Author Topic: Best 9mm ever  (Read 11561 times)

Offline jw83

• Trade Count: (5)
Best 9mm ever
« on: September 28, 2008, 10:29:48 AM »
I'm wanting to pick up a 9mm, was wondering what everybody's opinion is on the best 9mm ever?

Offline BullyDawg19

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best 9mm ever
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 12:08:03 PM »
Ever? Hmmmmmmm. How bout the Browning Hi Power. Still an excellent weapon. Almost 80 years old .

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:32:19 PM »
If you want a true 1911 look at STI.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
Hi-Power.  Mikey.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »
Glock 17 or 19.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »
P226 Sig would be my first choice. G17 Glock is maybe better but the grip angle doesn't agree with me and I am suspicious of the trigger (probably for no good reason). Intended use of said 9mm would get a more suitable answer. A PM9 Kahr and a P226 Sig have little except chambering in common, but are both very good weapons in there respective roles.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 02:41:24 PM »
Well, the Hi Power, of course! Of course the CZ75 is not too shoddy either. My pick of the plastics would be the Glock 19.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 07:10:44 PM »
There are many well made and high quality 9mm's on the market but when all is said and done...............it is awful hard to beat the Sig 226.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »
I've got a CZ75 I bought one day when we had some nut go crazy and shoot 5 people (3 died) I was working at the gun shop and dint have my regular carry with me. So far it hasant failed to fire commerical or hand loaded and its a good shooter. It gets carried everyday now.

Gun Runner

Offline jgalar

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »
CZ75.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 02:20:47 AM »
None of the metal guns will hold up to 100,000+ rounds without major problems.  That's why I said Glock.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 04:23:36 AM »
Swampman,
Horse Hockey!  I have a Sig P226 with more than 15,000 rounds and no prolems and my P229 is headed there 7-8K so far.
I can not shoot the Glocks  the grip angle is off for me and most do not point right for me.  The 19 actually points in the general direction for me.  I don't bash the plastic guns and I own one that is the Smith & Glock and the other is a Sig ( but it's a .40).  But i really like my Aluminium framed Sigs.  I also like a hammer on my gun.  Just personal preferance.
As far as the current group of handguns go.  Think pick up trucks.  Basically a 1500, F150, or what ever the Japaneese trucks are modeled will carry 1/2 ton of stuff and the features and benifits are what are going to sell you as well as the cost.  I have owned about 8 9mm handguns over the past 18 years and all have worked well with most types of ammo.  The Walther P-1 (Al Framed P-38) the Luger, and the Astra 600 did not like most hollow point designs.  The Mauser Broom handle did like the Rem golden sabers as they really look like a FMJ in Profile.  Anything I have had in the Double stack has been able to shoot all brands and designs of hollow point.
A friend had a Beretta 92 that he loved till he heard about the frame problem and then it was a hunk of crap and he traded it off for a Sig.  It never had a prolem and he shot a lot of ammo through it but a rummor about government models having a problem and he jumped ship.  You will hear lots of horror stories about every brand as well as guys that will defend their gun to the end.  If you want proof look in the Hi Point site here and those guys love thos things.   But then again there are t shirts out there that say I'd rather push my Ford than ride in a Chevy.  I think some of the shooters are the same way and nothing is as good as what they shoot.  Take the whole cult of COLT and the 1911 guys.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 07:18:54 AM »
The Browning Hi-Power or the Sig 226/228 series. I like these because they shoot where they point.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 07:30:50 AM »
I have a Sig P226 with more than 15,000 rounds and no prolems and my P229 is headed there 7-8K so far.

I said a Glock will last 100,000+ rounds without a problem.  I know of one that had 150,000+ run through it.

There an instance of a Glock that spent 6 months in the ocean and still worked fine.

