Author Topic: lee six gang mold for 45 colt  (Read 942 times)

Offline adirondacker

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
lee six gang mold for 45 colt
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
i need a mold for my 45 colt.the one i have will not throw large enough dia bullets.will the 255 grn mould throw 454 d bullets?thanks,adker

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: lee six gang mold for 45 colt
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 02:21:32 AM »
with typical lee quality control i could tell you yes and youd get your mold and it wouldnt. Ive never had the best luck with some of lees uncoventional swc designs. I think youd be much better off finding a lyman or rcbs 2 cavity mold or a lyman 4 cavity mold that cast a proper swc. There made of steal and will last a lifetime and there easier to cast with. Aluminum molds have many quirks that make them tougher for a beginning caster to deal with. Especially if you ladle casting with a 6 cavity mold.
blue lives matter

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 03:25:36 AM »
i need a mold for my 45 colt.the one i have will not throw large enough dia bullets.will the 255 grn mould throw 454 d bullets?thanks,adker
   I read that you can take and cast a bullet and then put a screw in the center of the bullet then put lapping compound on it chuck it up in a drill and lap it out to a bigger die. be careful as to how much you lap it so you don't go over the size you want D Crockett

Offline adirondacker

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:35:45 AM »
the mold i was using was one i had gotten from you loyd,that 6 gang 230 grn flat nose.i wasn't having any problem with the bullets,i use a bottom pour lyman,no ladle.the problem was that when sized 452 i didn.t have enough case tension to hold the bullet securely.both my cylinder and barrel measure 449.i know the bullet was the right size after checking that.the problem was not the mold,or the dia of the bullet,it was the die i was using.i hunted around and found another die set,a hornady titanium,that size the brass at .002 smaller,problem solved.
 as far as experience with that mold i have cast about 4000 noses with that particular mold.in the last year i have cast and loaded over 250 lbs of lead, from 30/30 to 50 alaskan,not as much as some but i am sure quite abit more than most.probably 2/3 of them have been cast with aluminum molds,most lee six gang.i will admit some patience and quality control need to be practiced by the caster but the molds seem to perform fine with some miner alterations.thanks,adker