Author Topic: Best 9mm ever  (Read 11563 times)

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best 9mm ever
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 04:17:41 PM »
Beretta model 1951/57
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »
Yeah guess I should have specified, 9x19. Seems to be a lot of votes for hi power's and sigs. Anybody like the springfield xd?

Obviously, I have a strong vote for the XD.  I have THOUSANDS of rounds through mine without a single problem.  Mine is the 3" subcompact 9mm.  I carry it quite a bit and also love to shoot it at the range.  It is extremely reliable and I think it shoot better dirty than it does clean! :)

I can't wait until the 19+1 round XDM 9mm become available in my area!!!!!  I'll definitely have one!  I'll probably trade my current XD in for it!  Talk about a home defense weapon!
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »
i had an H&K P7 pre M8. It had the heel mount mag release. Great little gun. Very heavy for its size. FWIW, never shoot corrosive ammo in one. It will eat the striker spring.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »
19 rds for home defense! And I was told my 14 rd .45 was a lot!!!
SharonAnne

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 10:03:40 PM »
When I ask this question, I did a lot of reading and determined that the cz75 was my best bet.  I managed to find a NIB unfired pre B model.  They are tough guns but I have to say the guns I was choosing between were it, the hi power, and the sig.  I do not think you could go wrong with any of them.  Just see what fits your hand the best and don't look back. 

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2008, 10:21:51 PM »
Matt, I agree with 'what fits your hand' but there is more. My room mate bought a Walther 99 because of how it felt in her hand. When she shot it she was dismayed at the recoil. I tried it and it was the hardest recoiling 9mmP I ever shot. It kicked harder than my Para P14-45. There are no replacement recoil springs. So now she has a very expensive paper weight.
SharonAnne

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 11:36:23 PM »
I agree with you SharonAnne.  But in this case my reference was to the three pistols I looked at getting and the same three listed by many in this thread.  All three are heavy, service type pistols, which is what I was in the market for.  And when I think of the best 9 ever, I fall back to this type of pistol for its durability, reliability, and shootability.  The three are all proven guns and simular in the regrads of durability, reliability, and shootability so I guess I could have worded that better to get my reference across.

I have shot a p99 in 40sw ( I think) and it was not my cup of tea either.  I remember helping a guy at the range that could not hit the paper with it and kept on about how the ammo was bad, so I said let me see it.  I just remember a bad trigger, but don't remember the recoil.  I found the paper but the group was poor.

On a simular note, I never liked the feel of the glocks until I shot one.  It felt great the way it dispersed the recoil.  I still don't own one but would consider one now.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 01:40:26 AM »
The "best" 9mm ever could have several correct answers, and I recently bought a beretta M9.  I like the look and feel of it, and it reminds me of being back in the service.  Shoots where I aim and is has been reliable so far.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 12:45:37 AM »
SharonAnne:  FWIW, I have never known a Walther to give it up to accuracy on the first da shot.  Not once!  The best ones were the PP/PPK size pistols - those I could control da and were pretty much ok, but the P-38 size - nope, not even; soemthing about the trigger reach, long da pull and Ruger Super Blackhawk like hammer fall..... 

I understand the new Walther P99 and its mechanical twin, the S&W99 are still pretty much offshoots of the P-38 yet I do not recall if they both also use a dual captured spring recoil system, but both have heavy for the caliber slides so I would expect some recoil.  I would send off a quick e-mail to Wolff Springs and see if they have anything that could help cut down on that recoil.  Otherwise I would recommend that your friend lose the piece.

I don't know where you are from or how difficult it is to buy and sell pistols in your neck of the woods but if the Walther is not to your roomie's liking then she should definately get something else. 

I hate to say this but if this is a 'house gun', I would not worry about its looks, I would just get the least most expensive functional working handgun in the best caliber she can handle and use that - I find no sense to the thought that I should have a $1,000 handgun for home defense that the cops are going to take and either destroy or permanently mar and maybe not even get it back to you, should it ever be used.  I would save the more expensive carry piece for carry options, Sunday go to Meetin' socials or range work.

That being said, I would forget the handgun.  If you want firepower get either a SKS and trick it with a 20-30 round magazine or get a AKS.  Either should cost lots less than a handgun and give you one hay of a lot more firepower and it is no big sweat if the cops come and take it after a shoot - you can always get another whereas with a pistol your ccw may be in jeopardy after a shoot.  If you never thought about the penetration of a 9mm round through sheet rock walls then don't worry about the 7.62x39mm penetrating - although you can most likely throw more 'over-expanders' down the barrel of either a SKS or a AKS than down the tube of a 9mm.  If you think 19 rounds of 9x19 or 14 rounds of 9x23 is what is necessary to clear your home in 'an event', think of how much more comfortable you will feel with 30 rounds of AK-47 ammo in your hands.......

JMTCW.  Mikey. 

ps:  think would your roomie could effectly deal with a light frame 1911 in 38 Super/9x23???

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 06:47:54 AM »
Mikey, thank you for the feed back. My roomie was thinking of getting into local competition. She REALLY wanted to pick her own gun, not use one of mine. I had stressed to her the importance of having a gun that fit your hand well. The Walther 99 really does feel good in the hand.
She is going to sell it. We live in Phoenix,AZ so pistol sales are easy.

Lately I have been having her handle the Essential Arms frame I am slowly building up as my 9x23 back up competition gun. I have installed a poorly fit beavertail and arched mainspring housing plus a trigger and leaf spring. Just something to get a feel for the setup. She likes it. I will, when $ is available continue the build up. The one thing she really does not like on my Para is the front strap checkering. The EA is smooth. We shall see. With money being tight it will take a while. With me being disabled and my income cut in half it is tough.
SharonAnne

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 05:55:50 PM »
I have had numerous brands of 9MM and for myself, my favorite is the XD 9 subcompact.   It gets carried ALL of the time and have now put several thousand rounds thru it.  It has never failed me and it shoots where I point it.  Personally, I have owned several Glocks in the past and have none in my cabinet in any caliber.   Some people love them, but for me, they are not my favorite.   I had two fail with firing pin failures in less than 6 months time.   That soured me on them but know others swear by them.  Funny for a rather cheap 9MM, one of earlier carry guns in all kinds of climates that never let me down was the lowly Ruger P95.

I agree that the Sigs are great too. Little more money but if it fits, buy what fits you is most critical.

Offline Nasty Jack

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 07:49:48 AM »
I'm wanting to pick up a 9mm, was wondering what everybody's opinion is on the best 9mm ever?

Who's the best looking babe in the world? What's the best car ever made? What's your favorite ice cream flavor? What's your favorite color?

-- You see where this is headed?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2008, 08:58:58 AM »
my wife ( she reads this )
the truck i drive .
can't have it , so any would be good !
green , with presidents pictures on it !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
Shoot all,
LOL that's good.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 04:03:51 AM »
If pushed - Browning HP , i hit better with it than any other gun , go figure

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2008, 05:40:32 AM »
and my dog is bigger than your dog, etc, etc, etc!
SharonAnne

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 05:53:44 AM »
so  what does that mean ?

must be a big dog !

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 09:53:40 AM »
It means the 'best' can be argued forever when there is no criteria defining best. Therefore it becomes a shouting match. Whoever shouts loudest and longest wins. Without objective standards of measurement, the 'best' cannot ever be determined.
SharonAnne

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 03:01:44 AM »
I agree with that !

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »
I would recommend the Springfield Armory XD series.    Have had it with the Glocks and I for one never got close to the 100,000 mark before it had to be overhauled.  I hear these stories but my son in law enforcement has to carry a Glock and he hates it.  They do not fit a lot of hands but I hear a lot of Bs about how great they are.  Sure you buy what you can perform with.  My XD has been flawless as well as my Rugers, S&W, etc.

Offline Savage

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2008, 02:20:41 AM »
The average shooter will never have to worry about wearing out a gun. In my club the average USPSA shooter shoots about 500rds a month in competition and maybe that many in pratice. At that rate it'd take over 8 yrs to reach the 100k mark. As all the ones I know reload, that's a minimum of .20 per rd, or about $2400+ a yr for ammo. Few casual shooters, (No Club Affiliation) will shoot that much centerfire in a lifetime. Some shooters claim to shoot 500 rds a session out in the desert, or a dump somewhere. One certainly couldn't call that pratice! That sounds like just burning ammo, and ingraining a lot of sloppy shooting habits, not to mention expensive! Just buy the pistol that you like, for whatever reason, and shoot it all you want. Most of us will never live to wear out any of the quality pistols on the market today.  Still think the BHP is at the top of the heap!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline dbriannelson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2008, 03:00:09 AM »
"Best" needs definition.  Does it mean most durable, most reliable, easiest to maintain, most accurate, easiest to conceal, some combination of those is some specific proportions...what?

