Author Topic: Spray on Rain Guard?  (Read 645 times)

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Spray on Rain Guard?
« on: August 05, 2003, 03:18:11 AM »
Do you think it's possible to make a product that will work like Rain Guard that is applied by the optics owners? I'm sure it wouldn't last like Rain Guard as it is a permanent coating. If someone came out with such a product that would last at least a week or two in the field it would be worth a fortune. Think of all of the optics already in use. You could use it on scopes, binoculars, and spotting scopes. Rain Gurad is a good product but you have to buy new optics to get it. If you already own good optics why buy new just to get the Rain Guard?  Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Spray on Rain Guard?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 04:03:33 AM »
Sound like a good idea, but I think that a spray on coating will affect the clarity on the scope.  Have you ever looked thru a pair of sunglasses that have a thin spray on them.  Not very clear.  Looks fuzzy.  Dave, you better work on that, become that millionaire.  :shock:
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Spray on Rain Guard?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 05:28:23 AM »
There are numerous such products on the market today. Their primary purpose being to keep eye glasses free of fog and even one or two for windshields. In all cases the ones I've tried leave a film on the surface that makes it more difficult to see than if the glasses were mildly fogged.

Could such a product be developed that wouldn't do that? Dunno. Seems to me as many such products as there are out there if so someone would have by now.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

Spray on Rain Guard?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 02:11:42 PM »
I've never tried anything on my optics. I use RainX on our vehicles and it works well in other than mist. When I posted "spray on" I had in mind you would need to still wipe the lens down too. My bad. I feel it will come in time now that our ground forces are using optics much more. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein