgeport milling machine.

My thoughts are: .5 scale mountain howitzer, .5 scale back parrot or some kind of naval cannon.  What does everyone think?

My budget is limited so the project may need to based on the material I can scrounge together.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
Re: What to build?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 09:57:23 AM »
My budget is limited so the project may need to based on the material I can scrounge together.

Sounds like everything I ever built!  ;D

First of all, congrats on being a new father.

Any of the things you mentioned would make a great project. But if your luck is anything like mine, whatever you choose is going to be the one thing that you have the most trouble getting material for.

I would look at my options first, then make a list of what can be built with the materials on hand or readily available.

Of the ones you listed, mountain howitzers and naval guns are everywhere, a pack Parrott would be the most unique.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:34:32 AM »
I had to move the stuff out my office for the carpet layers coming on Monday.  While moving the file cabinet I came across a set of plans for Captain Cooks Cannon.  Interesting piece Naval gun.  If you are not in to big a hurry, after Monday I get everything back in the office, I'll scan them in and post them if you are interested.  The plans are for a full scale gun but could scalled down includes the gun truck. 

Even more interesting.  The plans were drawn by Australian Defence Standards Laboratory and the gun looks like the one Owen reported in A find in a workshop

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 01:41:48 PM »
     CU_Cannon,   You have a very unique cannon just down the coast from you about 85 miles in New Canaan, CT.  It is a 4.5 Inch Blakely Siege & Navy Rifle.  Two of these were used by Confederate forces at the investment of Fort Pulaski in 1862; they were transported north to West Point after the battle and were subsequently returned in the 1930s during the refurbishment of the fort.  We believe only three of these survive in the United States today and you are fortunate indeed to have one so close to your home.  The tube size is perfect for a 1/4 Scale project. 

This link gets you to one of the best artillery sites on the net today and also a darn good photo of this gun as it is mounted at Fort Pulaski, GA. 

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/inventors/Blakely.htm

Single Click on the image for a nice large size.

Send us an email if you are interested in helping us measure this British naval rifle and doing a field drawing on the 18th or 19th of October.  We doubt that we will find a carriage there, but you can create a carriage drawing from the trunnion dia., the distance between the rimbases and the tube's OAL and a copy of a good photo.  At 1/4 scale the 96" tube length would be 24" and the scale bore would be very, very close to the 4 Brooke rifles that we have to rifle in November or December.  The Blakely's rifling was almost identical to the Brooke's hook-slant, 7 x 7 style.  The bore size would be 1.125" vs. the 1.167' of the Brooke.  Looking at the muzzle, you couldn't tell the difference.  Who knows, maybe a reasonable cost rifled liner or tube could be in your future.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

P.S.  Do you still have that beautiful Coehorn Mortar?

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 10:02:59 AM »
DoubleD, I for one, would be very interested in the scanned plans for the Cook gun. Especially since it includes the gun truck.

Thx
MikeR C

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 10:39:59 AM »
I would love to say all of the above but I need to think one at a time.

The pack parrot would be quick and straight forward to build.  At some point I would like to build a full scale pack parrot.

Right now I’m leaning towards a boat howitzer that I drew up a while back.  I may be able to get a piece of steel from a coworker for free that would be about the right size.

Another option would be a swivel gun.  There is a nice on in roundshot and rammers that would be relatively easy to copy. 

There are a couple of 32 pdr seacoast cannons down the road at Fort Griswold that would make a nice model. 

I also haven’t ruled out building a Lyle gun.  There are a couple at Mystic Seaport that I may be able to get measurements off of.

So many decisions…

DD, I’m always open to getting some new plans so post away.  It just makes the project list a little bigger. 

Mike and Tracy, Unfortunately I have a wedding that weekend so I’m not going to be able to give you a hand.  It sounds like an interesting trip some weekend. I still have the 12 pdr Coehorn but I haven’t had too much time to get it out to do any firing. 

Here are some drawings of some of my options.

Boat Howitzer

Pack Parrot