I think the P08 Luger is among the most beautifully machined, interestingly designed handguns ever made.  The P35 Browning "Renaissance" has been another standard of beauty since before I was a kid, and it held many bullets.  I had a LaFrance "Nova" once that fit in my front pocket and I would have kept it except it had too much value and could get me two other handguns I really wanted.  And the use of plastics, while of no aesthetic value at all, does make very efficient and portable machines possible.

At this point I don't own any 9mm's.  The round simply isn't interesting to shoot, and I certainly have no interest in chasing brass around the floor of the range.  It does make possible a good balance of many bullets and reasonable size for those who find those attributes of value.  But let me speculate...

...if I were to be limited to buying and owning only one pistol and it would have to be in 9mm, it would probably be a Star BKM, if I could find one.  The small single-action pistol with the aluminum frame and straw-colored hammer and trigger was a work of art.  Then I'd see if I could find Tim LaFrance and have him slick it up for me.

-Don
Semper Fi.  (1803/0210)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2008, 09:06:04 AM »
I have small hands and even the classy Hi-power feels a little too blocky for me.  I do just fine with an old Star BM or BKM.  I owned (and shot) a Walther P-38, that was an over-rated hunk of junk.  This was a german wartime gun with the eagles proofmarks.  Very mushy trigger and was very inaccurate.  Shot a Luger once, trigger wasn't much better but at least it was accurate.  I seriously thought about a Hi Power, but the grip felt squared off to my rather small hands. I owned a couple of Glocks, but again, too long of a reach to the trigger for my hands.  So it's back to a 1911 platform to fit my hands.  But if I'm going to shoot a 1911, I want it to be in .45!  44 Man.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline danza

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »
i'm in the springfield armory XD crowd...i do have a ruger P95DC, too, that is very, very, reliable and accurate. (both are 9x19mm)

i'm also in the "used to own a glock" crowd...i would consider another but now prefer the XD or Colt 1911...

Offline 41 magnum

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2008, 02:06:01 AM »
I'm a Hi Power guy too
shot a 299-22x back in the Spring
I also like a Springfield & Ruger (ones newer than 10 yrs have a Bo-Mar barrel=accurate)

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS

Maker of trappers tools and gear, have an idea?  Let's talk !

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2008, 05:40:09 PM »
My experience is limited to five 9mm's.  Here are some thoughts-

I carried as a duty weapon, and put about 5,000 rounds thru a Beretta 92.  Jammed a few times, grip kind of big, well made, accurate.

Ruger P85, another duty weapon - jammed now and then (magazine problems mostly), decent DA trigger, decent accuracy.  A money saver for Departments buying based on price.  A private citizen could choose better though.

Browning HP - very well made, accurate, great feeling grip, only a few jams in a lot of rounds.  Sweet with a set of stag grips...

Glock 19 & 26 - light weight, very natural grip, nice trigger action, very accurate, tough finish, maybe 15 thousand rounds of FMJ, 5 thousand of Winchester 115 grn HP between both guns WITHOUT any jams.  The model 19 seems to have a tight chamber, and is not lead load friendly unless the bullets are sized small.

My choice?  The Glocks.  For a practical do everything weapon, they just plain work.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2008, 06:05:48 AM »
'41 magnum' perhaps you mean 'Bar-Sto' barrels. Bo-mar made sights.
SharonAnne

Offline federali

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 04:46:27 AM »
Well, I own a Hi-Power, a SIG 226, a Kahr P9 and three Glocks, all 9mm. Rather than ask what's the best 9mm, you need to ask yourself if you'd prefer a single action handgun (Hi-Power) or the more contemporary double action systems. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
If you're not comfortable carrying cocked and locked, then perhaps a 1911 platform is not for you. Once the official military sidearm of 68 nations, the Hi-Power has given way to double action systems. Even Israel's Massad recently retired their Hi-Powers in favor of compensated Glock 19s. Yet, I wouldn't part with my own Hi-Power.

Further, double actions must be further divided into double action only (DAO) or traditional double/single action. Regarding every modern design on the market today, some will swear by them and an equal number will swear at them.So select a quality arm that pleases you, keep it clean, feed it good ammo and you shouldn't have any problems.

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2008, 10:29:59 AM »
For me, when I think of the "best 9mm ever" , it would have to be the Rohrbaugh R9. 
They are more or less the same size as a p3at / LCP. I pocket carry one daily. 
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »
  MP-40.  There!  I said it!   You want to kick some a** with a 9mm, you want the MP-40.  Who needs a good holster when you have a submachine gun hanging on a sling.

A High Power or a Glock may be more practical, but given a choise you know you want the MP-40  :)