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
Swampman,
I find Glocks very useful tools. I have owned several, and still own three. Don't get so full of the koolaid that you think Glocks are the do all, end all of auto pistols. The are many others that do some things as well as a Glock, and some that do them better. There are other platforms that frequently go well over 100k rds without major problems. IPSC/USPSA frequently exceed that amount between overhauls. The early mdl Hi Powers weren't very durable, but the newer ones are pretty much as durable as anything out there. I assure you that by the time my Glocks approach 100k rds, (If not before) they will require some attention. I have a mdl 22 that has some slide peening and has cracked a locking block at less than 10k rds. My mdl 17 had a broken trigger spring at about 15k rds. Glocks are indeed durable and will last a long time with proper maintenance including small part and spring replacements. Most shooters will never exceed 10rds thru one gun in a lifetime, so using that logic they are all durable enough. The difference then must be in ergonomics and shootability. Looks may play a part too-------------- ;)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 08:36:36 AM »
one that has been switched to a .40 S&W
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »
Give me some time.  I'll get there with my Sigs.  Especally the P-229.  that thing is way over built for the 9mm.  Can't feel the +P ammo that I can in the P-226.  I used to load three rounds of what ever I was using and load a +P corbon round and then top off the mag.  With my 226 or the Smith & Glock I can feel the extra bump of the hot load.  With the 229 that was made for the 40 S&W and the 357 Sig no added recoil.  Screws up my plan for steel/ 3 gun shoots.  I just need to learn to count when I am shooting the gun.
I never said that the Glocks were bad or bad mouthed them in any way I just said that they do not fit me and I want to tell the gun where to point not the other way.  With the 17/34 I am aiming in the air and have to rotate my hands down to get on target.  Hey that's what's great about America lots of choices and designs.  By the way let's go over who all carries Sig.  Homeland Security, FBI, Seals, Secret Service, Texas Rangers, The US Army as the M10 and M11, The police in Plattburg NY, and many more that I don't have time or the room to cover here.  OK the Glock is carried by The Iraqi Military and the NYPD.  I'm sure that all have been tested to 100K rounds.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 03:55:13 PM »
Add another for the Browing Hi-Power.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline NYH1

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 06:46:10 AM »
I like the Glock's, Sig Sauer's, Smith & Wesson M&P plus a few of their steel framed pistols, Kimber and Springfield 1911 9mm's.  It really doesn't matter what we like.  You have to go handle as many different brands and styles as you can.  Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.  You have to find whats best for you.  The best 9mm is a quality made one that you like and shoot good.  ;) 
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 07:00:12 AM »
which "9mm" are we talking about? the 9x17mm (.380 auto)  the 9x18 (9mm Makarov), 9x19 (9mmP, 9mm Nato), 9x21 IMI, 9x23Winchester, 9mm Supercomp? I ask because I have a 9mm that is not 'mainstream' but is none the less, reliable, accurate, powerful and controllable. Can I play here too?
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »
Sharon,
I took it as 9X19 (9mm Luger)  But good reminder that there are about 30 different 9mm's including 38 Super and 357 Sig. The Galistini, Largo, Steyer, Bayard, and others.  Sorry I don't have Cartridges of the world in front of me.

Offline jw83

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 03:25:47 PM »
Yeah guess I should have specified, 9x19. Seems to be a lot of votes for hi power's and sigs. Anybody like the springfield xd?

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »
Browning Hi-Pwer is one classy auto. It is accurate and has never let me down.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »
in the 9x19 I pick the 1911 and P35, in that order.
SharonAnne

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 02:55:02 AM »
I'm wanting to pick up a 9mm, was wondering what everybody's opinion is on the best 9mm ever?

This question is kind of like asking 'What is the best flavor ice cream?'  Everyone has their own preference.

Also the question is way too open.  Best 9mm for what?   concealed carry?  duty carry?  competitive target shooting?  plinking?

For fending off a a full out assault against well armed, multiple adversaries I'ld vote for a Mac M-11/9.     
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 03:58:13 AM »
M-1 carbine in 9mm Winchester Magnum. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 01:13:07 PM »
Now Joe, I was told 9x19, if my 9x23 can't play neither can your 9mm magnum ;)
SharonAnne

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »
LOL

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 03:55:27 AM »
HK P7M8

You have to buy into the operating system. Price keeps most folks away though.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 04:32:10 AM »
Browning HiPower,     Doug
a armed man is his own master